Allergy Community
itchy skin after exposure to sun

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

itchy skin after exposure to sun

Not sure if it's an alergy (allergy) but didn't know where else to put it.

I never had a problem with the sun. I had always been out in the sun and throughout the years I always had a tan. 2-3 years ago I started to spend most of the summer time inside my home. Last year, when summer came and the sun got hot my arms, ears, neck started to itch after exposure to the sun. I thought it may be a temporary thing but this summer the story repeats itself this year. I went to a dermatologist and he said to use SPF 30 and a moisturizing oil-in-water emulsion with 2% urea or something. When I use the SPF there is no itching but I don't like the idea of using it every time I decide to go out. The itching appears only the summer when the sun is strong and an hour or two after getting indoors. While I'm under the sun there's no itching. Also, I have to be exposed for more than an hour so that an itching appears and the skin doesn't look damaged or something.

Well, that's all. Any ideas what might be the problem?
I am highly sensitive to the sun, but I always have been.  There are some natural sunscreens that can be found at health and vitamin stores.  There is also some natural sunscreen that Dr. Mercola's website offers.  I get itchy, even if I don't burn.  But, since I burn easily, I avoid the sun at its peak hours.  Since I have chemical sensitivities, I don't use the commercial sunscreens at all.  I have to be careful even with natural sunscreens, since I have other allergies as well.  Fragrance-free doesn't really mean that the stuff doesn't have some kind of scent, it just means that it doesn't have any ADDED scent to the stuff.

When I go out and don't have any sunscreen, I carry a big yellow umbrella--during off peak hours, unless I absolutely must travel during its peak hours.  I hold the umbrella where I feel the sun most directly on my skin to reduce the amount of sun exposure.  Back in my great-grandmother's time, it was common for many women to walk around with long sleeves and to carry parasols.  Since no one makes parasols any more, I use the next best thing.  I refuse to wear long, hot sleeves, though.

For the itching and hot spots I'll use refrigerated aloe vera gel to cool the skin.  This works even if I don't have an actual sunburn.  A friend told me about using straight undiluted white vinegar on a recent sunburn that I had.  It is an old folk remedy.  It worked very well.  I stopped getting redder and I didn't get to the point of peeling and it greatly reduced the amount of itching that I was feeling.
I have this too.  Are you by any chance on immuno-suppressants such as azathiaprine?  I am, and I wonder if this is the cause?