Allergy Community
itchy throat??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

itchy throat??

Hi, I recently moved to Florida and appear to be suffering from allergies.  People have told me that the new area may be what's causing the problem.  Last year I got sick twice and both times people were saying allergies could've been the culprit.  This year (in early January) I started with an itchy throat.  Back in December I had a problem with my ears itching (I assumed they were just dry and used Mineral Oil to ease the itching).  So back to the itchy throat -- it's been somewhat persistent but it comes and goes and is never horrible -- every now and then I have a slight cough or have to clear my throat.  Some of my co-workers had similar problems and they suffer from allergies.  To go along with the itchy throat my throat also feels "tight" at times -- and almost like a "lump" in my throat -- although there is no pain and I don't feel it if I eat or drink (that actually helps the "lump" and the itchiness go away).  And again, neither the lump or itchiness are every day occurrences.  Then last night my eyes were itching me really bad.  I've never really dealt with allergies.  In Maryland (where I used to live) I would sometimes deal with sinus pressure around allergy season but not much else.  My father developed allergies when he was around my age so I'm wondering if it's that and a combination of living in Florida now (different allergens).  Any ideas?

You could still be having the sinusistis which could be responsible for post nasal drip causing the throat itching. It would be best to get yourself evaluated by an ENT specialist to rule out sinusitis.

You should try warm saline or betadiene gargles daily and see if it helps with the itching.

Let us know how you are doing and if you have any doubts.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Thanks for the reply.  I actually have an appt but it's not until next week.  I guess my biggest conern is the throat tightness and the lump in throat feeling that comes and goes.  I notice if I'm indoors (like during the weekends) it's not bad usually.  But as soon as I'm outside the throat itchiness comes and then within a couple of days the throat tightness is there.  I know food allergies can do that but can seasonal allergens also cause that type of symptom?

Yes seasonal allergies can also cause these symptoms.

You need to discuss all this in detail with the specialist - let us know how the appointment goes and what your doctor advises.

Regards.
hi i am 30 yrs old male from india.i am having some problem since more than 1.5 years.i do throat clearing all the time .more throat clearing after eating. as if a small mucus is stucked in my throat,which is not comming out.i was admitted for this in hospital.they have lots of tests including ct scan of chest,mri scan of throat,barium meal,endoscopy,24 hr esophagal ph monitoring,usg,blood tests.all are normal.no GERD.what should i do now?
please help me.

one thing i must tell u.this started at sep.2009.at that time,one day i sprayed baygon spray(for killing bugs and moquitoes) in my room ,and then i had to sleep in that room.since then my problem increased.there was some smell of spray.

i am doing this for 1 and half years.now i cant cough and hawk anymore.pls help. ..