Allergy Community
sudden facial swelling

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

sudden facial swelling

For the past two years I have had unexplained and sudden serious facial swelling.  These have landed me in the ER three times and have occurred 6 times total.  Each time I have been told:  ace inibitors caused it, another blood pressure medication caused it...then no answers. I am very concerned.  I was at work and had nothing but water to drink and no food for at least three hours and all of a sudden my lip started swelling.  By the time I got to the hospital, I looked in the mirror and did not recognize myself.  Before I did not have hives or itching of any sort.  The night before this instance, I developed hives in my evening education class and took benedryl which made it go away.  The next day at noon I developed hives and horrible swelling.  I did a lot of research and heard of angioedema.  Does anyone know of this?  I have two of the symptoms listed:  ibuprofin use and achohol use.  Can anyone help me with this?  No doctor seems to be able to so far and I cannot have this affecting me on my vacations and work hours anymore, plus it is horrible to go through!