Allergy Community
odd shaped welts on back and neck

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

odd shaped welts on back and neck

For the past 6 weeks or so I have been battling some type of strange hives.  They are shaped very odd...start somewhat small then grow long and somewhat round, or crescent shaped or oval.  The are very weird.  Been to the alergist who has no clue as to what the cause might be.  This morning I woke up and the palms of both of my hands were swollen and painful and they stayed that way all day.  It's frustrating to say the least and I just would like to know if anyone else has experienced anything similar...and if they ever found a cause.  I had my bloodwork done yesterday but it will be two weeks before I get an answer on that.  I have the welts most every day and have been taking benedryl, which doesn't do a whole lot.  I just want to find out what the reason is so I can stop doing it and the welts will disappear.  Thank you :)

This discussion is related to Welts My Doctor's Can't Explain.
Thanks for writing to the forum!

This looks like urticaria or hives. The swellings or wheals produced after itching can be pale (of skin color) or red and their shapes can vary. Urticaria is usually triggered by allergens, such as drugs, foods, insect bites, inhaled substances, in response to sunlight, cold, heat, stress, exercise, or a viral infection. Other common allergens are pollen, mold, dust, pet dander, or cosmetics. Just go over these possibilities in your mind. Something may strike you. In many cases, hives clear up themselves and don’t require diagnosis or treatment. However if they persists you may need to see a specialist called an allergist to determine what is causing the reaction. You will then need to get an allergy test done, either a skin test or by RAST, to know what you are allergic to.
Hope this helps. Take care!