Allergy Community
medication allergy - help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

medication allergy - help

hello! i'm new here and i would be very very thankful for your support.

i took lamictal for 6 days for coping with nervous breakdown (prescribed by a psychiatrist) and then i got the red rash all over my body with slight fever. immediately stopped the drug. i went to the allergologist and he said it's medication allergy not severe, but still.

they've put me to 7 day course of corticosteroids IV and two different anti-histamines 2 times a day each. now i'm just finishing the methylprednisolone course but still have some places on my body that reactivate for a few hours and then are gone. from tomorrow i'll be taking only the antihistamine pills.

so, my concern is can the rush reoccur again in a severe stage? or this is a typical way of dying down for such a health issue.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, what you are experiencing is the typical course for weaning off an allergic response. Hives develop in response to an allergic reaction, by the release of histamine. The allergen can be medications, food, extremes of temperature, exercise and viral infections to name a few. Since you developed the outbreak after you started the medication, the most likely cause would be the medication. So, therapy lies in avoiding the allergen and anti-histamines. So, wean yourself of the steroids and if the present antihistamines are not very effective you can consult your doctor for long acting ones. Regards.

thank you for the fast replay.

one last question - is it important to drink lots of water so that i can get out the allergy out of my system?