Allergy Community
excessive coughing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

excessive coughing

I started taking ditliazem ER 240 mg once a day, cant stop coughing and ribs are killing and bringing up phelgm.stayed clear now Its yellowish. Is it because if med ir something else? I also have asthma and allergies
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Cough can occur as a side effect to the medication diltiazem, but cough with yellow sputum could indicate an infective pathology. You will need to consult your doctor who may need to do a sputum culture and sensitivity to determine what antibiotic the organism is susceptible to.  He may even ask for blood test and an X ray. In the meantime take OTC acetaminophen for the pain, try to take warm oral fluids and do steam inhalations prior to your meals. This helps to loosen up and bring out the secretions.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.