Allergy Community
odd fruit allergy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

odd fruit allergy?

I have no idea what is going on, but i'll try and explain it the best I can.

For demographics I'm a 24 year old male, non smoker, not overweight but not in the best of shape either. 6'4", 225 lbs.

Whenever I go and try to eat a fruit (any kind) I get horrid heartburn, my gums and the back of my throat start to itch, and then my throat starts to swell shut. Remaining calm and taking Benadryl with an antacid seems to help clear it up (after about an hour). The weird thing is, I have eaten fruit all my life and this has only just recently started (7-10 weeks ago). The even weirder thing is, fruit juice does not bother me at all, but I can't even take a single bite of a bananna or a pear (among other things) without the said symptoms. What is going on?

You are most likely having the Oral Allergy Syndrome. It is characterized by itch, tingling, swelling, rash, or blisters of lips, palate, and tongue occur within minutes after eating some fruit or vegetable.

This reaction is associated with sensitization to silver-birch pollen, a common cause of hay fever in April and May. It can occur at any time of the year but is often worse in the pollen season.

You should consult your doctor for a proper evaluation. The diagnosis can be confirmed with a skin ***** test. You should avoid raw fruits. Cooking or processing fruits destroys the allergens and should cause no reaction. It should also be helpful to take some vitamin C supplements.

Ref: http://www.news-medical.net/?id=2801
http://www.chw.edu.au/parents/factsheets/fruit_and_vegetable_allergy.htm

Take care