Allergy Community
titanium allergies to dental implants

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

titanium allergies to dental implants

I recieved an dental implant in 3/09.  I have had swelling of the eyes , mouth, chin and seeping hives around my mouth when I go to work as a nurse.  I have had allergy scratch tests and patch tests showing sensitivities to cleaner, soap , gloves, and fragrances.  I then went back for a titanium patch test which was mildly positive.  I seem to have a hypersensitivity to things at work and am better at home.  What else can I do to convince my oral surgeon to remove my implant?  He does not feel that is my problem.  
I too have had a dental implant in september 2009.
Within two weeks, got headaches in temples.  Joint pain. and now have ringing in my ears.  I had the Melissa test done.
I tested mildly sensitive.  My Surgeon will gladly remove mine, but isn't sure that it
is my problem.  My doctors and dentists are not sure if it is or isn't the titanium and
all want to leave it up to me.  
I have been anguishing over this for months now and am trying to find people who are
experiencing the same problem so we can all get it resolved and feel good again.
Where did you get the allergy scratch test done?  I was told that a normal blood test
would not show any results as far as allergy to titanium.
Look forward to hearing from you.
please read my previous note.  Waiting to hear from anyone that is experiencing same reaction from their titanium implant.  Sore joints, ringing in ears, headaches.
I had dental implants in 10/08.  I have had constant pain, mouth sores, headaches, burning pain in mouth, bad taste in mouth, bacteria in mouth.  Dentists don't want to treat me until I "deal with the above issues."  I get referred to oral surgeon, that was after ENT never saw anything like it.  Insurance sends multiple biopsies to lab.  Inconclusive - except when oral surgeon sends to a "special lab" that insurance doesn't pay for.  $250.  Then find out it is an allergy probably due to something I put in my mouth (i.e., crowns to implants or implants)....so once removed, I will get better.  Now this is in 3/10.  It has taken all this time to get here with insurance and doctor referrals.  Still in daily pain.  No pain reliever works.  Finally get approved to have removal of dental implants.  Make appointment.  Now oral surgeon tells insurance (so insurance papers say) that he doesn't think implants are causing the problem so insurance denies surgery.  I need help - I am in pain daily.  I need a lawyer too.  I was so close to not having open sores and daily headaches.  Yes, they proved I don't have yeast infection or other herpes-type problems.
I had one titanium dental implant put in my mouth in Oct. 2010.  I have a medical history of Lupus which is an autoimmune disease. Well shortly after the implant was put in I started having problems with healing from infections.  My left ear got an infection and after 21 days on powerful antibiotics still hasn't healed.  My head and neck feel achey (achy) and I have swollen lymph nodes in my neck.  I asked my dentist about allergies to titanium and he said no one is allergic to titanium. I read an article that said an allergic reaction to titanium can cause an autoimmune disease.  I see my dentist tomorrow morning and plan on asking him to remove the implant.  Hopefully this will help so I can finally feel like myself again.
It's almost impossibl eto get dentists to admit that dental materials can cause allergic reactions.I had the problems when I had veneers. I let the dentist know I was allergic to acrylic. He did not tell me that there was acrylic in the cement for the veneers even after I complained about an odd cottony sensation in my mouth after they were placed. He told me that it was likely a side effect from all the anesthetic he gave me and that it would go away. It didn't. A year later my mouth and tongue were burning up. I went back to him and he told me that it couldn't be due to the veneers. I asked him if there was acrylic in the cement. He admitted that there was but still denied that had anything to do with my burning mouth and tongue. I went to an ENT and allergist. They didn't help much. The ENT would only say that I had glossitis and refused to speculate on the cause. The allergist said it was possible that the acrylic cement was causing the problem but there was no way to prove it. I went back to the dentist but he told me that the allergist agreed with him and that the veneer cement could not possibly be the cause of the problem. I went to several other dentists but they denied that it could be the acrylic cement. One even told me that I must have been subconsciously rubbing my tongue against my teeth and that was the cause of the problem.
Please go to the other titanium discussion site, so you can see all the problems that other people have had to go through. It may be a big help to you.  Keep us posted.
My name and number are below.....
Maryann 610279 8499