throat tightness and dryness
Hello, everyone

about two days ago I began to feel tightness and dryness in my throat as I breath I feel the need to cough.  I have never been diagnosed with asthma or allergies.  I have a boulding disk and recently the doctor prescribed me Hydrocodone and i only took those for two days and I stopped taking them.  can that medicine be the reason for my symptoms?

Hi, welcome to the forum, your history is suggestive of bronchial asthma or laryngeal reflux. Drug allergy to hydrocodone can also be a possibility.

The possibilities for allergy are due to presence of Phenanthrene in opioids. You can even develop hypersensitivity reactions to other phenanthrene derivative opioid agonists (codeine, hydrocodone, hydromorphone, levorphanol, oxycodone, oxymorphone).

Another precipitating factor is morphine is known to release histamine which can further precipitate the allergy. Subsequent exposure can be life threatening. Hence, if drug allergy is suspected, future exposure to such drugs should be avoided. Get evaluated for other mentioned causes. Take care and regards.