Allergy Community
exercise induced allergy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

exercise induced allergy?

For several months now, I have been dealing with excessive mucus/trouble breathing.  The symptoms occur primarily after intense exercise, although they have, at times, occurred after a heavy meal or eating late at night.  I am working with doctor, have had a pulmonary function test, and she has told me I have asthma, as well as GERD, and that the asthma may well be related to allergies.  I am now taking Symbicort, Flonase, Singulair, and Albuterol as needed.  I am 45, in good shape, and have been an athlete all my life.  Although the mucus is somewhat decreased as I have been on these medicines--Symbicort and Flonase for about two months, and Singulair for about 15 days, I still have trouble after intense exercise (running).  Oddly enough, I am fine once the exercise gets going (a bit of chest tightness at the beginning, which typically goes away), but then several hours later will develop a sore throat, and then a feeling of the inability to take a deep breath.

Just this morning, I developed almost the same symptoms after eating pistachio nuts, the first time that has happened--that prompted me to think this is an allergic reaction--and my web search pointed me to exercise induced allergies.  I would appreciate any information on whether this might be GERD related, or exercise-induced, or anything else.  It's frustrating--exercise is one of the things I have been able to count on all my life, and to see to it declining troubles me.  Thanks for any input.

This is most probably related to your asthma and the GERD. You could take a couple of puffs of levosalbutamol before starting your exercise and see if it helps with your symptoms.

You could be having allergic reactions too- consult your doctor or allergy specialist for a confirmed diagnosis.

Are you on any medications for your GERD?

Let us know about how you are doing and if you have any doubts.

Regards.