Allergy Community
ear has been making popping sounds for years

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Every since I was about 5 or 6 ( maybe even younger) everytime i swallow or whenever i want to popp my ears i do. Is this normal. im so used to it, but i have always had ear problems. Doctor once said I have a swimmers ear, and I was thinking it might have happened because when I was one years old i had meningitis. Also, Many times during the week, i would hear ringing in my ears. Then eventually it would go away. I want to know if this popping ( i used to say my ears are cracking) is normal? Thanks so much.

Ear popping (barotraumas)while swaloowing is caused by pressure differences between the inside and outside of the eardrum.If it worsens then it indicates there is blockage of left eustachean tube.It is a membrane lined tube that connects the middle ear space to the back of the nose.Its main purpose is to check the ear pressure changes in the middle ear.

Are you having any cold,allergies,sinusitis,ear pain or post nasal drip?All these can lead to eustachean tube blockage.It can also be due to sinus congestions,ear wax or ear infections. In my opinion getting an ENT examination will be better as without examination,confirming a diagnosis is tough.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted if you have any additional queries.Kind regards.