Allergy Community
nasal polyps

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

nasal polyps

Im worried about getting nasal polyps back.  I had surgery last December, and now suffering once again with congestion and pain.  ENT says polyp tissue has returned and now on Leviquin, did the Prednisone 6day pack.  Has anyone had to go thru the surgery more than once?
-4 Comments Post a Comment
Polyps will keep growing.You can do this breathing exercise to control the growth of polyps.Allow 3 months to notice the benefits.
- Deep Breath-in through left nostril keeping right nostril closed
then  - Breath-out through right nostril keeping left nostril closed
then   -Deep Breath-in through right nostril keeping left nostril closed
then   - Breath-out through left nostril keeping right nostril closed
and repeat this cycle for upto 15 minutes. Maximum 3 times day.
Keep doing this once a day after you are symptom-free.

'If you have one or more small polyps, your doctor is likely to prescribe a corticosteroid nasal spray such as fluticasone (Flonase), triamcinolone (Nasacort), budesonide (Rhinocort), flunisolide (Nasarel) or mometasone (Nasonex). These medications relieve inflammation, increase nasal airflow and may help shrink polyps.'

'Treatment for nasal polyps may also involve surgery. When medications aren't effective, your doctor may recommend removing your polyps. This is often the only option for people with cystic fibrosis who usually don't respond to steroids. The type of operation depends on the size, number and location of the polyps. Options for nasal polyps surgery include: polypectomy and endoscopic nasal sinus surgery'.

You could read more about this at the follwing links -

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/nasal-polyps/DS00498

and

http://www.emedicine.com/PED/topic1550.htm

let us know if you need any further information.

Regards.
I am also facing same problem. In 1988 I had got the Polyps operated. Relaxed for some years but again I often feel difficulty in breathing through left nostril and feel this side narrow. After the operation i have been complete course of tables Betnelan (Betamethoasone) twice, with break of 4-5 years. Can I take it again. What are the side effects. Afzaal.
About 6-7 years back, I went to see an ENT and discovered I had nasal polyps.

I had endoscopic surgery to remove the polyps. However within a few months afterwards, my sinuses clogged and again, my polyps have grown back despite my efforts to flush my sinus cavity with a saline/baking soda solution as instructed by my ENT. Using the flush was difficult because it would burn the back of my throat and if my sinuses were clogged, it felt like I was drowning myself.

The other aspect to polyps are the allergies that led to them. Therefore efforts to reduce allergens may help some. Being allergic to dust mites, it seems like a never-ending battle that I lose more often than not. I have tried all sorts of air-purifiers and even changed my flooring to hard wood flors, etc. Washing bedding more often than others, vacuuming and cleaning constantly. It doesn't seem to matter, the polyps come back.

Topical sterioid sprays have not made much impact and seem to only support the pharmacutical industry. I'm sorry, but I am not wealthy; buying expensive sprays on a bi-weekly basis or so is not economically feasible for my income.

Polyps and allergies affect my life in many ways:
1) My nose runs and feels congested 24/7
2) My voice sounds different. It's even hard to speak clearly sometimes.
3) I cannot smell anything and haven't for about 9 years now.
4) My sleep is affected, I cannot breathe easily while sleeping and suspect sleep apnea
5) I snore louder than ever and it disrupts my wife's sleeping.

I find it extremely frustrating to be afflicted with this, and not have a real solution available to resolve the problem. Instead it seems the only answer is to spend a lot on nasal sprays in hopes to get some minor relief or have surgery every so often.

I fail to see those as real solutions.
There has to be a better way.....
I have had 3 surgeries for polyps. Polyps keep coming back. Prednisone works in the short term. Nasal sprays (now on Omnaris) don't shrink polyps they just slow down their growth. I'm am getting allergy shots - they make a bit of difference. HAs anoyone had any luck with changing diet etc - I've been tested for food allergies and I don't have any - my allergies are all dust/mold etc.