Allergy Community
mineral oil rash??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

mineral oil rash??

Is it possible to be allergic to the mineral oil they sell as baby oil? I used it to "moisturize" my skin and after two or three times I have a horrible rash on the creases of my arms, knees, wrists and my fingers. This is the only product I've used different in the past couple of days. Could it be??
Tags: rash, Baby, oil

Yes you could be allergic to the oil. You should stop using it immediately.

Take some antihistamine medications or antiallergic medications for a few days and apply calamine lotion over the lesions. This should help to soothe the lesions.

If the symptoms still persist, you will need to consult your doctor or allergy specialist and get a proper clinical evaluation done.

Are you allergic to any other products? Has such a reaction happened ever before?

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.
This happens to me all the time.  I get a terrible rash to any product containing mineral oil.  I couldn't figure it out for the longest time, but that's the only ingredient they all have in common:  MK Satin Hands kit, Eucerin, Cortisone10 plus (the regular doesn't have it), and a variety of non-brand lotions and cleansers.  Now that I've had the rash a few times, I can actually recognize the feeling the moment I put a cream on my skin.  Sometimes I'll actually break out within fifteen minutes.  Just don't let anyone buy you any lotions or creams anymore, and check all the labels at the store!
My son just broke out in a rash from baby oil. This is the only thing I've used differently with him as well in the past week. I stopped using it once I realized what was happening but I wasn't sure what in the baby  oil he was allergic to. This helps a little bit! Just to be safe I'll check labels from now on!