Allergy Community
liver disease

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

liver disease

My SGOT and SGPT ranges are 1645 and 1410 respectively.serum bilirubin is 8.5. Is it just jaundice or should i go in for some other test.I am concerned about my SGOT and SGPT ranges.Kindly advice me on this. Thank You.
You may want to post this on a different board like the degestive board.  Right now you have it on the allergy and asthma boaard.  

My personal oppinion is that jaundice is a symptom of liver disease.  If your report says that your bilirubin is high, then you probably have jaundice (jaundice is the accumulation of bilirubin under the skin) and some type of liver disease that needs further testing and diagnosis.

My two cents.

Take care and God bless.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Many a times SGOT) and ALT OR SGPT (both are collectively called transaminases) rise without any cause. Because AST is found in many other organs besides the liver, including the kidneys, the muscles, and the heart, having a high level of SGOT does not always (but often does) indicate that there is a liver problem. For example, even vigorous exercise may elevate SGOT levels in the body. However to reach at that conclusion the medical causes of these raised transaminases have to be ruled out. Causes of liver transaminase elevations include viral hepatitis, alcohol use, medication use, steatosis or steatohepatitis, and cirrhosis. Steatosis and cirrhosis are ruled out by the ultrasound. Other common health conditions, such as diabetes, heart disease, pancreatitis, hemolytic anemia and thyroid disease, can also cause liver transaminase elevations. Most liver diseases are characterized by greater SGPT elevations than SGOT elevations except cirrohsis and alcohol abuse. SGPT also rises in bile duct obstruction due to stone.
Discuss the need to rule out these other conditions with your doctor. If you have jaundice, the cause can primarily be liver, though other causes can co-exist.
Since I cannot examine you and know other related conditions you may be having, nor is a detailed history possible on net, I have listed the various possibilities that should be looked into. Please consult your PCP to run tests and examination to clinch a diagnosis.
Take care!