Allergy Community
ear tubes, and adenoids(adenoids)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

ear tubes, and adenoids(adenoids)

MY DAUGHTER IS 4 YEARS OLD, AND IN THE PAST MONTH FAILED 2 HEARING TESTS AT HER REGULAR DOCTOR.  HER PEDIATRICIAN RECOMMENDED US TO AN EAR NOSE AND THROAT DOCTOR.  AT THE ENT MY DAUGHTER FAILED ANOTHER HEARING TEST AND THEY SAID SHE HAS FLUID IN HER EARS.  THE DOCTOR PUT HER ON SOME MEDICINE, AND SAID TO COME BACK IN A MONTH AND HE WANTS TO PUT TUBES IN HER EARS AND TAKE HER ADENOIDS (adenoids) OUT.  HOWEVER, MY HUSBAND IS REALLY SCARED ABOUT THE WHOLE SITUATION AND DOESN'T WANT OUR DAUGHTER TO HAVE THE SURGERY.  CAN YOU PLEASE TELL US WHAT THESE PROCEDURES ENTAIL, AND HOW EXTENSIVE THEY ARE, AND WHAT EXACTLY HAPPENS DURING THE SURGERY.  I FEEL THAT THIS WILL PUT MY HUSBANDS MIND AT EASE.  
THANK YOU
SINCERELY,
JESSICA HAACK
My daughter has had repeated ear infections since about age 2.  She is 8 right now.  She almost always has had fluid in either or both ears every time she has gotton her ears examined.  The fluid almost seems to never go away, but on the rare occasion it has.  She had tubes put in both ears at age 5.  We waited a long time because of conflicting doctor opinions.  At the time she was tested,she had significant hearing loss in one ear, which was a big factor in our decision.  The tubes lasted a little over a year.  They actually fall out of the ear drum after a while.  She ended up having tubes in again around age 6, and having her adenoids (adenoids) and tonsils removed at the same time.  The tubes lasted, again, about a year.  Having the tubes placed did significantly improve the incidence of ear infections.  The operation for just having the tubes put in was quick, and she was hopping around the recovery room soon after the procedure.  No pain for her.  As a parent, we were worried, as any parent would.  But, the procedure went off without a hitch.  The second operation was a bit more involved, and took longer, about 30 minutes.  Having the tonils removed is the most painful, the adenoids (adenoids) not as much.  It took about 10 days to recover fully.  She was on Tylenol, with codeine?  for about 5 days.  It was painful for her, but they rebound quick.  Her tubes are now out, and we have had 3 ear infections since March, so we are going back to our ENT.  I think I am going to ask about allergy testing, as I think that has a role in this pattern of infections.  Good luck to you and if you have any questions, let me know.
My son is 11 years old and he was a chronic ear infection baby, toddler, etc------we were sent to an ENT and was told ear tube, tonsils and adnoids-----wow were in duh land------I have lots of surgeries but this one was totally different---it was my baby---but in all honesty it well---he went through the surgery very well and was home with me that afternoon------they gave him some pain medication and some antibiotics for home-----when we were told he was needing them we thought they would come out in 1 year----we are one 2 years now with the same tubes.......they said it was fine----but I will have to add that he has had several ear infections since the tubes were put in-----it is a very short procedure i must add.......