horrible smell in nose, horrible taste in back of throat
I had an URI several weeks ago and the last several day I have developed a HORRIBLE smell within my nasal passages and a HORRIBLE taste that is in the area of my throat where the post nasal dip occurs.  I have no congestion, a clear looking nasal discharge and an occasional green mucus like sputum (thick).  This smell is so bad that I feel like others can also smell it if they get close and it is making me sick on my tummy.  Any suggestions?

This discussion is related to very bad smell from nasal passage.
Hi 12cindy,

How are you? Do you have allergies? Do you have fever or sinusitis? Or do you have dental problems? A correct diagnosis for your post nasal drip requires a detailed ear, nose, and throat exam and possible laboratory, endoscopic, and x-ray studies. A visit to your doctor for proper evaluation and management is warranted. The sense of smell may return after treatment of allergic or bacterial rhinitis and sinusitis. An over-the counter antihistamine may provide relief. If allergies cause anosmia, adjustments should be made to avoid allergens. Antibiotics may be prescribed for infections.  
Usually, the sense of smell should return after a condition like a cold or the flu ends.
Without a sense of smell, most people can still taste salt and flavors that are sweet, sour, and bitter. People with anosmia could distinguish other tastes by adding spices such as pepper to food. These spices stimulate facial nerves that also sense flavors.

I hope this helps. Take care and keep us posted.