Allergy Community
pins and needles developing into prickling and stinging

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

I am a 52 year old male with good general health and appropriate weight-height ratio. However, a worrying new condition has developed since last 6 months. Any physical activity that warms up muscles, be it walking, climbing, lifting or even sneezing and laughing triggers pins and needles all over my body. Slightest hint of anxiety, stale air, warm air, the Sun, hot bath, humidity.. you name it. Pins and needles turn into massive sensations of crawling and prickling and unless I stop and cool myself the skin flares up in tiny red spots with unbearable nettle burning sensation. My GP (family doctor) is trying antihistamines and I am also trying acupuncture with no avail so far. My quality of life has suffered and I am practically home bound. I wonder if these are symptoms of allergy or something more serious and sinister that needs immediate treatment?
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Many a times an allergy starts in reaction to heat or cold. What you have is probably cholinergic urticaria. Exercise, hot baths, tight clothes, spicy food, emotional stress and fever can all cause this. Once this is identified, avoiding the reason can take care of the problem. Sometimes rapid cooling of the body can prevent an attack. Antihistamines also help.
Pins and needles is seen in diabetes, hypothyroidism, chronic involvement of liver or kidney, chronic alcohol use etc. Vitamin B12 deficiency too should be looked into.
Please discuss this with your doctor. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!