Allergy Community
sensitive to cold air conditioner

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

sensitive to cold air conditioner

I am acutely sensitive to cold air conditioner. The effects are immediate and the colder the air the worse things are. This is followed by a thumping headache and painful soreness in the eyes and nostrils. Further exposure can result in heavy nasal congestion and pain spreading all around my eyes, jaws , teeth, And headache. The problem started  after my open heart surgery for an aorotic valve replacement, and I am on coumadin therapy for life time.  With my primary Dr. we did a lot of  kind lab tests included TSH and they all come normal.  I am a nurse working in the hospital. I wear a lots of clothing . If a go to the grocery store , I run along the aisles becuase I don't want to get sick . I stopped going to restaurants. Can you offer any help as to what it might be, what has caused it and what can be done? I so desperate, please help. Thank you
Just surfing for info. on my allergy to cold air, also, and noticed your request for help.  I read an article recently that said people can acquire this allergy through a blood transfusion.  I assume you had one with your surgery?  I've had this problem for about 45 years and have found no help from medical establishment.  The most interesting thing I've found lately is a form of nasal spray that is made from hot peppers, called Sinus Buster.  It really seems to help, except it doesn't help my eyes.  I'm also researching a nerve block procedure called SPG Block.  It uses lidocaine.

What is your age? Are you allergic to any specific substances? Have you had allergic reactions in the past?

Do you have any symptoms of sinusitis or rhinitis?

What other medications are you on currently?

You should get an ENT evaluation and get a CT scan of your sinuses done if advised by your ENT specialist advises.

Till then you should try some steam inhalation, saline nasal drops and see if it helps with your symptoms. But it would be best to avoif air conditioned environments till the cause of your symptoms is established.

Let us know about what your doctor advises and if you have any other doubts.

Keep us posted about how you are doing.

Regards.
Hi, I have very similar problems. After a short exposure to the air condition, I get pain in my nose and throat and if I stay more I get sinusitis-like and flu-luke symtoms (symptoms) for the next 2 days. Generally, I'm allergic to dust and mold, so since air condition systems very soon become a source of both, it could be allergy. But I tried all kinds of anti-allergic drugs including inhaled ones and nothing helps. I'm desperate...
Marina
Is there a such thing as being allergic to the air conditioning, because every time we turn the air on in the car, house or anywhere our grandson, nose starts to run, sneezing, wheezing, coughing, drolling,We am giving him a asthma treatment everynight, but only helps short term. Should we have him tested.
Hello Dears,

First of all, I am from Scandinavia so English is not my native but I hope you are still able to read my story.

I have been having some allergic symptoms in certain office buildings. I have a lot of common allergies, such as dust, strong chemicals, pollen, animals etc. But these symptoms which I get in certain office buildings  certainly differ from normal allergy and antihistamins are not efficient to them.

My symptoms: they begin after 30min-2hours, very dry and sticky eyes, dry nose, nose almost bleeding, dry and sore throath, sore bronciali, difficult to breath, flu-like symptoms, funny feeling in the head like brains were not working properly, difficult to concentrate, weird cough. After 2 to 3 days when not in these buildings symptoms completely gone.

At first I thought it was mold which causes this. But I have been studying a lot about it and it is not mold. It is an air conditioning.
Especially when the space is small and low, so the blowers are too close. When it is a bigger and higher place, no symptoms usually. Sometimes also then symptoms, if the AC is very strong.

I have found no medical cure to this. And I have tried almost everything from medication to acupuncture and ayurverda. Only thing that helps some amount is DUACT, which is antihistamin+pseudoefedrin and it reduces the swelling of mucous. So it helps breathing and reduces pain in bronciolis. But it does not help properly, but it makes beeing somewhat more reasonable.

So, my country is SO small that I really had to start to find some info in English and luckily I found at least some people who are also suffering from this.

I have to say that this really affects my career. I have been forced to change working places quite often, because of this. And now again I am in the difficult situation.

And of course when it is just a problem of very few, no one cares. Doctors don`t care and can`t help. People are angry at work places if I complain something like this. You know the additude.

I am also quite desperate. But I am lucky in that sense that I am usually fine in restaurants, cafes, airplanes, cars etc. But can I use them in the future if I can not work?  ;)

How is it going with Your work life?
Hi everyone,

Here are my 2-cents: I live in Lima-Peru, and I also suffer a bad case of cold-like symptons whenever I am around an AC even for a short while. I feel that every year these symptons are getting even worse. I have found that the best cure for this is to put a hot water bag over my chest every night after I come back from the office (yeap, that´s where the dreaded AC is located!)..try it, the cold-like symptons will go away in less than 30 minutes, but unfortunately they will reappear next day once I step back into the office.

Cheers,
Lately, I have become very sensitive to A/C.  When the cold air blows down my neck and back I begin to get a cold and tingly sensation down by back.  It lasts for hours.  I have tried Aleve, Advil and Tylenol to no avail.   If I get a good nights sleep, I wake up feeling OK.  But, if I come in contact with cold air it starts all over again.

I too am desperate.
Hi ,

I am 26 years old and for last two years have been allergic to anything that is cold .
I feel like Air conditioning is killing me . My body temperature rises within 10 minutes of exposure to AC , nose become congested , breathlessness , headache and many other related problems starts to develop .

I cant eat anything cold even at 40 degrees .
Winters cause more problems . So its not particular to AC its to cold temperature .
Normally I take lot of sunlight to adjust my body temperature .

Life has become a joke of sorts , both at home and at office .
I've tried homeopathy and ayurveda but none has helped .

Please help if someone has some information .

Thanx
I lived at North Bihar in india till i was 25 , i noticed that pollen exposure in that area is very high and due to this reason i was having allergy for almost 15 yrs [from age 10 to 25]. The symptoms were the same as due to cold air. I was also prone to cold air allergy. But from past 10 yrs i am residing at western UP/NCR  region in india. Here i don't find pollen exposure and not affected in winter against cold air. I would tell from my experience that if you are able to avoid the allergic conditions for a prolonged time , you may be able to recover from it.
please help,when i'm exposed to the air, dust, cool air, or etc...i began to get a feeling In my throat fell like a dust ball, I began coughing, none stop,i cant stop coughing until mucus comes up from  somewhere.
then the AC , my head began to throbe ach, I began gettin stuffed up with cold and mucus right away,I began coughing, I feel like Im looseing
my mind, because everything hit me at once!! I cant visit family because
of the AC, cant stay In the stores for a short period of time, cant ride In the car with family because of A C. some one please  help Im on my way to commiting  ????
I have this problem as well, just like you describe...Cold winter temps always bothered me and what cause me to be sick with what I considered a cold for my whole life, but now in the last 1 1/2 it has gotten this way with AC to the point it really is affecting every area of life....I went to the movies the other night and had the cold air blowing from the ceiling in my face and was so sick yesterday, I thought I was dying....I finally had to bath with hot water and put hot washcloths over my entire face for about thirty minutes to bring it under some control.....What I learned last year from the ENT's and an allergy doctor was that it is called Vasomotor Rhinitis....my ENT has said that allergy can also make it worse....the turbinates in your nose most likely are swollen and they are not allowing the cold air temps to adjust to warmth before you breath it in....we have what is called turbinates, in our noses that are supposed to warm whatever temp our noses breath....I did notice when I started taking allergy injections in June, that it did seem to get a little better, but haven't had a shot for three weeks due to the grass seeding season here in VA....it caused me to have some wheezing in my left lung.... what I learned last year by way of a CT scan was that I had a deviated septum, and a nasal spur.....I saw about 3 different doctors on this subject and all had a different opinion of how or if to do correction surgery.....it seemed like they didn't want to do anything if I wasn't being treated at their office for allergies....I am scheduled to have this surgery on 9/8.....and hope it makes some difference....of course I will continue with allergy shots if I can....I did have a change in my environment just before all this got worse 1 1/2 yrs ago....changed residence, moved to a place they call allergy central.....
but on another note, my father had this same problem with AC and my sister has it as well.....I never knew what my father meant when he said he couldn't have AC in the house, I thought he was being stubborn.....my sister started telling me about 10 years ago, AC made her sick.....now at 52, it has affected me.....and like you, I cannot seem to live in a world of people who need cold blowing temps in the summer...when the AC is turned off, it gets better....so it almost makes me wonder if it a genetic thing with Vasomotor...which I pray it isn't, because doctors say there is no cure, and they give very little credence to the issue.....I can't imagine how I will be able to function in a world that seems to be turning the AC down further and further...there was a time when people tried to conserve energy, but stores, and all businesses in this town either having faulty ac units or they don't care about the electric bills anymore....either way, it makes it miserable for those of us with this....I would suggest going to a primary care to get a CT scan to see if there is a deviated septum issue....from my research into this, they can cause a lot of problems and make you a sick person....
I was in Mississippi and Chicago this summer a teacher conferences....I was freezing and miserable most of the time....same thing in my city, New York.....Also I start coughing.

I am seriously thinking of beginning an anti-air condition movement. ..and Keep in mind that most places that have aircondition are not regulated...meaning..you either have to freezing and turning it off and sweating (which) I'd rather do..but the point is this makes the energy companies wealthier...since it has to be on all the way....you can't adjust it...Anyone interested in starting a movement against this madness...and what about going green.??

I am 50 years young, the last few years I have had shortness of breath when I go out in cold. Then this year in March I started coughing any time I go to most doctor or  hospital buildings and when air is first turned on in other peoples cars. Here it is Nov. and I still have it! My throat gets dry yet my body produces a lot of thick clear sticky mucus that I can not get coughed up. A nebalizer treatment at one doctor let me cough up loads of flem (phlegm) but at home it does not work. I think they used a different med but the treatment is not recorded in my records at all so I do not know what they used.
allergy tests in 80's showed allergic to all kinds of things, dust, all trees, grasses, animals, molds, etc. tests done this month show allergic to dust, coach roaches (do not have any in house at this time) and some molds. I have had sinus problems on and off for years but nothing horrible except when pregnant. I have post nasal drip almost all the time. nose gets very dry and congested when ever I go any where outside or shopping, etc but able to blow it out. Only medicine I take every day is for hypothyroidism. I have been to 2 lung doctors, one said asthma, med's worked for a couple weeks then quit working,second one said allergies, sleep apnea, then throat problem sent me to allergist and ENT, ENT said he has no idea and he has had a few people who he sends to everyone and they never figure out anything to help, wants me to see a throat specialist just to get a second opinion.
I have had breathing tests done 4 times always showing normal, a sinus CT scan showing deviated septum but all sinuses clear and good even thou I have much pain in face. (dental problems?)
Have tried all kinds of sinus, allergy, asthma med's, nothing works more than a few days or weeks.
I can not avoid air conditioning. I am going thru change! I get very sick if I get hot. And the cough goes on..(song to the beat of And the beat goes on by Sunny and Cher)
I have all kinds of sensitivities to environmental things like chlorine, cleaning products, perfumes, diesel and some plastics with a lot of petroleum.
I have all kinds of medical things like:bowel problems, ears have fluid all the time, legs and feet swell real bad one worse than other one, nerve damage in back, leg, arm,wrist,  joint pain, weight gain,skin problems, tongue growth, feet and finger growth (thyroid med has brought blood tests to normal but I still have all the symptoms of hypothyroidism) teeth separating(all the symptoms of Acromegaly yet growth hormone is low not high) symptoms of brain tumor (head aches, forgetfulness, short and long term memory loss) but am to claustrophobic now to get MRI.
I have not had any blood transfusions
Does anyone else get horrible cold nose?
Is anyone else producing thick clear mucus?
Has anyone been tested for Cystic Fibrosis? My sons had all the symptoms when young, tests kept coming back in gray area, I have read many things that say today he would be diagnosed as having it yet they will not test me because I am not loosing wight I am gaining. I have found many people on Internet diagnosed with it that are gaining but docs will not listen.
Wow, StuffyNoz has some wonderful information! I am wondering where you live and what doctor diagnosed you! Vasomotor Rhinitis sounds exactly what I have. 8 months, over 25 doctor appointments including allergists, Pulmonologists, and a ENT None of them ever mentioned this!  Many hundreds of dollars (thousands if you include insurance pay outs) not only deductibles but tests some repeated 5 times, wrong med's, and home machines,(and then the drives to Nashville for some of those docs, ...including a 7 hour day at Vandy's great(LOL) allergy center) I have once again had to find out on my own research what it is! I hope and pray I ministered to all those medical people in a Godly way! (I got quite angry after 7 hours and a few real rude people at Vandy allergy, but there is a time for everything) I now know Nashville very well!
Now, what is causing my Acromegaly symptoms?????????
Well..I am a network engineer, and it happens I spend most of the time in server rooms. Fans blowing on my head, I felt ashamed to wrap myself in a hoodie, so I didn't, and I got very sick. I simply can't tolerate cold airflowes. We in Holland call it "tocht" I am not sure what the translation is in English. We may all think there is something wrong with us, but animals also get sick when they are exposed to "tocht". Airconditioning is simply very unhealthy unless well designed, and most are NOT. For instance, I can be at trader joes for a whole day and feel good. I can be at an office with bad airco and I get sick within 5 minutes. Because they airflow isn't balanced. "Tocht" means airflows developing too much speed, doesn't always mean cold airflows, it is related to the temperature difference and air flow speed. With other words, if it is 80F and you have an air flow of 80F with a speed of 200 miles an hour, it will be experienced as "tocht". Likewise, it it's lets say 30F and you have an airflow of 25 with a speed of 5 miles an hour, it will be experienced as "tocht" as well.

I don't understand how people can stand it. I started my new job a week ago, got very sick in the weekend, and it seems I have to quit because of this. Desperate? yes, because, what I am going to do??
Ok, I'm one more lucky one. Air Conditioning is cousing cold-like / allergic reaction  symptons for me. It is becoming an serious isssue especialy after moving to the country where air con is everywhere. I can not even be in the office without getting those reactions. How I will continue working?

The major question which I have to all of you - has anybody found anything what helps?
I can see a lot of people complaining about this issue, however I do not see any solutions so far.

Has anybody tried anything from Azelastine series? Astelin as an example?
Dear all,

I also have the same problems, as soon as I am in the cold AC for a few minutes I start feeling sick.  I actually just got very sick in the plane because they had a very cold AC with air blowing on top of my head, I have been sick for more than a week with running nose, headache, fever, very tired.  I always avoid going to the stores or at least I try to buy very fast and in the restaurants I try to always sit outside, but I agree with all of you, it is very hard to have a normal life in a country like the US where they use the AC constantly everywhere and people here seem to be used to it and if they do not have it they feel they cannot breath, so unhealthy.  I am originally from Europe and there I never got sick in my life.  I see that people have not found a solution for this problem yet....
hallo, not sure how to describe my problem but it´s realted to the cold air from the aircon.

i have immediate affects when exposed to cold air from airconditioning. as soon as the aircon is on, i suffer from the cold air, regadles the distance i´m from it - whether it´s blowing straight on me or it´s in the furtherest corner of a huge room. i start having ear pain, sinuses pain, eye pain, blocked nose, sorethrought, headache, and a feeling like i had milions of needles stabing me everywhere inside my head, all my head is just freezing. i start having a big presure coming from my neck up to the head. i also feel totaly exhausted without any energy. i immediately notice when the aircon is on.

i also start ffeeling pain in my bones and joints in all my body. but this is not as intensive as the previous problem and occures only after some time spent in an aiconditioned room.

i dont have astma, only regualr alergies (allergies) like to the indoor dust, some polen and some food.

i´m really desparate to find a help as this is creating a big problems especially at my work. i´m the only person, out of more 70, that has this problem and the rest just dont wanna believe me and thikns i´m just being difficult. people tend not to believe until they experience the problems themselvs.

in my private life it´s also not that easy as i have to avoid going indoors during summer time.

the paradox about my problem is that as i sufferred from cold weather in my home country, i moved to a hot southern one and suffer here even more ... :S

i will really appreciate any suggestion that helps. thank you. i look forward to hearing from you. have a nice day :)
I also have problems with airconditioning but have different systems.  The soft pallet in the roof of my mouse swells up.  This happens whether airconditioning is on cold or heat.  It does not cause any running nose, itchy eyes etc..

When pallet swells up I then lose my voice and have problems breathing. If I take an anti-inflamatory this brings swelling down.  Now living in Florida in US and everywher is airconditioned and sealed.  At home I have a window slightly opened and this seems to help.

This sound familiar to anyone???

This sound familiar to anyone???
I nearly cried when I stumbled on this thread. I'm not a freak after all !!

People who I thought were my friends laugh at me when I'm all wrapped up in a fleece blanket in an auditorium, office, or restaurant.

I do not get the flu-like symptoms I'm reading about here. I just feel cold, my head pounds, my neck and joints ache, my eyes get dry (probably from being blown on), and worse of all, I FALL ASLEEP. I can't concentrate. My body simply shuts down. That REALLY amuses people.

I'm so sick of explaining myself to people. Telling them that NO, it's not the cold air that's bothering me, it's the BLOWING of cold air. I'm fine outside on a frigid winter day. But put me in a room with those horrible vents blasting arctic air straight down on my head...in a situation where I must remain seated (like at work) and cannot escape it...it is torture.

I surmised it might be a metabolism issue, so I tried taking a thyroid stimulating herbal supplement, and it helped marginally. Or it might have been desperation and power of suggestion that made me think it helped, I don't know. It contained iodine among other things. I wonder if there's something in that.
Wow - when I visit my folks in South Carolina I always got sick from the air conditioning. I contributed it to either being in the pool and going directly inside as it was too hot to be outside without being in the pool. Here in Colorado I don't get flu like symptoms but when the AC is on and really cold like at my office or a store my face gets frozen and my skin on my face is extremely painful. It must be getting dry but no matter how much lotion and fish oil and coconut water I drink it still happens. The only option is to turn it down which is extremely challenging with other co-workers wanting it cooler. The only solution I can come up with is to find a job that doesn' t use air conditioning. I'm frustrated along with all of you about this crazy notion that summer inside needs to be at 50 degrees!
Last year , I posted a post on this thread . Since then I've been on ayurvedic therapy . Its not that things have changed drastically .Though I can say thing have improved 15-20% . My resistance to cold air has increased . Earlier I used to have nasal blockage , feverishness , severe pain in legs , chest congestion etc on exposure to air conditioning as I mentioned in my post last year . Things have improved at least in nasal blockage and feverishness .
          I've been searching google , medhelp and many other communities to find more info on this . I was trying to find why and how this sort of allergy develops . At least I found one more person near to my place having the same allergy . We both have
1. Deviated nasal septum
2. post nasal drip
3. allergy to dust , pollution
4. Inclination towards hot ( food , drinks , weather ) from childhood .
5. disliking towards sour , spicy foods

In ayurveda they say it a vata-kapha imbalance leading to severe loss of energy and resulting in this kind of allergy ( my ayurvedic doctor says this :-) )
                 I've been still browsing internet , contacting different doctors just to get some info on this . ( knowing how frustrating and career challenging allergy is this ) .

I don't know how many have you similar symptoms , but thought of sharing this with you all . I am still not sure if at all we can overcome this allergy in lifetime  !

Requesting others also to share their experiences after any treatment ( or otherwise as well ).

Br,
Rajat
Ever since i was a young child EVERY time i went to the grocery store, in the frozen food section i would experience stomach cramps and have to run and find a restroom to have a bowel movement.  If i got to a warm section i would be fine and not have to go. I dont think that is allergy but i always wondered why.
Allergy to cold air:

I too am allergic to cold air, ACs (cold only not heating), especially temperature below/ around 22 Celsius. The problem starts with exposed parts of the body like neck upwards, legs, hands and feet. It takes 5-10 minutes for the symptoms to appear. The symptoms are: nasal congestion, sneezing and running nose.

I get this problem only in "change of season months" when usual clothing used is less due to high ambient temperature. I am fine in winter because sensitive parts of the skin like neck, back, hands etc remain fully covered.

Solutions: Moving to warmer place in the room/office etc helps. A couple of other things are: using leg thermals if sitting in Air conditioned place is a necessity, keepning the neck also covered. While at home (with these symptoms) going to bed and covering the body completely with a blanket (to reverse the cold effect) helps immediately (nose dried up and the symptoms are not there so long I am in the bed). However, these would reappear once I am out of the bed. I usually avoid medicine unless I am to work with a group, like meeting or teaching.

Bottomline is: Keep the exposed body parts warm. It is not possible all the time but (I feel) that is the only way to avoid. Once I get get then warming up the sensitive parts listed above would help.
Om  
where to start, when I was younger (now 55) I lived everywhere in the world, from  very cold like Wyoming(snows for nine months) to Kuwait-my hometown- where it sizzles to 60 centigrade in the summer  and it is unbelievably cold in the winter, it is a kind of dry cold that really hits the bone. Although I am a thin person I could care less about the weather.
As I grew older, starting  ,oh, maybe late 40's my whole system started to fall apart piece by piece. Sometimes I attribute it to the abnormal abuse that I but my body under. But I do know a lot of people who have done the same but do not suffer, different metabolism I guess.
Now I live in Kuwait and the AC is the number one enemy for me(endless fights with my family-they have basically given up-), and cold weather is number two. In Kuwait as you know most of the time it is hot outside, so when the AC is ON I get the allergy symptoms and when it is off  it becomes hot and humid and I get the same symptoms. Can't run away. Though I did notice that it happens to me most often when my immune system is down by not eating and sleeping  right or having anxiety or generally not keeping good healthy lifestyle, and off course, it is worse when all mentioned causes come together. But also constant temperature does help whether it is a bit cold or a bit hot. But the Alternating temperature (badly designed system like one of the people on this forum mentioned) is a killer.
The strange part is that when I am on holiday ( twice a year) and I visit so many different countries (exposed to so many environments) I never get sick even under the heavy toll that a body comes under when you travel, as you know. Maybe because I am jolly then!
Claritin does help which I use when I cannot bear the suffering, but it makes me uncomfortable when I go to urinate. Also, these days I get two miseries for the price of one( under AC), I get both allergy AND cold symptoms. But from the posts it has become very clear that this problem is associated with some individuals body makeup and it is not a disease to be cured, just must be controlled.
Well , I am 26 Years Old from Pakistan and I have been suffering from AC Allergy  since 6-7 Years. I have tried many many anti-asthmatic inhalers but they worsened the condition. I had problem with coughing , very anti-social disease because due to this, patient as well as colleague struggle.

Fortunately, I realized this thing cannot be finished but controlled. So , I found two tablets ZENTEK and TELFAST that really control the symptoms upto 60-70%. It's just office AC that cause me problem.... at Home, there is no problem at all due to AC.

If anybody want , I could put the salts of ZENTEK and TELFAST over here so that you can match and find the same tablets in your country to control this allergy.

Sandiella, Your story 100% matches mine so I believe , you can benefit from this solution. You can contact me, I hope , your allergy symptoms are same as mine and that can be controlled.Good Luck

I suffer from sour throat and chest pain caused by exposure to AC at work. If my work place is near a window and i can let the window open, everything is ok. If i cannot open the window, i feel that something is strangling my throat and my chest hurts like when I am cold. Two hours after leaving the office everything gets back to normal.
No doctor has found a treatment for this problem. The only solution for me is to breath through a mask or a scarf (something that filters the air).
The saddest part is that colleagues cannot understand my problem because they are not affected.
And I don't know if changing the workplace can help :(
dear all
Last 6 years develop aircon allergy but also dust and polen.
Have to stop with aircon . use masc for polen and dust i have to buy a air filter for home.
  if is cold i use a oil radiater, is efective and problem FREE.
  if is hot i use a fan and mor important is do not allow the hot come in.
(close windows)
I can understand better how to live but some times if i need help i use
AQUEOUS NASAL SPRAY once a day, FLUTICASONEPROPIONATE 50 mcg/spray ; OR

LORATADINE 10mg tablets once a day. stop when im ok.

hope to help;  sorry my english.
To everyone suffering from AC problems

Can anyone tell me if their problems with AC have led to dizziness or vertigo? A few weeks ago myself and my work mates were moved into a new building which doesn't have any opening windows, and has what seems to me to be a very powerful AC system, as we were all freezing on our first day. On the second day of starting in the new build I was unable to walk staight or sit up and I was signed off by my doctor with vertigo. I have now been off work for nearly a month and I'm very worried about this. The vertigo is making my life miserable every day. However the other symptoms I experienced in the building including sore throat, cough and shivers all went as soon as I left. I tried to explain to occupational health that I felt it was the AC which was causing a problem, and she just didn't want to take this on board. Do the medical profession just not understand AC related problems??

I have requested to be moved back to the old build but in the meantime I'm continue to be very worried about my job and very dizzy :-( I want to pass on my sympathy and hugs to anyone suffering AC problems xx
I HAVE AN ANSWER;

Air-conditioning seriously aggravates my allergy problems (grass, trees,) through allergy season. Air-conditioning is debilitating.

The best answer, other than perfect sinus care (rinses, medications,) is to NOT blow your nose when you first begin to react to the air-conditioning. You MUST let the phlegm run and dry up IN your sinus cavity. When you let the phlegm dry up, it builds a protective layer between your sensitive sinuses and the air-conditioning effect.

It is difficult and painful, but instead of blowing your nose, simply dab away the excess phlegm from your nose as it runs. Tilt your head back and let the phlegm run back over your sinuses. Soon, (5-10 minutes, from first aggravation,) the phlegm will dry and your symptoms alleviate.

Do not sniff or snort too hard. breathe through your mouth. and do NOT blow your nose. (I know that is difficult because of the excess, watery phlegm.)

-Maybe the problem is that our phlegm is not sticky enough to immediately stick to our sinuses when our noses immediately begin to react?

Hi guys I pretty much have all the bad feeling in your post. I also got swollen legs. I feel normal when i am not in the air conditioned room.  The problem was really serious three years ago but now I am getting much better. I took chinese herbal medicine for almost a year in 2008. This year I feel perfect at home but still feel a bit struggling in the office.
I came across this because I can't breath at work. Stuffy nose, congested throat, routine bloody nose, headaches, itching/burning skin, itchy/puffy/watery eyes. Sometimes my eyes get so bad it turns to pink-eye. Many times co-workers think I'm crying. I've actually been written up for being too emotional. I just get so used to feeling horrible, I don't realize how bad I look to others. I get pink eye at least 4 - 6 times a year. My previous job did not have air conditioning and I did not have a problem. For the last 4 years at my current job the air conditioning has caused many problems. Taking an anti-histamine or decongestant does not help. It makes me feel worse. Sometimes I get nauseated and mostly always get headaches along with the breathing nose and throat issues. I've tried drinking water which seems to help.

I don't have any issues to cold air. I have lived in the snow and actually prefer it as I had zero breathing, skin or hair problems living in the cold. I believe my issues are with the air condition. I've always hated using it at home on in the car. It's in the office environment that I have problems with the air condition.

Several years ago, my job required that I traveled frequently many times to Vegas a very smoky area. I cannot deal around cigarette smoke. On at least three different occasions in my 40 plus years, my ear canals closed up from cigarette smoke. After traveling on planes, everytime I got home I would get sick with breathing and bronchial problems. My dr. had suggested that I drink water ALOT on a plane.  Ever since then I have never had a problem on a plane.

As I am typing this, I think I am going to try increasing my water consumption while at work with the air condition. Hopefully it will help.

My family goes camping alot. Every time we go away after the first day or two I am completely fine. My energy is back to normal. I breathe clearly. This last trip I had a reaction to extreme high winds visiting a lighthouse near the ocean. The winds were so bad it was hard to open the car door. The whole side of my face had welts on it from dermagraphism, which I'll explain later.

I've had anaphylactic shock reactions from eating nuts (both fruit and tree) and from eating fish (both fresh water and shell). My allergist tested me and said that I am allergic to absolutely nothing. He determined that I have Dermagraphism. It's a skin sensitivity issue where from the slightest touch my skin releases histamines and causes a break out. If I carry packages or books that rub my arms, neck or face I welt up and look like I've been beaten up.

When I search Dermagraphism (skin writing disease) on the internet I see some that are much more extreme. However, it affects every skin cell including ear, nose and throat. Lately, if I rub my nose or scratch my ear, they will then feel numb.

Everyones body has a different reaction to diseases and such including different reactions as our bodies age.

I have an identical twin who has NONE of these problems. Identical twins carry the same DNA. The post above that mentioned blood transfusions caught my eye as I had a blood transfusion at birth. My twin did not. All of these "non-allergies" started as early/young as I can remember and are getting worse each year.

This string on this website actually helped. After reading everyones post, I feel more strongly that my air condition issues are connected to the Dermagraphism which is more of a extra sensitive reaction to pollutions and toxins. On MedHelp, a dr said the allergy maybe to a gas coming from the air condition. This makes alot of sense to me. Now I need to ask my doctor about how to treat these symptoms.

I tell you my story just in case you relate to it, you can check out Dermagraphism which there is no known cause or cure. My dr. said that probably 20 percent of the population has it but doesn't know they have it. Only 1 percent or so are diagnosed with it. The only way to treat it is with anti-histamines which for me do not work.
I am very "allergic" to air conditioning. I can only bear it for short amounts of time, then I have to go outside to warm up. My throat closes up, I become very irritable, and I feel sick. It doesn't matter if it is in a car, store, office, etc...Last summer I was at an appointment, got there at 8:30AM and didn't get out until after noon and I could not leave to get warmed up and some fresh air, by the time I did leave, my throat was so closed up I could not eat. I have met maybe two other people who feel the same way I do and understand this allergic reaction, other than that, people think its all in my head or its BS. The only time I use AC at home or in my car is if I have my animals with me and even then, I have the windows open so I can get fresh air at the same time. I am not looking for a cure, I just try to avoid it at all costs, which is damn near impossible!
We all have very similar and horrible symptoms. Test after test and no one listens. Western medicine is taught to cover things up with drugs. I am drug free run four miles a day eat only grilled chicken or fish and vegis.  Something is in the air we are exposed to in so many different areas of our lives. Are you all sure its Air Conditioning?  Have any of you researched "chillers" or the chemical that is used to chill air? It is called "lithium bromide". Do more research and stay in touch. There has to be a light at the end of the tunnel.
I've had this condition for many years. Walking from one room to another causing a change in temperature is immediate, bedroom cooling down at night with the mucus seeping down into my lungs while sleeping, I am woken all though the night choking and coughing, just can't get any sleep.  it's difficult, family and friends get annoyed, sitting on a bus/aircraft with AC, supermarket freezers immediately causes large amounts of mucus, I choke as I'm overwhelmed with mucus, husband/friends are embarrassed and tell me I'm pretending because I don't want the AC on etc.  No Doctor or specialist seem to understand what I'm telling them, I've got letters that I've written to my Doctors going back twenty years, they just don't listen.   An X-ray shows half of each lung is damaged and non functional.  I obviously have allergies to other substances and manage these fairly well.  One feels that the general opinion of the medical profession is one of assuming the patient is barmy, in the meantime one's body is being eroded and damaged.  Jean UK
I have had allergies to dust and cold since 20 and i m 28 now. 10 months back, i came to us, and since then my allergy symtoms (symptoms) were gone and i was relieved. Recently, i happen to see the symptoms get back again. I researched for a while to find out the possible causes and checked if it was from some kind of food. But it wasnt. Hopelessly strggling for a while, this thing popped out in my mind tht ac in our apt was fixed recently and tried adjusting the vent in my room to let less air in and adjusting the ac knob to temp above 70F. It has helped me alot. Again, my symptoms are disappearing. Also, I usually wear some warm clothes when i am in my apt. I esp keep  my feet and ears warm. But i have found this really helpful.
I have all the same symptoms. After a day at the office with the ac on, I have severe headaches, swelling in my eyes, pain in limbs. When I walk, i experience severe weakness and sometimes have to sit down for a minute. I am 58 years old. I began to notice that my problems were worse than m daughters. They are not home as much as me and since we do not use the ac at home, weekends are definitely helpful for recuperation. Sometimes when it is really bad, I spend Saturday in bed and take frequent hot baths. The hot water tends to make my body pain less. I put a wash cloth soaked in very hot water over my eyes and nose. Inhaling the hot moist water helps. Last week, I was in and out of the hot bath at least 20 time over the weekend.

I was wondering if anybody has tested the air blowing from their air conditioning unit. Could it be that the air ducts are full of horrible bacteria or viruses that are being sent out into the office air? Honestly, I am afraid to say anything about it at work for fear they will think I am just causing and uprising or complaining about office working conditions.

I guess I've always mildly disliked air-conditioning in cars. However when I began working in an open office in a building of glass & steel with no windows to open and the AC doing the air ventilation, things started to get really bad.

- i got a place directly under an AC vent. I was instantly cold from my first day at work (struggling with cold & flu for days, wearing a turtleneck - it was winter, so no problem with that)
- after 14 days or so got a screwdriver, removed the AC lid above my head off and closed the ventilation (which is what some of my colleagues had done in the past), this helped a bit

But things started to go down the spiral for me after a month:

- i started to have severe knee pains from the cold draught under the tables,  tried wearing knee sleeves under the jeans, to ease the pain a bit, couldn't sleep at night due to the pains

- all this with feeling "hot" from the waist up, sometimes having trouble breathing due to lack of air above tables (this was the main symptom my colleagues experienced)

- things get worse, after 1-2 months or so, the issues move up from my knees to my waist

- basically i started feeling the cold draught in my bladder, had the urge to pee all the time, couldn't bear sitting at the the chair (i moved around the office, testing empty places, if there's one where i could sit); retreating to the office kitchen (the only place with for me bearable conditions - it even has a window where you can breathe fresh air) and the toilet to warm up constantly, crazy....right ?

- at this point i sought doctor's help, getting blood & urine tests, ultrasound checks, all negative

- bladder problems got serious, strident bladder pains, i got sensitive to draught and cold even outisde the office (draught in the subway, could not take a seat on the public transport - it seemed all too cold), at the office i was sitting having my lower body part wrapped in a blanket/sleeping bag, coworkers probably thinking i've gone crazy..

- i take a week+ off then, things got almost back to normal at home, i got back to office, after half a day - it was all back
- to the point where opening the office main door in the morning seemed like opening the fridge door

After 5 months I quit. I had hoped I would get accustomed to the working conditions at first, than i realized i wouldn't ever. This was a job a liked very much, great colleagues etc., but in the end i had no life outside of work, it was about getting home as soon as possible from work - to the warmth of my bed,
make the pains go away.

I'm a guy, i tend to dress lightly in the winter, i like cold. I really would like to know what's special about AC air, draught that makes me so unconformtable, if there's anything i could do about this, go on a specific diet, use some herbs, have been searching for an answer for a long time.
I have had problems with AC for at least 20 years (that I am aware of).  The first instance I can recall: I remember sleeping on a sofa under a window unit and became very sick.  My issues have become severely worse this year.  I work in an office building without any windows that open to the outside  and I don't even have a window in my office at all (been there for almost two years and yes, I had some issues last year but not to the extent they are this year).  I cough chronically all day long.  I also feel chest tightness, headaches,  short term memory issues, phlem, throat clearing, and sometimes runny nose and watery eyes. My body starts to shut down and I have to sometimes take a nap when I get home from exhaustion due to coughing so much. All of these symptoms return to normal when I go outside.  My co-workers have been supportive but are concerned that I might throw my back out from coughing so much.  I have tried out different offices within our but moving did not help.  The Health Dept. came in and noted that there was no airflow in my room and had the AC people to come out and check the system.  Some of the vents were opened and no leaks were found but my symptoms are still here.

I initially thought the issues may be mold or dust.  But I found it awfully hard to believe that I would be the only person allergic to those things and having issues.  I took a mold test but the indoor level was below the outdoor level of mold.  With dust, I am in the office year round in the same dust but only have the issues in the summer when the AC is on.  As it turns out, my doctor did both a skin and blood test (the last one was ten years ago) and I am still allergic to dustmites and outdoor molds but not indoor molds.

I did some nosing around on the Internet and found some people with AC issues are allergic to propylene glycol so I asked my Dr for that test.  He agreed to it and I am, in fact, allergic to PG.  But I called a friend who owns an HVAC company and he says not all ACs use PG.  PG is usually used in buildings with multiple floors (mixed with water  to lower the freezing point and sent through pipes) and not in home or window AC units.  Further, PG should be completely contained unless there's a leak.  If there's a leak, everyone would be sick because PG is toxic.  So while I know I am allergic to PG, that is most likely NOT the culprit as I get sick in all types of AC- not just my office, some worse than others.

My Dr and my husband have both suggested reactive airways to cold air.  The only thing is I am fine outside in the winter, opening the fridge, etc.  Also, many times the symptoms are more than just coughing and chest tightness and they last the entire time I am exposed to AC, not just when stepping into it from the outside.  I cannot even perform a pulmonary function test at the Dr's office.  I told him that if he took the test inside and another outside, he would get two separate results.

All of my other bloodwork came back normal except the iGe level was elevated so that only means I was having an allergic reaction to something at the lab (and the AC was blasting).  I am basically otherwise healthy and eat mostly natural foods and use mostly natural products.

I am frustrated and sick of being sick.  I am not wishing this on anyone  (myself included) but I am glad to see that I am not the only one.  I see a couple of good suggestions here in the sharing so I'll look into those things.  I wish there were solutions to this besides avoidance- my husband teases me that most people go into AC to avoid allergies, I go out.  I don't want to switch jobs right now and even so where would I work that doesn't have AC?  I also wish for an answer and that this were recognized more by the medical community and others.

I also have the same symptoms as you.  But I also loose my voice and squeak.  I play French horn and at my last lesson I was trying so hard to get air into the horn, my face turned beat red.  
I have the same experience. The problem is caused by AC at workplace. Once the infection in upper airway spread out so much that due to difficulties in breathing, drinking & eating, life was threatened. When symptoms occur, no medicines help.

During the several years fighting the AC symptoms, I have gained some clues as to what could be helpful.
1. acupuncture
2. sunshine
3. (the most magic) regular high-energy-dance - try salsa! Do it four evenings a week! Take a day salsa class on weekend!
The last one was what really increased my body's resistance to cold air dramatically. While being a regular salsa dancer >15 hours/week, I was free of any AC symptoms. I pray that the tip may be of help to some of those who suffer from the same desperate situation as I have gone through.
22-24 is the standard temp range in my office building. It is further confirmed by CIBSE http://www.cibse.org/index.cfm?go=page.view&item=453 where recommended temp / day light is stated.
Take a typical summer day with outdoor temp 36 and indoor temp 24, the air coming out of the ventilation is much colder than 24 degrees. Sitting directly below the air vent can lead to many symptoms. Speak to your building service, adjust the temp / reduce the draft / let more sunlight through. Hope the info helps!
I am having the same issues with aircon, as soon as I walk in to an aircondition room I will start to cough a dry cough shortly after, if I am in there long enough, it feels like my throat swells,I get a croaky voice for sometime after,my sinuses block up, it feel as though my chest has a problem. I have experenced dizziness, blurred vision, seeing stars, confusion and chest, back and stomach pains for days after long exposure. I don't know if it's related but it has felt like I was going to die at times. I also had pains in my left shoulder and arm which came and went, I originally thought it was a heart attack. Sometimes I will walk into the aircon and feel physically exhausted almost immediatley after coughing. It has only really started to make itself apparent this year. But the one thing I did notice before this all happening was me enduring more stress than anyone should ever have to deal with over a period of a couple of years prior to this happening. I am a 28 year old male and was in perfect physical condition and extremely fit and extremely active, so much to the point where everyone around me would tire and drop off and I would just keep going. All within a year it seems all that has turned around to be the complete opposite of who I am. The drive is still there, but my strength and stamina are well and truly non existant anymore, it's like I turned into the walking dead overnight. I still look fine and healthy, I have had chest xrays, ecg, and blood tests done and nothing has come up positive. The only things I have experienced in the last 6months which may be related to this and I have tested positive for a couple of months ago, was whooping cough, streptococcus, glandular fever, and microplasma (mycoplasma) (possible pneaumonia).
If any one else has had a lead up similar to this then it may offer some insight for diagnosing the causes of this annoying disease.
Please post all details if you have experienced something similar.
I am so pleased I found this site.  I live in the UK and don't come into contact with air con very often.  Having just started a new job as a trainer I was sent to a call centre for a 3 hour session - everything sealed and full air con.  After 3 hours I started getting a raging sore throat - the worst I have ever known but without any flu type symptoms such as aches and high temp.  I was awake most of that night, the pain was awful and my throat was parched dry.  Next morning I had a wheezy cough and my voice was just a croak.  The symptoms gradually eased over the week until my next visit when they were back with a vengance.  I have had the cough and wheezing for 5 weeks plus the awful fuzzy brain feeling and it has started to make me feel quite tearful and depressed. Each time I have been back into this building it has flared up again.  Having not been there for 10 days I felt better and thought it might just be a coincidence but a visit again 3 days ago has put me back to square one.  
i too have suffered dizziness from AC at my work place. i am forced to sit directly under the AC vent and ever since i have experienced on going symptoms including heache, dry eyes, runny nose, dry and sore throat. Feeling this way constantly is now making me naseas and making life at work very miserable, hope this helps
I have similar problems ... if ever should you find out about anything that can help ...please share ... thanks!
I am so glad to find you all. I can't stand the draft from a/c. I was always cold sensitive but after I had a cornea transplant and pneumonia I became hypersensitive to any draft from air conditioning, or a breeze outdoors. I used to love a little breeze on a hot day. No more. I wear turtleneck tops on days when it is 80º outside. I bundle up when eveyone is wearing shorts and halters. People think I am weird. I have fibromyalgia and other medical problems and don't know if any are the reason for this problem. I have tried to adjust medications I am taking that might make a person feel cold or hot but it only helped a tiny drop. Something went wrong after the transplant surgery and the Pneumonia. I also developed shingles at the same time. My body went haywire. No doctor has a clue how to help me. I just get so frustrated. It is so upsetting.
me too. It's the blowing of the cold air that does it for me.Although if it is cold outside I can't go out without a heavy jacket on just to take in the newspaper because i wll get sick. I will catch a severe upper respiratory illness and need antibiotics to cure it. I think there is some bacteria that lurkes in my body and the moment it gets a chill the bacteria take off. But I need to bundle up where there is blasting a/c and in fact have left my art class and yoga class this week because the a/c in the building they are in so blasting so much. Some days are worse than others. It makes my life miserable because the clubhouse where I live is where these activities are and I can't stand the way they blast the a/c and I have complained to no avail.
I'm in Terry!  I agree with everything you wrote about using AC
Would it not be possible that the air conditioning contains something to which is toxic or "dissagrees" - anyone tried this way as opposed to changing them selves ?

However it could be that immune systoms are challanged by the bacteria in the AC system ?

Hi everyone,
It's good to know I'm not alone... I don't have allergies and believe my problems with A/C are manifestation of general cold intolerance syndrome. My family doctor believes it's a form of hyperalgesia,  at least that's what he wrote to my HR to back up my request for moving to another cubicle... He thinks anxiety may be part of the problem - and it's certainly is but I don't believe anti-anxiety drugs is worth trying.
It's getting worse with age (I'm 61). In summer time I wear a sweater AND a jacket in the office or turn on portable heater or drink hot tea all the time. The folks around me sit in T-shirts and growl when I adjust wall A/C regulators...
Anyway, my point is that those who suffer from AC may want to look at generic cold intolerance, which to my best knowledge doesn't have a cure either (unless it's a result of hypothyroidism).
Good luck, abs51
Hmmm....Can't find my symptoms on this thread but here goes....I've had psoriasis all my life. It's an auto-immune disorder and therefore not curable.. But the symptoms were always limited to the scalp and, in a minor way, to the ears. Last year in May, it erupted into a full-blown case of palmo-plantar psoriasis, which basically destroys the skin of the palms and the soles, as the immune system, thinking something wrong, continues to make new skin day and night. The dermatoloigist asked, "Where have YOU been?" Of course, as a 73-yr old, I couldn't remember (lol). As an avid gardener, I had been into practically everything. Then there was the woodworking....In response, I just sighed.

It took over three months and many medications later for the condition to vanish, but vanish it did. Touch wood.... I soon got over memories of the ordeal and stopped touching wood. This week the symptoms are returning.

What do May 2011 and May 2012 have in common? Both times I worked extensively on the air conditioning of my car. Frequently, this involved holding my hands in front of the louvres of the air ducts.Strange as it may seem, this may answer the question my dermatologist asked me. Now, air conditioning does not cause psoriasis. But air conditioning may be the trigger that sets it off.

I know these are "new" symptoms and it is not my intent to change the subject of other symptoms mentioned. Most are clearly debilitating. But maybe my symtpoms will bring others like me out of the woodwork.

Ask you Doctor to Check your Thyroid -  
I too have a sensitivity to AC.  I believe it is the coolant in the AC that is escaping through a tiny pinhole leak that is causing the sensitivity.  I also have problems with some cars.  If there is a faint smell of antifreeze in the car i will get ill too,  the cars i believe leak a tiny bit of the AC coolant into the cab causing my eyes to burn, nausea, brain fog, etc.  It does not happen with all AC for me.  I have stayed in hotels in the tropics and had to have the AC on all the time with no problems.  So i think it may be a problem with cheaper AC systems.  AS for cars i am able to ride in most toyotas although i tried a toyota truck and felt ill imediatley.  I had to quit my job because the company vehicle made me sick.  I didnt know how to tell them i was allergic to the vehicle they wouould have laughed at me or thought i was crazy so i just didnt show up.  Now i am without work, i loved that job too. I once had a honda that made me ill so i thought if i drained all the AC lines it would not make me sick, but i think there was a tiny pinhole leak in the radiator system.  so i was still ill.  I am also allergic to certain carpets, most foams in cheap matress pads, and the strong smell of tires.  I had bought a hand cart from lowes and when i brought it home i realized the smell of the tires was making me ill.  For about two years i ripped my house apart trying to find out what i was allergic to. I have gotten rid of most everything that causes problems.  I dont run the central air.  I run a small air conditioner upstairs but have to turn it off when i come upstairs to sleep at night but this keeps the house fairly cool.  I have thrown away countless items thinking i was allergic only to realize it was something else making me sick.  
Hi you may consider that you are overly acidic. Google psoraisis (psoriasis) oxidative stress   Avoid all sodas, reverse osmosis water and purified bottled water as they can be very acidic.

Find someone in your area with Kangen Water. it is alkaline water and helps balance the body. if you find someone to share the water with you bring a small bottle and also ask for some strong acidic water to dab on affected external areas. You are welcome to message me direct for more on this. Aina-***@****
Any luck I just started a new job and after a few hours I can't speak
I just started a new job and lose my voice in about 3 hours from the ac any ideas
Take cold showers regularly to build up resistance.
I had problems like the above for years.
Due to allergy I wore a jacket even mid summer and always long sleeves, also at night I had a blanket no matter how hot it was.
Slight breezes or drafts set me off easily.
I went on a holiday to Budapest and it was so very hot without breeze, that I was able to wear less clothes.
Also the thermen did me very well, I am now able to walk around with only a shortsleeved t-shirt and I regularly go out without a jacket!
My problems have lessened severely due to a better resistence.
Hi rajatkochar,

I also have a similar problem.. Am suffering from this problem for the past six years.. My nose gets very much congested in A/c and cold climate. Am living in Bangalore. It's getting worse here . Am not able to sleep in the nights... I have been using litres of Nasivion nasal drops to get rid of the nasal blockage.. Which actually shouldn't be continues for a long period as that itself will cause  a stuffy nose.. Have ur allergy improved.. If yes.. Please share.thanks

Rebecca
Interesting to see people with the same problems...I seriously suffer from airco for 6 years now. My symptoms are getting worth and stronger, I cannot face all the pain anymore. It is caused by my work place , but going away is also not easy, it's more or less impossible to find an airco free working place these days! Also it seems that there is no medical prove that the symptoms are caused by the airco, so usually people think I'm crazy or the problems are not real.I have swollen and painful throat, headache, dizziness, difficult breathing, cramps in my head , neck and shoulders, cannot concentrate anymore. Im completely broken for the end of the day, my weekends are for recovering and Monday it begins again. From a healthy, sporty cheerful girl I became a completely broken person. Ç
Don't know what country you are from.. i'm in australia. look up on allergys (allergies) and gmo foods.. i suffered terrible allergys (allergies) of all kinds for 7 years.. i was house bound and had the flu constantly.. I'm studding Naturopathy now.. i have found that if i remove gmo foods from my body then i'm not allergic to anything in the enviroment.. if i slip up and eat a gmo food i suffer again for 3 days.. the study's i have done on gmo is showing me that the food is changing our dna, changing our dna makes us allegic to our world. normally the gmo foods will be what you most likley crave.. have a look into it anyway.. it might be your problem to.. they don't tell us if bug's eat it they die and when sampled in rats it was a very bad out come.. the white house passed it.. anyway best of luck.. God is faithful, stay away from the Doctors!
Hi everyone, I have been desperately trying to find someone with the same issues as I have.  My problem is not just with the ac but with cold air, every time I am exposed to cold air I get terrible pains on one side of my face. I also get cold symptoms, I get congested in one nostril and eventually get really sick and end up taking antibiotics for infections. It does not matter where I am, if it is cold I feel pain, even when I open the freezer at home. Doctors keep giving me different medications for pain but what I need to know is why am I having pain from the cold, and what is causing it.  If there is anyone who can help me with this problem I would love to hear from you, it is soo depressing.
Hi Gabriella, I have exactly the same symptoms and my life has been affected in every negative way by the air conditioning at work and as many people here say, no understanding from the colleagues and it's not so common to have these symptoms. Constant headaches, sore throat, cough,  itchy skin, neck and back pain, muscle/joints pain and in the last months I started to have twitches in both eyes which drives me completely crazy. And as you said, I used to go to gym, was fit and healthy all my life but now I feel like a zombie, constantly feeling bad and sick and in pain. Some days Im just so desperate that Im ready to quit the job no matter what just to be healthy again. And the only thing we actually need from others is to listen and try to understand and help us turn the aircon down. Instead they make us feel like we are selfish or something but in fact THEY are selfish if they can't understand.. :(
Hi everyone, majority of you is absolutely normal people. The problem with air conditioners is not a pure medical one, but rather social. Through all the mankind's history powerful and brutal people used to force others to have a very bad habits. These habits are like body mutilation, heavy drinking, smoking, air conditioning, drug abuse, petrol sniffing etc. I CAN NOT remember any public referendum on whether how many people really want to be sitting in a completely sealed without any regular oxygen intake room at work, on a train etc. These powerful people simply do whatever they want to others. These are so called “decision makers”. Recycled air air-conditioning system is killing machine used by some people to get unnatural enjoyment.  People used to live without them since Adam and Eve. I live in Australia and look what they do to their children. NSW, Victoria and Tasmania have the highest level of asthma among children in World! I spoke to older people and it was not a problem at all say 90 years ago in this of the cleanest countries in the World. Asthma is not a problem in the developing world. Poor countries may be much polluted, but there are not too much aircons there.  Recycled air air-conditioning system has 2 mechanisms to make people sick or very sick. The first one may be not very killing – it is a flow of cold air. But is still may be very damaging for many people including me. The second one is a pure crime – it is a continuous flow of parasites, fungus, dust and bacteria delivered into your nose and lungs. Every test of the air will confirm their presence.  Unfortunately it is almost impossible to explain to many smokers or drug abusers that what they are doing is bad. I used to live in USSR and smoking + heavy drinking used to be absolutely mandatory to be promoted at work. This is the same story.

Perhaps, the cold showers helped because they close/shrink the pores on your skin, and then the skin does not absorb as much stuff from the environment you are in.
To test this you could try (but why would you?) hot showers for a few days. If the symptoms come back full force, then you know that the positive effect of cold showers is not resistance but pore closure.  If the symptoms remain muted, then resistance may be the correct understanding of the positive effect.  
I accidentally came across the description of your problems and it made me think of mastocitosis, a chronic disease with very similar symptoms. Have you considerede having it?
Recently i am trying Baking Soda (sodium bicarbonate) 1/2 or 1/4 teaspoon dissolved in water; sometimes twice a day, sometimes just once a day.
this self-treatment with baking soda is helping me be less sensitive to allergens, but it has completely gotten rid of my sensitivity to cold air outdoors or indoors.
My hypothesis is that our blood pH is out of balance. the cause could be our diet (too much acidifying foods, not enough alkalizing food [like green vegetables and fruits), or it could be a metabolic disease, or your kidneys have given up trying to compensate our acidic blood state. I believe an acid blood state exacerbates our allergies and makes us sensitive to cold. It is just a hypothesis, but baking soda has worked miracles for me.

I hope this helps someone out there. I know how miserable life can be when you always feel cold and feeling like you have a perpetual cold (the flu).

once again, 1/2 to 1/4 teaspoon or tablespoon of baking soda daily until you feel better, then you can skip one day, or not, depending on how you feel.

one more thing, do some research into alkalizing food and acidifying foods.
one natural way of bringing your blood pH to neutral levels (rather than acidic levels) is by eating more alkalizing foods; and what a surprise that alkalizing foods are fruits and vegetables (the ones we skip in our meals).
HINT: meats make our blood acidic, balance it with some dark green veggies.

Ps: next time you go to the doctor ask "them" to test your blood pH. you may have a metabolic problem that brings your blood down to an acidic state.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not a doctor !
but my frustration with my condition was so great that i decided to investigate it myself, by going to nursing school. so i have some understanding of how the body works. and now i found a treatment for myself. i hope this helps others out there.
i dont understand what you are saying.