Allergy Community
my SGOT AND SGPT ARE HIGH

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

my SGOT AND SGPT ARE HIGH

DEAR DR.
                     iam having spinal tb and iam gone through a surgery also for decompression .and now my sgot and sgpt levels are high sgot is 181 and sgpt is 160 so pls tell me is there was any problem
Tags: sgot, sgpt
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The SGOT (serum glutamic-oxaloacetic transminase) test, also known as an AST test, measures the amount of a protein enzyme called glutamic-oxaloacetic transaminase occurring in your blood. This enzyme is normally found in the liver, heart muscles, muscles and red blood cells. Normal adult range is 0-42U/L.

Alanine aminotransferase (ALT) is also known as serum glutamic pyruvic transaminase (SGPT). ALT (SGPT) is, by contrast, normally found largely in the liver. This is found in a lesser extent in the heart and other tissues. It is released into the bloodstream as the result of liver injury. Normal adult range is 0-48U/L.

The elevated liver enzymes could be due to infectious mononucleosis (Epstein-Barr, CMV), active hepatitis A, B, C, or D; Wilson's disease, autoimmune I, II, or III, many alpha1-protease inhibitor deficiency or chronic persistent hepatitis. It may also indicate drug-related hepatitis, hypoxemia of the liver, milder degrees of alcohol or possibly cocaine use or an iron-overload condition known as hemochromatosis.

Repeat your Liver Function Tests (LFT). If it is persistent you could consult a gastroenterologist.  

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.