Allergy Community
persistent cough and sinus drainage with slight throat irritation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

For over 2 weeks, I have been experiencing a persistent cough that is accompanied with sinus drainage, phlegm, an occasional scrathy throat, and heaviness in my chest. What are these symptons of? I am female, 55, non-smoker, and in good health otherwise.
  • COUGH (1 replies):
    IS A NIGHT COUGH RELATED TO ALLERGY ? This discussion ...[more]
  • allergic cough (3 replies):
    my daughter is 6 yr old.she has a very bad cough at time...[more]
  • Pls tell me. (2 replies):
    is it type of alergy that i have cough when i...[more]
  • Hey (1 replies):
    I am a sinus patient but i have a cough when i ...[more]
  • need advice please (2 replies):
    I have been on 2 rounds of antibiotics for a "sinus infe...[more]
Avatar n tn
Sounds like a virus.  Check with your doctor for a proper diagnoses.

Has a chest xray and CT scan of your sinuses been done? Do you have any fever or sputum production?

Has a lung function test been done?

Have you had allergic reactions in the past? Are you allergic to any specific substances?

Do you have any other symptoms like breathlessness, reflux symptoms or heartburn or nasal symptoms like nasal discharge etc.

Chronic cough is usually seen in cases of asthma, GERD or gastro esophageal reflux disease and sinusitis due to the post nasal drip.

You should try steam inhalation, warm saline gargles, saline nasal drops and oral antihistamine medications and see if it helps with your symptoms.

If the cough still persists, it would be best to consult your doctor and also get a chest xray done to rule out a chest infection.

Let us know about how you are doing and if you need any other information.

Regards.

Has a lung function test been done?

Regards.
My husband is 67 and has persistent cough a lot of drainge and a irritable throat. There arelots of time he can,t talk cause he knows e will start coughing. He has had ct of sinus, (negative). He went to a ENT he dx him with gerds. Takes omepozole40mg once a day. His dr. changed his b/p pils. Now he is taking allergy shots. He is on the max dose. He even had laser tx for allergies. Nothing has helped.