Allergy Community
jellyfish sting

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

jellyfish sting

About nine days ago I was stung by a jellyfish. I don't know what kind it was. I was stung in four places and two have them have healed but the other two continue to sting, itch and are red and swollen. I have also been feeling tired and nauses for the past few days. Is it time to go to the doctor?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Where are these located? Just like what you've been experiencing, symptoms  of a jellyfish sting include stinging pain, itching, rash, and raised welts. On the other hand, the progressive effects of a jellyfish sting may include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, lymph node swelling, abdominal pain, numbness/tingling, and muscle spasms. (http://www.emedicinehealth.com/jellyfish_stings/page3_em.htm#Medical%20Care)

If cellulitis is present or the sting involves a large area of the body, the face, or genitals, it is advised that you seek medical help. In your case, the redness and swelling of the skin around the sting are symptoms of cellulitis  and warrants medical consult. The doctor may prescribe: antihistamines or  Benadryl to help with the itching, pain medication for pain, topical steroids with the swelling and itching and antibiotics for the cellulitis. Take care and keep us posted.