Allergy Community
eYE

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

eYE

MY DAUGHTER IS DETECTED WITH LAZY EYE IN ONE EYE. DAUGHTER IS PRESCRIBED WITH SOMAZINA. SHE IS 15 YRS OLD. CAN SHE TAKE IT. IS THERE ANY SIDE EFFECT OF THIS MEDICINE?
  • Amblyopia (1 replies):
    Hi!, My daughter, 8 years old was just diagnosed with...[more]
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi ma’am,

How are you? Does your daughter have refractive errors or cataract? What is the dosage of Somazina given?  Amblyopia, commonly known as lazy eye, is the eye condition noted by reduced vision not correctable by glasses or contact lenses and is not due to any eye disease. It is estimated that three percent of children under six have some form of amblyopia. Anything that interferes with clear vision in either eye during the critical period (birth to 6 years of age) can cause amblyopia. Treatment involves glasses, drops,vision therapy, and/or patching. Amblyopia can often be reversed if it is detected and treated early. Recent medical research has proven that amblyopia is successfully treated up to the age of 17. If left untreated or if not treated properly, the reduced vision or amblyopia becomes permanent and vision cannot be improved by any means.

The most effective way of treating amblyopia is to make the child use the affected eye. Covering or patching the good eye to force the use of the amblyopic eye may be necessary to ensure equal and normal vision. Regular visits to your doctor are a must for proper evaluation and management.

Somazina, as far as I know, has citicoline as main component, classified as a CNS stimulant. It increases blood flow and oxygen consumption in the brain. It is also involved in the biosynthesis of lecithin. According to a study published at Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol., it can improve visual acuity in amblyopic patients

You can learn more about this through this links:  
http://www.aravind.org/patientcorner/amblyopia.asp
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7622080

I hope this helps.Take care and regards.