Allergy Community
my lips

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

my lips

Last july I started noticing little bumps on the edges of my lips. They woud always feel chapped and get irritated. I went to the Dr and was sent to a dermatologist. I was told that they were just glands that got irritated and to try some allergy medicine. It has been over 6 months and it comes and goes. The bumbs ae always there but they bother me all the time. Sometimes even burn. I stay away from spacy foods now and am almost afraid to eat. I drink through a straw and only use vaseline sparingly on my lips now. All the Dr's tell me there is nothing wrong, it is common for people with "full" lips. I'm not very comfortable with that because I feel them all the time and it affects my day to day living.  I've noticed them to bother me more during menstration... what can I do besides lay back and take it....

You should use a moisturising lip balm with sunscreen - preferably a medicated one - ask your dermatologist to prescribe you one.

You also need to drink plenty of water - 1.5 to 2 litres per day and eat a balanced diet and supplement any viamins or minerals for the deficiency in your diet. Take vitamin B complex for some days.

Apply a glycerine based lip cream at night.

Keep the area clean - wash your face with a face wash several times a day and also clean your face after each meal with a wet tissue or wash it with water generously.

If the symptoms still persist, you should get a review from your dermatologist.

Let us know if you have any doubts.

Good luck.
I as using medicated lip balm and I think it irritated it more. I am very careful with what I put on my lips no and I do need to drink more water. Thanks. I thin what I really need is to get an allergy skin test, because this is just not working for me. I do follow all the advice given though. again thnks..

Let us know what the allergy specialist advises.

Also, post us in case you have any doubts.

Regards.
I have an appointment on friday. Until then I did go to a nutritionist and was told to take l lysine in the mean time. Going back I have been gettng major dental work done and I just realized I have been going since june of last year. Maybe one has something to do with another with all the latex, novacaine, pulling of my lips or maybe its just a hormone imbalance. As far as I know it is not an STD. Ive had these glands on my lips as far as I can remember, but something is deffinately irritating them and it is driving me crazy. The allergy meds I was taking gave me anxiety bad, so That idea went out the window. And the dermatologist told me to take them. So I hope when I go back the 3rd time will be a charm. I am done going to the dentist and my lip problems are still there but not as bad. Could it have been that? I just got done with my monthly cycle. Is that why? But now i'm taking something else.... I don't know.... time will tell.....

You could be right about the association with the dental sittings and your lip lesions. You could try to still follow the above measures - drink plenty of water and keep them well moisturised.

Ask your dentist, if the next appointment could be scheduled after a couple of weeks , so that would allow your lip lesions to heal.

Do you have any other symptoms? What dental problems are you having?

Keep us posted.

Regards.
no luck. I eventually went to an allergist and had some testing done. As far as I know I am not allergic to anything. It has been a couple of months since my last dental visit and my lips aren't as bad. They still get irritated and the closest thing they can say is that I have contact dermatitis and was given a cream which works for a week or so then It comes back. Changes in wheather seem to affect them as well. I am still applying the cream and its been over a month. Something just isn't right. No other symtoms (symptoms). just the lips. they aren't dry. sometimes they tingle. sometimes they kinda burn around the rims and sometimes they even feel kinda fuzzy like. Its weird. I have even been told that it looks like I have lip liner on. I don't know. As far as my dental problems. I had a root canal. a very deep filling. other fillings and 4 crowns put in. after a few months later I still cant chew on one side and cold still hurts my teeth. Now theres a whole other set of problems that I need to deal with. They kept getting my front crown wrong so I was going to the dentist over and over getting my mouth stretched. now I don't even want to go back to fix my "can't drink cold problem" because I dont want to irritate my mouth again if that is the problem.   argh!! this is so irritating. On the right side. At least I know its not some kind of std or anything like that!

It is indeed most frustrating when medical science fails to establish a diagnosis inspite of doing all possible tests and seeing specialists too.

Just because you mention the tingling and numbness, i think you could give a shot at consulting a neurologist - whether this could be paresthesias or something related and then maybe a cause can be established. I know it sounds like beating around the bush, but i guess it would be worthwhile if we could get some answers.

Keep us posted.

Regards.
I have had the same symptoms’ as you described.
I have small clusters of white/ yellow little bumps on my lower an inner upper lip. They burn and tingle from time to time. I have had the condition for almost two years.
I used to have perfect looking lips until I noticed the condition and have been trying everything to get rid of them!
I have been to multiple doctors and demitaligest and they all tell me that they don’t know what they are or that they can’t help me.
In the morning I have noticed that I do have some white fluid on my inside of my lips, I think it is from the small little bumps described above. The doctors say that it’s normal, I am telling you what I have is Not normal. Most of them don’t even know what it is!
I think I contacted this from Oral sex form a woman that I met. After we were together I notice the condition about 6 weeks later.
Why isn’t anyone looking into what is causing this? I think the public should know so they could force the doctors to acknowledge the problem! I am Not sure what to do next and I am tired of waiting of the condition to go away!

Have you seen a skin specialist for your symptoms as yet? Nothing can be said with surety without examining the lesions.

Has candidiasis been ruled out? What is your age? Are you eating a proper diet including vitamins and minerals?

Have you tried any medications for the lesions?

Let us know the answers to the above, so that we may be able to help you.

Regards.
After all this and no answers, what seems to be working is L Lysine, hydrocortisone1%-iodoquinol1% and aquaphor. dont know which one helps but since I have been using all 3 things are much better. And I cant say they are lesions. I do know that they are irritated glands. I just don't know what irritates them.  If Looking_for_answers has the same condition as me then I know its not an STD coincidence that they were noticed around the same time? maybe?

Have you seen a skin specialist for your symptoms as yet?

How are you doing now?

Do keep us posted.

Regards.
Hello All,
Sorry for the delayed response I have a lot going on lately.
I have Not been to a skin specialist, is that different from a dermatologist?
I have been to three different dermatologist two said they never seen what I have before and could not help me The other dermatologist said I have fordyce spots I could do nothing about it. The problem is nobody knows what causes Fordyce spots, is anyone looking what really causes this or how to get rid of it?
I asked him if it could be HPV and then he wanted to cut a chunk of skin from my lip to test it. I opted not to get the test I didn’t want any skin cut from my lips.
If they could scrape my skin and test that I am fine with that.
As far as having candidasis I think that everyone has that from one deg to another.
I know that you can buy kits at the health food store to help you get rid of candidasis if you have it. I have not purchased it but that is a option I would be willing to try.
To tell you a little about me I am 44 year old male. I try to take care of myself
I purchase vitamins at a local health food store so they are good quality.
I also take a probitic formula tablet once every three days.
The product is from garden of life, I have been taking for over 5 years on and off.
I also take a product called intestine new its’ to help support a healthy intestinal lining I take that one a week.
When I do take that the white/yellow bumps seam to diminish, but not go away.
Also what seems to help is when I take a digestive enzyme with my dinner the condition of the bumps seams to improve.
I drink plenty of water and I always drink purified water and Never tap water.
The only thing that could be a problem is that I like to drink beer, most guys do.
I drink good quality beer from glass bottles only, But I am always mixing it up.
All types from double bocks to barley wines,  that is beer styles if you don’t know.
I also drink unfiltered beer from Belgium. Maybe the yeast strains from the beer are affecting my system? It is something I have thought about.
I have not had physical contact with a woman because I am afraid I will spread something to someone. This in itself is unhealthy and is starting to affect my wellbeing and state of mind.
I appreciate the help and information, all the Best

Fordyce spots are related to inflammation of the sebaceous glnds. You could talk to your skin specialist (which is the same as a dermatologist) for prescribing a steroid cream for local application.

But if the lesions increase/decrease depending on your diet and food habits, it would be  advisable to take a consult from the Gasteroenterologist to rule out any GI cause of your symptoms.

Keep us posted.

Best regards
heres a question. I have been using this cream for a couple months and my symptoms are kind of on and off. I asked my dermatologist what happens if there is no change and she just responded with I dont know. what Is it going to take to get the proper referral? I don;t know who else to see. Ive gotne to dermatologists and allergists and as far as they are concerned its in my head. Besides my "glands" my lips feel overall weird. Not normal. but to the eye they look normal. until i stretch my lips. it almost feels like some sort of a fungal infection so just to put myself at ease I did het an hiv test and hep c. don't know what that as to do with it, but hey, all rule outs gives me a little peace to what it is Not wrong with me. I dont believe it could be HSV since I hace never had a sore, or does that matter?  I havent been intimate just like looking_for_answers for the same reasons.   what shold I do next??? Who do i need to see?
I have had the same type of responses from the doctors I have seen.
They say I don’t know or I can’t help you. You would think that in the age of the computer that the doctors would have a Network!
They could use to talk to other doctors and get some answers to conditions that they have never seen before.
If they keep on giving answers like I don’t know or I can’t help you and send the person away that disease or virus that person has Never gets cured!
Then that person give it to another person and you slowly pass the condition to other people. I agree with you iwanaknow that what we have is some type of fungal infection.
I also have the same symptoms as you do so it’s Not in your head. When I notice this condition over two years ago my lips really burned and tingled.
They were also extremely dry and even if I put ointment on my lips to help the dryness it didn’t help. Another thing I noticed that my lip were extremely dark in color almost looked black.
That condition has gone away a bit and some of the normal color has come back. I still have the white/yellow bumps or pimples on my lower and upper lips on my face.
I don’t want to freak you out but pull your upper lip back with your two index fingers and look at the underside of your top lip. I have clusters of white yellow bumps that are different
That my lower lip. The infection seems to be on the top levels of the skin, not very deep. I have even tried to burn off the bumps with hydrogen peroxide. I rub the area of the bumps with a towel
And have the hydrogen peroxide on the towel. Once the hp gets into the infected area it bubbles up as it cleans out whatever is inside the bumps. Hydrogen peroxide will not bubble on skin Unless
It is put on a infection! That is why I Agree with iwanaknow that it’s some type of virus or infection. I don’t recommend the HP way of removing what we have. The lips seam to swell up really big after I tried this
But the lips did go down to normal size after a few days. Maybe a doctor can send us to someone that can give us some answers or find out what we have?
Anyone???
HI THERE!!  one of my friends is having the same concerns. her lips get really sore and swollen 2-3 times a month, and it lasts about a week every time. they get really chapped and dry. she can peel layers of dry skin off her lips and they get VERY sore!!  she was told by her doctor that it is not allergies, she has taken antihistamines (sp?) and it has helped a little with the swelling. it doesnt happen at a particular time, it is very random. it also gets chapped and sore around the lips as well. it looks so incredibly painful. is there anything she can do? or take?? pls help.
I agree
what is sp?
what is sp?
i forgot to add that her lips burn.
hahaha... sorry to confuse you, i put that because i think i spelt antihistamine wrong.
Hi I aqlso am suffering from the exact same issues. I have been tol dthey ar efordyces granules but have noticed them flare up and sometimes go away, Yet it aleays returns to the same place or "spot" it waS AT BEFORE. strange. I also have dry mouth and sore throat Been tested for everything. Def could be Fungal. Who Knows? lips definitely burn. Also thought maybe HPV but I'm not convinced.
so my friend went to the doctor again, and she is being referred to a dermatologist. she was told by her doctor to NOT put anything on her lips at all before seeing the specialist. before her doc told her that she was using all sorts of lypsol, vaseline, even peroxide! OUCH!! there was one thing he said to use a little of in the meantime.... i'll have to ask her about it and get back to you guys.
Well it is now jan 09 and glad to say, I no longer have these problems. But I am seeing a new dentist for the last 8 months or so. Coinsidence that I haven't written anything regarding my problems since then? I still have the little granule things on my lips but they are no longer sore or burn or anything. I think a lot of it was the cream I was using though. I call it the "Miracle Cream" I even use my old chapstick again. Well Not the old one. That's kind of gross, but same kind. Or burts bees works great.
By the way. I have met someone a few months back and  he never got anything so I can say in my condition it is not spreadable..
Sounds like it may be a case of herpes virus infection with the exception that it's not spreadable...
I had a similar thing for years.  Mine actually started on my hands, specifically my fingers.  It felt like I had fever blisters / cold sores all over my fingers. None of the doctors could figure out what it was, I was told "Poison Oak" and "Herpetic Whitlow".  I was at my wit's end when finally I went to a Health Food store and explained my symptoms, the person there agreed that it did sound like a "Herpes Virus" related problem and told me to take Lysine.  I took the Lysine for about 6 months and it cleared up completely!!

Years later it started on my lips, first it was little fluid-filled bumps (clear fluid) and then progressed to blisters.  It was only on the edge of my lips and flared up occasionally when I had my period or during the spring when my allergies were bad.  

I continue to disagree with my diagnosis of Herpetic Whitlow, because the symptoms and description of that condition are completely polar opposites of what I had.....but the relation to the Herpes virus seemed very similar.

And remember, I know "Herpes" sounds so horrible....but it's a virus that takes many, many forms....not just the sexually-transmitted kind.  Chicken-pox and Shingles are caused by a Herpes virus as well.

I eventually found a doctor who diagnosed me correctly years after the flare-ups stopped, I found a doctor I trusted and liked and described my symptoms.  He showed me photos and described different symptoms that fit PERFECTLY with mine.  It's called Pomphylox.  He was stumped about it showing up in my lips....but the symptoms were the same.  As far as I remember, Pomphylox isn't related to the Herpes virus, but the Lysine (which is used to treat Herpes and cold sores) also helped my problem.

Not to say that this is what some of you might have.....but just so you know you're not crazy!!!  Doctors always thought I was crazy for making a big deal out of what most of them thought was something random like poison oak or contact dermatitis (FYI, I can roll around in poison oak and not have it bother me, so I know that was a bunch of hooey).  They shrugged me off when I told them that my flare-ups occured during stress, illness, periods, etc.

Hope some of this helps.
Oh and for those who talked about the white/yellow clusters of bumps on your lips (and inside your mouth/lips),...I think those might be called Fordyce's Spots (or Fordyce's Condition).  Google it and look at some of the pics, that might be what you're describing.
Im a 17 year old girl who is definetly not sexually active. I have very swolllen and chapped lips.It been like that for about 2 months. my lips peel so much! they are weird dry like around my mouth like right on the line. they are also bumpy but not liquid filled. they burn easily. They have recently (in the past week) at first i thought i was allergic to mint based chapstick like burts bees cause they burned really bad anytime i tried to use it. I am addicted to chapstick because my lips get so chapped. I went to the doctors for a physical and asked about my lips and she just told me to use vaseline. I also thought it was from being burnt because i swim ALOT and i recently went to Guam but it started before that. They have gotten worse because the bumps showed up and the discoloration. this morning my lips were scabbed in spots but no blisters or anything. also had a sore throut this morning and getting sick. my lips cause me daily annoyance cause i never stop thinking about them cause they bother me so much! Help!!!!
I had this problem (itchy bumpy peeling lips and eyelids) for almost two years until I was finally diagnosed as allergic to PETROLEUM products.  I stopped using any lotions/makeups/toothpaste anything that touches the skin of my face which has petroleum, and switched to all organic facial products, and this has finally solved the problem.  Also, I don't wear any polyester clothing, because it also makes me itchy although not enough to cause a rash.  Maybe this will help you!
Try using 1 tablet cetrizine twice daily, whenever you feel your lips getting these bumps.
I just wrote in today about the same thing. I am a 48 year old female and have the same problem. It happens randomly. It feels like a severe case of chapped lips. There are little bumps around the lips and they itch, burn and hurt. I have redness all around my lips also. It looks hidous.  I had this happen to me almost two years ago and then it cleared up on its own. Now it is back again. It's nice to know I'm not the only one. Good luck.
I have had this in the past, but seldom do anymore.  I have been told it is angular chelitis or perioral dermatitis or lipstick dermatitis or a new form of cold sores.  My dermatologist told me to never pluck or shave hairs around the corners of my mouth where the oil membranes are more tender.  I take lowest dose vitamin B2 for about three days and then a complete B vitamin for a week and it usually goes away.  I do have to eat right however.  A lot of people have this nowdays.
I had pre-cancer on my lower lip and had the freezing and then the laser treatments, but it has returned. They have me on a cream one week on/off. I think that this cream has caused my upper lip to have these fordyce spots. I think that the dermatologist who recommended nothing on the lips is probably right. I think that my upper lip is having a reaction to the lower lip. I have an appointment in October with my derm to see exactly what is going on.They also have me on SPF all the time. I am thinking that between the two my poor lips (not dry) are too moist all the time!! :(. I would highly recommend a derm........just in case it is pre-cancer!! Check out pictures on the web to see what may be closer to what you have.
Hey you all... I too still have some of the same problems like the peeling lips, swollen lips for about 2 yrs. After doing some strenuous research on the Internet, it seems to me that everyone is experiencing lip eczema. So here's what I found. "Eczema is a Greek word and means " to boil over". It is where skin is inflamed, red, and sore. The skin cracks easily. The use of most commercial lip salves made with Petroleum, liquid Paraffin etc will go a long way to making the lips drier.

Most of the foods we eat, the chemicals and even too much sunlight can have an impact on our body especially if we are not hydrated enough. Basically, what I'm saying is all these things weaken our immune system and that is what causes our lips to be like this.
The skin is the first place to show when we have a toxic overload and it can only do good to make sure the bowels are clean and working efficiently to help clear the Eczema up ASAP. If you still don't understand keep on reading!

Your body is equipped to handle some amount of detoxification on its own but problems occur when there is an overload of toxins due to increased acidity. Your organs like your liver, kidney and colon start to slow down. This is when toxins start to show up on your skin, manifesting into a condition called Eczema.

So, in order for your skin (outward appearance) to heal, you must give your body a chance to remove the excess waste and to repair itself. For an eczema condition, you would need to detoxify your body, correct vitamin and mineral deficiencies and restore healthy digestion.

Thank you for reading this, I hope that I can help myself and as many people suffering from this annoying condition.

The site below is a great site for lip eczema..Check it out
http://www.myorganicskincareproducts.co.uk/eczema-on-your-lips
I was having the same problems you all described. It started out a few years ago where every now and then I would get little tiny bumps on my lips and it would go away. The last year I had 2 very bad episodes where I got the tiny bumps, then they would go away and my lips would become very red and swollen, sometimes I would have red dots, and then every night and morning they would just peel and peel. It was painful and VERY embarrassing. I saw many doctors and they just kept saying it was a contact allergy to a lip product or food or toothpaste, etc. I tried to figure it out and logged everything but nothing ever made sense. I just had a bad episode last week and went to a new dermatologist. He did a biopsy of my lip and the results came back as GLANDULAR CHELITIS. This is a rare disorder (not as rare as docs think when I see how many people are having problems with the same symptoms) Anyway, I have used nothing on my lips except vaseline twice a day for 10 days now and so far I have been good. I am going back to see my doc in 2 weeks to try and come up with a treatment plan as there are no specific treatments. He even send my results to the mayo clinic. This is a very scary and frustrating thing. I am hoping to be able to learn how to keep it under control. My best advice to you all is to see a doc and have a biopsy (I know that sounds awful but it took a second, I had a stitch for a week, and now you cant even tell where it was done). YOU WANT TO RULE OUT CANCER and keep this under watch as constant irritation to the lips can lead to bigger problems. I feel like I am now at least on the road to getting some help...here is my email if any of you need someone to talk to. I know that no one I know understand what I am going through...***@****
****Another tip...TAKE PICTURES...my lips always seemed to be doing different things so I had been taking photos to show the doc!
Did you ever get any treatment?  Did your symptoms come and go?
Hi there, I was experiencing most of these symptoms. I did not have any spots on the inside of my mouth but i did get blisters after eating spicy foods especially peppery ones. In addition to the blisters, it itched (quite a lot), got swollen and dried over (painful).

I went to a doctor today and he put me on Ad-muc: once in the morning and by night. In addition, he recommended taking Trihemic for 30 days. For allergy, I was put on 1/2 claritine for two weeks. That was basically his treatment - the ad much really helps and i usually use vaseline for the dryness but I'm trying to lessen to amount of that I put on my lips.

I'll try to keep you all posted on how things go.
I have had some of the same problems. I thought i had extremely chapped lips until they got so bad that the chapstick only made them worse. Eventually I got a secondary bacteria infection twice before I realized I could only put vasoline on my lips. Although my lips got better from using the vasoline, the rash didn't stop coming back. The dermatologist diagnosed me with some kind of allergy but tests for everything came back negative. Eventually I was able to narrow it down to toothpaste on my own. I got extremely quick positive results from switching to baking soda. Unfortunately, I think i might also be allegic to listerine as well. My current theory is that i'm allergic to the artificial flavoring in chapstick, toothpaste, and listerine. I'm also taking zyrtec twice a day, and when I stop taking it things seem to also get worse. After two days of avoiding all three of those things and taking the zyrtec regularly everything seems to be cleared up completely tonight. If it can stay that way for a couple days then I'll know I've found a solution. Wish me luck in the morning!
I am also having problems with the same things.  It started out with chapped lips, then occasionally swelling, and now it looks like water blisters forming around the lining of my lips that itch and somewhat burn.  I asked my doctor 2 days ago about this in which he suggested a dermatologist.  I have used all kinds of chapsticks and NOTHING has worked up to this point.  It's only been going on for about a month now but is so frustrating!  I  am ready for this to be over already!  Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

Aggravated to no end!!!
I am a male 30 and I've had this issue for 15+ years with the peeling, itchy and mainly burning and peeling lips.  I used constantly peel them with water also and it was annoying and not comfortable.  Nobody else would really notice this as it wasn't that easy to see.

I have finally found the combination of things that really makes this much much better about 5 years ago. It only occassionally flares up for a day or two and still is much more manageable.

I am pretty sure this irritation is related to year-round and seasonal allergies both and that is your issue, but you cannot avoid it and medicines with antihistimine help but only a little.  Colds will also make it worse or any time you are dehydrated.

This is a combination of secrets and is really easy. If it works for you too, you will feel just fine most of the time.  Take a simple over the counter (even generic cheaper) antihistimine to help also (I take Walitin -Walgreens). First, morning and night and in between if you have the chance, you take a wash cloth and wet it and scrub gently over your lips and it will feel much better and remove any excess skin that you would want to peel before you did my method. NEVER peel them again as this excites the whole condition.  And DO NO Overlick them either.  Keep well hydrated and drink lots of water.  Keep lip balm on your lips but only the ones that don't make it work. This is key for me as I played with too many.  The only one that really works correctly is Mary Kay Satin Lips Balm.  I thought it weird to use a MaryKay product before but it is just lip balm.  Find someone who sells it and at the pace I use it it is very affordable like $30/year.  I use this 2-3 times a day (especially in morning and night).  I would only use this but that would get more costly...do it if you can.  In between, I use Vasoline petroleum jelly that is in the tube with a colored cap (Grocery store or Target) as it is so cheap and I can do all during the day.  Repeat this very easy process and you will have so much less trouble and this is easy and cheap.

I can feel tree pollen allergies acting up today with some nasal drip and my lips are burning a little (probably only like 1-3 days a month now that are very noticeable), but I'm not worried at all as I'm doing the normal and it will be gone soon.  

Try changing habbits and following this and you'll feel better.  Hope this helps anyone.
I have the exact same symtoms (symptoms) as you guys described. It started when i kissed someone. i went to see my doctor. Blood test and culture test came up negative.  I am genital herpes positive and i know how herpes is. But this thing it has no explanation. I have my lip line swollen (upper one) most of the time i feel like i have a spider thred on my lip. (if this would be herpes it would go away when i take famcyclovir) it did't.  My doctor said it could be nerve damage. But she doesn't really have an anwers for that. I am bored of this situation. I haven't kiss no one since then, is this contageous?
I'm 15 and I have full lips and I thought that there was something wrong and went on google  and Bing and it said that I have a cold sore I was so scared and I know cold sore are simplex 1 herpes that scared me because I'm not sexualy active in any type thank you so much because now  I know its not that