Allergy Community
selsun blue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

selsun blue

Hi;
   I have been also dealing with hives for 10 plus years without any answers.I get hives days before my period and last 5 days after my period.when i itch this makes them worse and usally end up with swollen hands,feet,knees.I went back to doc and asked about hormones and he said it wasnt that. Yesterday went to doctors and he saw them and told me it was a fungal and to try selsun blue, I am not to sure this is going to work but would try just about anything at this point.I also get very irrated and tired dealing with this.
I dont know why doctors dont take this seriously. I have noticed it gets worse with heat from baths,sun.
Hi, your history is suggestive of physical urticaria. This can be induced by environmental stimuli, such as heat, cold, pressure applied to the skin, exercise, water, vibration, and sunlight. Hence it is very important to rule out any of these exposures recently before the appearance of the whelps. The triggering factor should be identified and further exposure should be avoided.

Selsun blue contains selenium sulfide which is anti dandruff shampoo useful in case of seborrhic scalp. If it is due to allergy then this won't help you at all.

This condition can be diagnosed with proper history and allergen challenge test by skin specialist or immunologist. Initial treatment includes start of second generation anti histamines, as it is not improving, in such cases doubling of the standard dose helps against prescription. Even H2 antihistamines can be considered. Adding steroids can be quite helpful to alleviate the inflammation and reduce itching. Desensitization methods can be employed if particular agent is identified.

I suggest you to consult skin specialist/immunologist for detailed evaluation. Take care and regards.