I have been breaking out with hives on my hands and feet for a couple years now. after family doctor visits, a skin doctor visit and finally an algernist. I now know I am alergic (allergic) to many things - the worst being dust mites and certain kinds of molds. I have always had algeries to most the rest of the things that I am alergic (allergic) too. just now in the last two years with the advent in my life of my newest pet dog according to my algernist the dog is the final trigger that got the hives coming on. now I have been on a regimen of what I call the "double Z" that is zantac and zyrtec every 12 hr.s as the acid reducer boosts the effectiveness of the the alergy (allergy) med. ( also benedryl). But in the most recent months instead of the antihystamines helping when I have an episode it just makes it much worse. I am actually better off not taking the antihystamines. I believe my body might be building up a tolerance to the affliction. so my question is: Am I building up a tolerance or is this a more critical sign of somthing more detrimental?
P.S.: lately aloe vera gel has been helping releaving the itch and in many lesser episodes has halted and caused the welts and redness to go away. but it does come back in different areas.
P.S. if ur comment recomends my getting rid of the dog - forget it - its not going to happen - I would rather suffer the hives then take the chance that my sweet loving pitbull ends up with a bad owner. I wont betray her love in me - as she has decided I am her person and follows me everywhere I go. I have had Many pets in my life and could not imagine my life without "our furry lil friends" :). The pitbull Breed is the only type of dog that I am aware of that causes an alergic (allergic) reaction in me.
You can develop tolerance to anti histamines. So, instead of using them continuously, you can take them intermittently or keep changing the antihistamines. You can try immunotherapy for dust mites. For the dog allergy, you can try certain preventive measures to reduce the episodes of allergic rash. Try restricting the dogs access to certain areas of the household and use of air filters and with frequent and proper housecleaning, and furnishings less likely to harbor allergens.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.