Allergy Community
prednisone side effect, speciffaly moon face
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

prednisone side effect, speciffaly moon face

I am 15 and have just been recently diagnosed with Auto immune hepitus. I was hospitilized for 27 days and have been having horriable reactions to all the medicanes i am on. I am taking 40mg of prednisone a day and I have noticed a change in my face. It looks like i have really bad achne (acne) on my face, neck and back. Also I am noticeing "moon face" I would really like to know when this is all going to start going away because it does make me very self concious to go out and see my friends. I am not use to looking like this at all, I never wear makeup or anything and now I have to. This is not something I am use too, if anyone knows how low the prednisone has to be to start noticeing a change I would higly appericate it.
Related Discussions
1355118_tn?1298568479
Hi, the major side effects seen with corticosteroids is redistribution of fat.  Cushingoid features (truncal obesity, buffalo hump, moon face, and weight gain) is quite troubling to patients. This occurs almost exclusively at doses above the physiologic range (greater than 7.5 mg/day of prednisone or equivalent). The Cushingoid appearance may occur rapidly.

- Moon face- due to accumulation of fat in cheeks.
- Buffalo hump - accumulation in back side of neck region.
- Retroorbital fat deposition can even cause potrusion of eye ball.

This is a major concern with long term therapy. With vigorous exercise and activity, there will be no weight gain but still there will be abnormal fat distribution. The peripheral fat decreases and central fat increases. The abnormal fat distribution will take a long time to wear off completely esp. the thigh and abdominal fat. I suggest you to consult your physician for more information. Take care and regards.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Allergy Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...