Allergy Community
flonase and weight gain
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

flonase and weight gain

I have been on flonase once a day for 1 year, I have gained 25 lbs in that time.  My eating habits have not changed and have been an excessive exercise addict my whole life (44).  No matter what I do I can not shed the weight, infact if I don't exercise I gain about a pound a week.  I am also taking astelin daily.  Is it possible my nonallergic rhinitis meds are causing my weight problem
Related Discussions
-6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
313143_tn?1239386479
Flonase is a corticosteroid, so theoretically it has the potential to cause excess cortisol hormone in your body.  This can result in a rare condition called Cushing's Syndrome, which in turn can cause weight gain to your midsection.

Unless you are experiencing other hypercortisolism features, I would expect that the weight gain is actually caused by the Astelin.  Although it is an antihistamine, it is actually a nervous system depressant.
Blank
Thanks for the reply.  I think you are right, I have been off of the flonase for 4 days and although swelling in my face (moon shape) has decreased, my appetite has only slightly decreased.  All and all I do feel much better with my reduction in medication and the swelling in my turbinates has significantly gone down too.  I guess I'll have to try a little more self control.  Thanks again
Blank
Hi,

The hances that flonase is causing your weight gain are very less- nasal steroid sprays are not documented to cause the systemic side effects generally.

You should try to find out some other cause including endocrinal with a possible thyroid dysfunction as the cause of your symptoms.

This is especialliy so since you are exercising regularly and following a diet schedule.

Astelin also is not known to cause weight gain.

Have you noticed any other associated features?

Let us know about hwta your doctors advise and post us about any other doubts that you might have.

Regards.
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Allergy Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...