Allergy Community
reaction to Omega supplements and acids

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

reaction to Omega supplements and acids

I am a middle age female with a reaction to Omega supplements which I hope to find a way to avoid since I know that Omega would help me in many ways if I could take it. These supplements, along with acidic foods like citrus and many other fruits, ascorbic acid additives, Vitamin C supplements and vinegars cause rectal swelling, pain, bleeding and if I don't avoid the cause soon enough, proctitis symptoms.   I have many airborne allergies as well as food allergies and all my life have dealt with severe atopic dermatitis, severe allergic rhinitis, mild asthma, gastrointestinal problems and other problems I can directly relate to food reactions such as headaches, brain fogs, and may possibly even explain mild seizures that could not be explained by the doctors.  I know that I have severe gastro problems from milk (with or without lactose) and that white onions zone me out.  Corn can also zone me out (sleepy brain fogs) if more than a small amount and I have other milder food allergy reactions. I have a few other health conditions but don't feel they are relevent here.  Any suggestions on a possible Omega supplement that may be "hypoallergenic".  I have tried the Fish, Salmon, and Flax and all do the same.
I am going to try to continue the Omega supplement with just one every other day, or if necessary one every third day.  (The same way I handle fruits with any acidity - spread them out quite a bit)  If anyone else has colon reactions to acids, please let me hear from you. Soft drinks are also out of the question.   Even the gastroenterologists are not familiar with such a reaction, or they do not "recognize" this trigger.
:(  I took Flax and had an allergic reaction to it. Lasted for 3 days as my body stop pooping once a reaction starts. I take now to flush things out to remove it.

How about this.
Apples and oranges set my intestines off badly. I am fine with grapefruits yet I am allergic to grapefruits and not oranges. Wonder if they got mixed up on the test? I have many food allergies too.

On top of Flax, you can add peanut, veggi, soy, canola, olive type oils that I can't tolerate in tiny amounts.

I'm just learning about my food problems, but no you are not alone. I don't know exactly what is going on with my intestines yet and my doctors don't either. But we do know that when I eat stuff like oil my digestion slows and I get constipated. Yet I can eat rice and I go fine. I suspect the constipation is from swelling, best that we figured out so far and they think it is all allergy. Not eating allergy foods has helped a lot too. But I am not allergic to apples and oranges and whoa do they hurt my intestine. No clue!!!! I stopped trying to eat healthy and just eat what I can and feel a bit better.
I take now to flush things out to remove it.
should have been
I take "milk of magnesia"now to flush things out to remove it.
Thanks for the sharing your experience with me.  I am only now learning, as you point out, that eating things you are allergic to can constipate you, even if they are normally de-constipating foods.  My allergist told me that the food testing is not very reliable so it is best to avoid what bothers you the most.  In my case, and it sounds like yours too, I can not avoid everything that "leaves a mark" but I can limit foods or spread them out.  You may find that cooked apples don't bother you.  When most fruits and vegetables are raw, they retain more vitamins AND more of the allergen properties.  The battle to eat healthy and yet avoid allergens can be very difficult....so I have to compromise.  I will give Milk of Magnesia a try, Thanks!