Allergy Community
raise of ige levels

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

raise of ige levels

my son 3 yrs and 4 months has serum ige levels 1043 I.U/ml what is the diagnosis and what may be the cause for raise of ige levels and what is the treatment.
Hi, welcome to the forum, the normal IgE levels fall below 100. Any level above 500 is higher and is suggestive of allergy or parasitic infection. He is known to have abnormally high levels. It can be seen in patients with atopic or allergic dermatitis.  It is usually seen secondary to exposure to allergen and subsequent reaction is mediated by IgE antibodies. His body is known to hypersensitive to certain things.  

Stinging insects, Aeroallergens (uncommon), Foods and additives like Milk, egg, peanuts, nuts, soy, and wheat are the most common agents to cause such allergic manifestations.

Measures for him to reduce IgE levels are-

- The triggering factor should be identified and should be avoided. Even a skin allergy test can be useful.
- Prompt treatment with anti histamines and glucorticoids during allergic attack.
- New intervention has come up which you can discuss with your doctor, i.e. Anti- IgE (omalizumab), but not required at this stage.

I suggest you to consult to a skin specialist/ immunologist for further steps of management. Take care and regards.
This should be discussed with the doctor that ordered the test.  Why was the test ordered?  

Pollen and mold allergies can also cause a rise IgE.  I would recommend finding a good allergist and have him tested for allergies and consider shots.  

If you live in the US, omalizumab (Xolair) is only aproved to treat severe asthma and those over 12.  Exceptions have been rare, but your doctor would really have to go to work with your insurance company to get one.

Praying that you find answers soon.