Allergy Community
is this caused by allergies

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

is this caused by allergies

i have had a white coated tongue for some time now.  I'm not sure if I have always had it or if I just recently noticed it.  If I scrap it off it looks better however throughout the day it gets really bad.  It has a thick coat and appears to have small red areas not covered spread throughout the tongue. I also have a terrible dry mouth.  Could this be oral thrush or just white tongue caused by allergies.  I did get tested for oral thrush at the doctors and it was negative. Before going in to the office I scrapped my tongue real well so would that have thrown off the test or can the doctor still get a good enough sample?  Thanks for the help

Unfortunately,without clinical examination it is very difficult to make a diagnosis.But your symptoms are suggestive of oral thrush or candidiasis. Oral infections by Candida species usually appear as thick white or cream-coloured deposits on mucosal membranes.

In your case,dry mouth or decreased saliva can be the cause of your white coating by candida.Have you verified what is the cause of your dry mouth?Allergies don’t seem to be related to this white coating.

For confirmation,microscopic examination and culture of the scrapings is usually done.Even a small sample is sufficient to test for candida but false negative results are possible when the scrapings have been scrapped off or some hot liquids taken before the test.

I sincerely advise you to consult a physician and get it rechecked.Moreover other conditions cauising such symptoms like leukoplakia(a white lesion that can't be removed simply by rubbing the mucosal surface—unlike candidiasis) and lichen planus(painful white, erosive sores on the gums, tongue and throughout the mouth.) have to be ruled out.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing.

thanks for the help its appreciated.  I will definietly get rechecked but I hope oral thrush is not the case because I'm sure that means I have something else such as herpes which.  I'll just say a little prayer and hope for the best, but i'll keep you updated.