Allergy Community
excessive phlegm

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

excessive phlegm

I have excessive phlegm, but no cough, seems to be worse after I eat. I am constantly clearing my throat, & getting a sore throat b/c of trying to clear it all the time.  I'm getting some relief from Allegra, and some natural remedies, but it's not enough.
You seem to be having post nasal drip. Post-nasal drip (PND) occurs when excessive mucus is produced by the sinuses. The excess mucus accumulates in the throat or back of the nose. It can be caused by rhinitis, sinusitis, or laryngopharyngeal acid reflux. It can be enhanced or sometimes even caused by allergies.

Please check out with an ENT specialist if you are having chronic rhinitis or sinusitis. If you have chronic sinusitis then it can lead to continuous production of mucus and less drainage leading to post nasal drip. Transillumination test and X-Ray or CT sinuses can help in diagnosing it. If allergic rhinitis is the cause of PND then it can be diagnosed by skin ***** tests or blood tests like RAST.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Hi sir im very woried also. I have same exact thing I eat as soon as I eat I feel like I cant burp and I have to vomit. When I vomit I vomit thick clear mucus like thing. My parter is an l v n and he thinks it bile. I get to the point where I  cant even brath at times. I went to gastrologist and they just give me antiacids but it dosnt help another thing I notice my skin gets very  itchy and sometimes I take benadryl is this conected dont know what is causing my allergies though .