Allergy Community
rash from insulation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

rash from insulation

my son is an apprentice and when he works in ceilings with insulation he develops a rash what should we treat this with
insulation contains very tiny partlicles of glass. A good shower with a loofa spongge should remove them, then a good alo vera lotion should help. Always wash his work clothes seperatly from other clothing and double rinse.  It will always be a problem when he's working in attics, as it isn't a true allergy, he's getting the glass in his arms. Long sleeve shirts help, and he should always wear a face mask so he doesn't inhale these particles.  One Who Knows! Been there, itched that!

He could take oral antihistamine medications like cetrizine or loratadine and see if it helps with your symptoms.

He should apply calamine lotion at the sites of rash.

It would be best to avoid exposure to substances which cause or aggaravate the rash.

If his symptoms still persist, he should consult a doctor because then he would need to get certain investigations done to find out the exact cause.

Let us know about any other doubts that you have and post us on how he is doing.

Regards.
Okay, allow me to start by saying DO NOT listen to the doctors previous post who obviously doesn't know what he or she is talking about. I am too an insulation installer and have had the same problems that your son has had. And while I'm sure the doctor has great intentions the fact is your son can not avoid what he works with. Also it is NOT  an alergy (allergy) and so drugging yourself as doctors will often haveyou do is NOT the answer. It is as LLWB stated fiberGLASS insulation, called so for the tiny fibers or glass of which it is made from. There is no sure fire garunteed way to protect your body from contact as an installer, but there are things you can do to prevent over exposure. For instance long sleeves (even on hot days), masks to protect the lungs, gloves, and safety glasses. Although as an instaler you WILL be exposed here's a pointer "Hot Showers"!!! The Insulation gets mostly into your pores of the skin and can be easily cleaned out by opening the pores wide with a hot shower and  then cleaning the body as you would regularly. Also the worst thing you can do is scratch. Avoid scratching any itchy areas for this will only dig the fibers deeper and irritate the area even more. While I know this is not an easy request, Will power goes a long way in this. After a few moments the itching should mostly subside. Also one should always wash with a loofa as previously stated by LLWB because it has a porace structure allowing the particles to be grbbed and pulled away from the skin with much better results than say, a wash cloth. Hope this helps and good luck to your son and you Best Wishes          R. Cullen
Recently started working with rocxul insulation face has a rashy red look to it with a few small bumps what can I do to help clear my face up and to prevent further damage ???
Also my cheeks feel really hot even after a cold shower, it almost looks like a minor sunburn plz help with suggestions