reaction to bactrim (sulfa drug)
My 9 year old son recently had a staph infection which was treated with Bactrim. After being on the medicine for 6 days, he developed a severe, itchy rash from head to toe. Simple, right? allergic to sulfa...but what about this painful swollen gland in his neck? Doc couldn't explain it, but switched to 500 mg Keflex. Anybody seen what the rash looks like w/this type of reaction?
Hi Barbie.

You are right about the sulpha reaction. Keflex I presume was given for the Staph infection in place of Bactrim. The painful glands in the neck are enlarged lymph nodes (lymphadenitis) which should resolve on resolution of the staph infection. Rashes due to sulpha reaction resolve in 4 to 5 days after the drug has been stopped. But it should be differentiated from rashes due to staph. I suggest you to get the rashes investigated rather than concentrate n the lymphadenitis.

Regards,
Khirodh