prednisone burst for Asthma ...
I have had late onset asthma that was dx'd 3 yr ago, however, at the time I also had a sinus infection and I did not understand asthma at all .  It basically went untreated until recently when it totally became out of control.  I have for 3yr had tons of excessive mucus but was unaware of where it actually wass coming from.  I thought sinus , biut it seems much of the problem is asthma related since a breathing test recently showed my lungs were not working at full capacity.  I was refered by my primary to a pulmonologist and was put on a pred burst of 60mgx3 down to 1mgxd in a 15 day period. I also had an increse in advair to 500/50 and addition of Spiriva.  Also flonase.  As the pred taper was reduced the symptoms and mucus came back full force !  Is that common?  Should I call my Dr. ? Do I need a repeat of a pred burst?  I'm just miserable from all this mucus nothing seems to slow it down.  I can't isolate what my triggers are which is hard for me to do or go places.  Any suggestions or thoughts on this I'm exhausted from coughing up volumes of sticky phlemg and I sound like a smoker and drinker with this husky sctchy voice I have now. HELP.
Could it be an environmental allergy, such as to mold or other triggers? Have they considered a chronic infection, of either your sinuses, or chronic bronchitis?

Spiriva is usually not given for asthma, but COPD.
I think you should contact your Dr. right away, and tell him all this. How many days after you stopped the prednisone did the problems get worse again? Ask your Dr. if the diagnosis is still asthma, or if there is anything else showing in your pulmonary function tests. Did they do the one where they give you a nebulizer treatment with Albuterol, and then re-do some of the tests to see how much it helped?
HI, Thanks for the comments. Yes , I did call My Dr. and went in to see him.  I do have Asthma for sure they repeated the breathing test on me and then with the nebulizer with some med in it. Some of my problem seems to be coming from my sinuses. Nothing seems to help to dry them up .  The excessive mucus from my sinuses are agrevating my asthma from what the Dr. said.The ENT that I have seen said I am of the 1% that they can't help with getting rid of the mucus.  Has anyone any suggestions on that issue?  I use flonase and its useless.  Iv'e been on every nasal spray out there by prescription with no help.  I use nasal irrigation several times a day to keep the mucus from getting into my lungs. This is miserable Out of the blue tons of mucus will fill my throat and i won't know where it's coming from  there is so much.
db9
I have the same problem with asthma and mucas, prednisone advair..
Just wondering if anything has helped you
I had lived through what you describe for to many years, I can relate. It's crazy isn't it? Have you been checked for nasal polyps? I would also suspect you intire immune system is substancially been comprimised somehow.
Be careful what you eat too.
Advair has really helped me, made a huge differance. I did have nasal surgery twice and thankfully the polyps have never returned again, which I believe is because my body actually changed and developed enough immunity to control the underlying causes, I don't know how this happened, but just glad it did! Not everything with your problem can be fully explained scientifically, at least that was my case. Not to sound corny,but I am convinced is a whole body/mind thing as well.