Allergy Community
lingering cough after cold
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

lingering cough after cold

Hi,
Im a 23 old male. As my experience says, I am prone to cold. I do get relief from cold within 3-4 days, but production of cough doesnt stop.It usually takes 20-25 days when its production stops. Due to cough formation, I feel very uneasy as I need to throw it out from my throat very frequently. Can you suggent me on this, so that its formation doent last long?
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
563773_tn?1374250139
Hello,

Cough after cold in your case can be due to post nasal drip which is common after rhinitis or sinusitis. Post-nasal drip (PND) occurs when excessive mucus is produced by the sinuses. The excess mucus accumulates in the throat or back of the nose.

The next time you get a cold,take plenty of fluids throughout the day and inhale steam as many times as possible. Inhaling steam from a bowl of hot (but not boiling water) may help to soften, and loosen, the build up of mucus in your nose.
Also use an over-the-counter (OTC) decongestant combined with an anti-inflammatory analgesic (pain reliever) like Ibuprofen. However, you should not use decongestants for more than 5-7 days at a time. You can also OTC antihistaminics like benadryl or zyrtec and saline nasal sprays for some days and see if they provide relief or not. Some chronic cases may need oral steroids or steroid nasal sprays and antibiotics. These can be taken only after prescription.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted if you have any additional queries.Kind regards.

Blank
Thanks for the suggestion. I ll take plenty of fluids nxt time onwards.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Allergy Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...