liver problem
dear sir.
i m kamal my sgpt level and sgot level is increased for last one years.i was drink the alchoal 180ml per day for last 5 years and i was suffering the gas, and acidity problem for last one years,my last liver function test is show my sgpt level is 236 and sgpt level is 115,now i have take a medicine for md doctor,my question is sgpt and sgot damages is reversible in liver or no,sir kindly suggest me the right answer i am very confuse for that problem
Hello and hope you are doing well.

AST (SGOT) and ALT (SGPT) are sensitive indicators of liver damage or injury. Normal values for SGOT is 0-35 and SGPT is 4-36. Alanine aminotranferease (ALT) and aspartate aminotransferase (AST) are enzymes located in liver cells that leak out into the general circulation when liver cells are damaged. For the levels to normalize you have to stop consuming alcohol. Also, avoid smoking. Avoid drugs like paracetamol and sedatives. Get vaccinated for hepatitis A and B. Take a good protein diet. And re check your values after 3 months.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
but mam please suggest me is it reversable in the body?
i am very confused for that
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Like I mentioned the enzyme levels are raised due to liver cell injury. If further injury is controlled, the enzyme levels will revert back to normal. So, follow the precautions I have outlined above. Also, have an ultrasonography of liver done to see for fatty liver changes. This can occur due to alcohol consumption. Check to see if you are a diabetic and if the lipid levels are raised, as this can further damage the liver. Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.