Allergy Community
is sinus curable?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

is sinus curable?

I am 22, have had a sinus problem all my life. My sinus problem is that one nostril is blocked most of the time, alternating between nostrils, occasionally unblocked and completely blocked. Had septoplasty turbinate reduction, done nothing at all. Doctors never prescribe anything other than nasonex, which was only effective the first time I used it, then its as if the sinus adapted to it. I use sinus rinse, that sometimes provides temporarily relief. It is really unbearable, it is there all the time, constant discomfort, hard to sleep. My only solace is that im used to it. It affects my ability to pronounce certain words properly, impairs concentration, energy, and generally just always pisses me off. My ENT used some sort of electrode proced, promised it would help, down nothing. I get the impression that every doctor i see is absolutely without a clue, i get more from these discussion boards.
I just wan't to know will this EVER go away. If there is someone that has been in this position, and found a miracle cure, please me know. I have seen about 15-20 doctors and they haven;t helped, I am going to try a blood test maybe its food alergies (allergies). please i need help, inspiration, i cant put up with this sinus anymore.
Have you been tested for pollen allergies?  

I would also recommend that maybe you try one of the other nasal steroids.  There are quite a few to chose from - Veramyst, Flonase, Omnaris to name a few.  Different medicines work differently for different people, so one of the other options may work for you.

Also, there are several other classes of nasal sprays you can try - nasal antihistamines (Astrepro and Patanase, anticholinergic (Atrovent - ipratroprium bromate), and mast cell stabilizer (NasalCrom - an OTC).  

Keep us posted.
My friend, i have the same problem as you. But, your lucky because mines causes chronic halitosis.( is the surface of your nose red?) I've had this problem on my first day of my freshman year of high school. Im a senior now and i still have this trouble as of toady. i've been to my first ENT visit and he said that i need to have a ct scan. (have you had a ct/cat scan?)  My cause of this is post nasal drip( thick junk thats always in the throat)15 to 20 doctors? wow.  if you have post nasal drip and you tried sprays, nasal drops, and at least 2 courses of antibiotics, the ENT MIGHT send you to endoscopic sinus surgery. im ganna have that pretty soon. so dont be to down of yourself, you dont have bad breath.

good luck.
Hi, welcome to the forum, sometimes it becomes quiet difficult to control sinusitis and symptoms continue to bother. Yes, such long term symptoms are usually seen when it is associated with allergy. If it is allergy then it cannot be cured but it can be controlled. Allergic rhinosinusitis is predominantly seen in young adults (20-25 yrs of age). This happens as soon one is exposed to allergen. Hay fever is related to environmental exposure to year-round, usually indoor, allergens such as dust mites, animal danders, and molds.

Firstly you should know the causes of recurrences in your case and you are already on standard mode of treatment i.e. available in present day. The common causes are-
-Discontinuation or reduction of medications
-Acute viral upper respiratory tract infections
-Heavy exposure to allergens (change in place may help)
-Exposure to noxious inhalants (change in place may help)
-Worsening of inflammation secondary to bacterial infection or fungal colonization.
It is important to rule out mentioned causes and steps should be taken to avoid further exposure.

You should also be evaluated for presence of concomitant asthma for which medical therapy improves the outcome. I suggest you to consult ENT specialist for reanalysis of your case. Take care and regards.
Go for ENT specialist.. I undegro a nose surgery 2 yrs ago due to allergic rhinosinusitis..
hey liamm, i too hav the same problem yar, what hav you done for that, i dont know what to do, pls help me in this case