titanium/vanadium/aluminum dental implant
Eleven months ago I had a titanium alloy dental implant along with a sinus lift and bovine bone graft.  The surgery was successful and the implant has since integrated with the bone.  One to two months after the surgery I started having cramps in the lower extremities that progressed to constant aching in the feet and knees.  Five months after the implant I elected to have the swine flu vaccination which resulted in a numb feeling and tingling in the extremities along with diarrhea and dizziness that subsided after a few days.  Since then the tingling has combined with the aching in the lower extremities and progressed upward to include the thighs.  Exercise makes all of the symptoms worse, as I experience severe aching and muscle twitching after any kind of physical activity.  A MRI of the brain and neck revealed increased areas of signal in the brain not consistent with ms.  Blood tests suggest autoimmune disfunction (positive ana, antithyroid antibodies, high IgG for parvovirus and EBV and CMV without being conclusive of connective tissue or thyroid disease.  A cone beam ct scan revealed an inflammatory process in the sinus above the implant and apical periodontal inflammation on the tooth behind the implant which was also giving me night fevers.  I have since had the root canal retreated on the tooth that was being blamed for my mouth discomfort.  This has resulted in a 100% improvement in the pain and feverish feeling emanating from THAT tooth, but I still have an strange irritating sensation emanating from the implant that extends to the cheek, nostril, and eye above the implant.  I have a feeling the implant is the cause of the mouth trouble and wondering if it is the cause of my neurological symptoms as well.  My physical activity has been reduced to a minimum compared to the level of physical activity previous to the surgery.  I wonder if the implant does not show the typical symptoms of rejection because of nightly bronchial and nasal steroid inhalations.  The implant looks good on scans and xrays.  I am not so good.  I am living a life of an inactive person because I have no tolerance for exercise.  I love to exercise and my dogs need a walk!!!  Today I went for a lower back MRI and had a hard time holding still because of feeling crampy and cold.

All of the docs say it is a coincidence that any of my problems started shortly after receiving the implant.  I have sent blood in for the Melisa test, but wonder if a reaction will show being I was not able to refrain from using inhalers for five days.  The implant has adhered to the bone and looks "perfect".  I am ready to get it out and praying I can return to my normal level of activity.  Is there anyone out there with some information that could help?

Am I the only one????  I don't think the ADA or the implant manufacturers want to investigate the possibility of this lucrative procedure being a problem for anyone, so it is hard to find any data supporting my suspicion.  

Thanks.
Just an update on my status.  Overall I feel a lot better than I did before I had the implant removed (i had the implant for 4 years) in Jan 2011.  I am still not 100% but my Dr said it would take approx 6 months of treatment before I was back to normal, and for me that is October.  Just to recap, prior to getting the implant I was already unknowingly infected with Lyme, Bartonella, Babesia, Erlichiosis, Mycoplasma and c. pneumonia but I was not symptomatic.  The implant caused my body to go into a tizzy and then I became very ill.  The implant also perforated my maxillary sinus and I subsequently developed a fungal infection.  I was finally diagnosed with all of these infections in April 2011 and am responding well to treatment.  I have been doing a lot of reading about microbial infections and I was pretty shocked to find out that most people have infections that they don't know about and that these infections have been linked to auto immune diseases, which is where I was headed.  I wanted to provide information here as it seems like so many of us are going through the same thing and most doctors are not literate at all on the subject, including infectious disease specialists.  It seems the implant gives these infections a place to flourish which would explain why some people don't seem to be ill with implants.  Here is info on mycoplasma http://www.rain-tree.com/myco.htm  
Here is info on lyme and other neurotoxin mediated diseases  http://www.betterhealthguy.com/joomla/images/stories/PDF/klinghardt%20-%20a%20unique%20healer.pdf
My dr follows a protocol developed by Dr Klinghardt, who is doing amazing work/research.
Best of luck to everyone
Thank you for letting us know your status.  There are others (Serbin, cascpa) who removed their implants some time ago as well, and it would be good to know if they have continued to improve.  It is too bad removing the implants did not net you a total improvement, but it sounds like it gave you a start.

Have you tried any alternative or integrative M.D.s?  So far it is where I have received the most help.  The 5 weeks of U.V. blood irradiation & ozone for infection helped & then adding the digestive enzymes designed to inhibit biofilm formation helped as well.  I have much in common with hopefulinSJ in that there is an infective component and that my maxillary sinus was perforated during the procedure.  Finding a competent practitioner who can help is a challenge when you are not like everyone else.  Right now (at this moment), my implant feels fine, but I still have the odd sensation in the feet and numbness in the legs and an odd array of immune activity in blood work without a explanation for any of it.  My guess is that it is a combination of pre-existing subclinical infection/s, a tendency toward autoimmune dysfunction, allergies, and then an overload of toxins (flu shots, dental implant, amalgam fillings) put me over the edge.  I am grateful for the help received so far, but still have a ways to go.  

The other thought that comes to mind is the NICO diagnosis that was mentioned to me by a D.O. who is also a dentist.  He wanted to remove a good portion of my jaw bone and prescribe heavy duty iv antibiotics.  The NICO lesions can be toxic to the body and produce unrelenting jaw and facial pain.  The NICO diagnosis has not been embraced by mainstream dentistry, as they would have to admit that the standard of care is actually inducing disease in certain people.  I have read that some of the dentists who perform cavitation surgery have clinics designed to address the systemic issues created by these jaw lesions.  Hopefully we won't have to go to such extremes!

The Environmental Center in Dallas, TX (posted by Georgek04) also looks like a source for help.  HopefulinSJ looks like she is getting somewhere with her treatment.  I hope you don't give up--someone will help you.  The challenge is finding them!

Thanks for  your advice and for your encouraging words. I understand that I'm not feeling as I used to but I have to tell you that I'm relieved that I don't have to deal with that poison of Titanium in my mouth anymore,

What has aggravated the all thing is that the Dentists were reluctant in removing the implants and made me wait out month before it was actually done and this was after  Dr. Elizabeth Valentine-Thon of the Melisa Laboratory of NJ called  the Head dentist at the Hospital to tell her story.

Even then I had to wait more weeks for the actual removal. Basically now my body is still fighting off  whatever damage the implants did and I hope that it will in time get rid of  the side effects and leftover toxicity. Hope that this mess did not generate any lasting  health problem.

I also hope that you find the right formula or treatment for your condition because you've been dealing with it for a too long time now.

You are right about dealing with this for too long!  I can tell you something has stopped the itching feeling on the back and arms--it is either the thyroid medication or the anti-infectives used in the sinus rinse.  What a long and convoluted story.  Like a bad dream.  

It would be so great if there were a concerned group of doctors who would recognize and define the symptoms we are experiencing.  Better yet, develop an effective treatment for it.  Even 3% of the population is quite a bit when you think of how many people who are getting titanium implants.  Now, if they were to patent a drug or something specifically designed to treat this problem, well then, there might be a financial reason to recognize us.  Until then, we have to help ourselves.
My therapist said the doctors don't pay attention to these forums.   They say only negative people post on these forums.   I'm not negative.   I just want pre-implant health back.   Why is it they don't read these forums?  How do we get heard before an epidemic begins.  I am done infectious disease and now referred to rheumatologist.  Mouth sores not so severe.   There, but do not need to treat.  Stomache?  I'm doing spoke cider vinegar and true natural honey. Sinuses... The rinse and the apple cider vinegar helps clear it up.  I am not ignoring what is irritating me.  I'm trying hard not to be afraid.  I hope the removal will eventually return me to prior health.  My ANA and C3 are elevated.  I do not have Lupus.  So we go from having infected teeth to now studying medical subjects to fix problems we never had prior to dental implants.  By the way, apparently while at dentist removing a tooth, my husband had the implant post put in.   My therapist doesn't want me to over-react.   These issues may not happen to him.   What???  Why did he do it you ask?   He was under anesthesia and typically did not call me to discuss.  He didn't want to lose more teeth and the dentist said it would be easier to have it inserted that day ....
This is not a NEGATIVE site, actually a very POSITVE site.  This is a site for anyone who have been through HELL with implants or with TITANIUM, or any METAL, like myself,  who are trying to be positive and get help for themselves and for others with the same problem.

I had 4 implants done on 11/10 with very serious neurological, muscular, GI,etc. which started 1 week after implants were put in and weakness so severe, it crippled me.   Both the dentist and oral surgeon were made aware of my problem with METAL before the implants..   But both assured me Titanium wouldn't be a problem.  They were so WRONG.

But, I am persistant and never once did I give up or agree with any of the Medical people I met with over the past 4 years.  THE DON"T KNOW ANYTHING about METAL TOXICITY.

But we do!  And we are going to win, because we know more than them.  So be proud of yourselves for what you are doing.

Now, 4 1/2 months after my implant removal, this past week I have started to see changes.  Luckily, I have an ENT, who has told me he has recently received information on problems with TITANIUM, who agreed that the implants caused my my sinus problems.

My severely numb feet, I was told by a Neurologist that it was from Diabetes, is starting to decrease, my heels are less numb and my feet aren't as numb, my leg weakness, which I was told was Diabetes, has decreased.   Diabetes doesn't work this way!

I am starting to sleep 3-4 hours at a time instead of being awake all night like I was for 8 months.  My ringing of the ears, now every few days, it has quieted down, but still needs improvements, my sore throat is slightly less.  My abdominal spasms, which were really severe has lessened.

Time to let the AMA and ADA know what has happened to us.   Write to them in your state, let them know what happened to you.   Don't be silent!   They can't help us or anyone else if we don't communicate what has happened to all of us.  BE POSITVE like yu have been.
Europe had numerous complaints over a decade ago with TITANIUM, why hasn't our FDA been on top of this?

FIGHT BACK and BE HEARD!

Estring
Negative?  Imagine if you could charge $3000.00 for a 45 minute procedure that left 95% of your customers satisfied.  Why would you want to trouble yourself with the small percentage who have trouble with the procedure or materials?  The problem is this small percentage is growing just as the total number of implants installed is also growing, and we are going to demand to be heard.  Nobody wants to be sick, complain, or spend their time and money trying to get their health back, but that is the unfortunate position we have all found ourselves in.  They do not want to acknowledge the facts of metal toxicity or sensitivity because they want to go on making money and deny any liability for the harm they have caused.  It is also due to the fact that none of this is taught in medical or dental schools (which in part are funded by pharmaceutical & other money making medical entities).  It seems the knowledge they are fed by these medical institutions leaves little room for critical or independent thought.  I just love it when a practitioner says "the studies say......"  or "the latest recommendation by the AMA is....."  Who do you think sponsors the studies?  How many clinical trials are there on treatments or drugs that will not produce big profits for the big industry of healthSCARE?  

Estring, I would like to know the info. your ENT has on the negative effect of titanium on the sinus.  Maybe I could show it to the ENT docs I have consulted with.  Also, why have our dentists not been learning from what has been going on in Europe?  Is there a way to get the statistics of what has been going on in Europe and apply it to practice over here? Are we an island?!

Have any of you heard of health testing centers?  If you look it up online--they offer testing for blood levels of heavy metals such as lead, mercury, and titanium.  They have a phone # you can call to consult with a nurse, but I suspect also a salesperson.  LOL my old man was right--there is a conspiracy to get your money!

Hang tough and please keep posting on your progress.

I am still living with my implant, but feel lots better due to many supplements and drugs taken to combat the constant infection where the sinus was perforated during the implant procedure.  I am thankful for the progress I have made and have not given up on the goal of complete recovery.

--The supplements that have helped the most would be 1000 mg MSM w molybdenum 3x/day, Klaire Labs interfase + enzyme supplement EDTA blend 2x/day with marcozyme pills and vitamin K/D3.  The EDTA blend and marcozyme was given by a physician but the others recommended by a guy with a cane at Whole Foods.  Go figure.  They have all helped.

Now I have been reading the above are useful in metal toxicity.  Hmmm....
I have a story that I hope some of you can relate to. I got 2 titanium implants put in my lower jaw 3 years ago. About 5 months after getting these in and started to feel burning in both sides of my cheeks. I also got a cist on both sides of my face where the implants are located. The ENT doctor put me on antibioitcs. After 6 weeks and i still wasn't feeling relief I got a CT scan of my whole head. Everything was completely clear. Since then I've been to numerous doctors, have had blood tests done and everything shows up fine. The burning in my cheeks got worse over the years and now I get headaches as well. It all started 4-5 months after getting these implants in...coincidence, I starting to think not! I haven't done the Melisa test because I can't find a doctor to prescribe it! I have decided to get these implants out and it is scheduled for next week. I have had nothing but trouble since these were put in. My doctor thinks it's impossible. but is willing to take them out since I've done everything else and it hasn't worked. My gut tells me I have a sensitivity to titanium or possibly a mild allergy, but it has gotten progressively worse over these 3 years and is all localized in my cheeks and forehead. I do have inflammation as well. Anyone have a similar experience? I can't wait to get these out. I truely believe it is the cause since everything else has been ruled out and I never expereinced any of this before the implants. Let me know your thoughts! Thanks.
It seems there is no end to the symptoms to be caused by these dental implants.  It is a hard situation to be in because it does not appear to be a commonly recognized phenomenae, nor do all of us have the same symptoms.  Maybe we are the lucky to have symptoms in the vicinity of the implants, as otherwise we wouldn't make the connection.  

I too have inflammation all over, but without an increased sedimentation rate to prove it.  In addition there is a smoldering infection/irritation/inflammation in the sinus over the implant that mainstream medicine has been loathe to recognize.  Thankfully I have been receiving help from M.D.s who have grown tired of insurance companies and others dictating treatment protocol for financial and political reasons.  

Next week I will be seeing a periodontist who has experience in removing implants.  I hope to regain my health and post progress in order to encourage others who may be in a similar circumstance.  

Good luck next week, and please post your progress.  Others who have posted on this site have had their implant/s removed and it would be so good to know of their long-term progress.  Some of them haven't posted beyond a week or two after removal.

The more I look up these titanium implants the more I find studies showing how bad they are for the human body. Of course there's the occasional person who has them all their life and is fine just as there's that person who smokes all their life and lives to be 90.
The worst place to have metal is actually in your mouth because it is close to your brain, the saliva helps activate the ion conductivity in the metal, etc. I will warn you that the periodontist you are going to see will probably discourage you from the surgery if the implant looks fine (which I think you said earlier that the implant itself was ok) but don't let him/her. The removal surgery actually only takes about 45 minutes and my doctor said the down time is about 4 days! So don't let anyone discourage you. Remember, at the end of the day you're dealing with the pain not them. That's when I finally came to the conclusion that I refuse to keep going down this spiral and my gut tells me I need to get these things out and that they are the core cause! My doctor said it's not possible and that titanium is basically inert. Sand is also inert, but I don't want that in my body. Doctors only know what they're taught and the occassional outlier doesn't matter to them. I have friends and neighbors that are doctors and they have even told me that if it was them they would take out the implants too.
I am confident that my body will heal quickly once the foreign object is out and I just started taking hollistic medicine to detox me and speed up the process. Good luck on your appointment and I hope you make the right decision for you. Let me know of any progress! I will keep you updated on mine :)
In a preliminary discussion with the Dr.(he hasn't yet examined me) he says he will probably need to patch the hole with cadaver bone.  He does not use the bovine grafting material that was used in my first procedure and has found instances where it never really does absorb, as we have been told. Did any of you have to get additional bone grafting after implant removal?  

At this point I do not want anything in my body that is not mine.  A friend of ours who had a cadaver bone graft on his hip ended up losing his spleen as the surgery/and or material triggered some kind of an autoimmune reaction in his blood.  There is a history of autoimmunity in my family and we now know (since the implant) I can have a tendency to it also.  What I need is to get all this crap out and heal, not add more materials that could possibly add to my problems.  Geeze!  We'll see how the appointment goes.
I was told I would need a bone graft after extraction and at the urging of MaryAnn (Serbin on here) went to her surgeon who doesn't do grafts. His feeling is that if one's body rejected the implant it would likely not do well with a graft or any foreign body, including grafting from my own bone.  Makes a lot of sense.  I did indeed have a hole in my sinus after extraction but it healed, just need to keep it clean.  The drs can monitor the progress of the hole closing with a cone beam ct scan but it can be difficult to find a dr with the machine.  They try to talk you into the graft by stating that if you ever get another implant there won't be enough bone there to make it stable.  I am never getting another implant.  They will also tell you that if you leave a hole between the oral cavity and the sinus you will have chronic infections, which would be true if the hole didn't seal.  Your body is able to do the repair work on it's own as long as it is kept clean.  Bone is living tissue that regenerates.  I had a cone beam ct scan done just to ensure the hole was healing.
Keep us posted on your progress, I am very interested to know how you feel after extraction.  Good luck
HI everyone,

Just want to update everyone on my progress,  my last post I stated it was 4 1/2 months, but I made a mistake it was 2 1/2 months.  Please forgive me.

It is now a little over 3 months since my removal of 4 upper implants I had removed 4 months after placement and removal.  

I now have no bowel spasms, they were so severe, I doubled over with the pain.  

My lower, mid and upper back pain is now just upper neck pain with stiffness.  

My muscle aches are slowly easing but are still there.

My severe 6 month long sinus infection, which I was going  to schedule for surgery, has been cancelled as my symptoms are gone.  My ENT told me I should never have had implants because of my chronic sinus infection, which by the way was only 2 years old and due to a dentist who failed to remove an infected tooth!

Smileynow,
I did not have a bone graft when they were removed, I did have a bone graft for 1 of my implants, it failed,    I can't say one way or the other, but in my case, it didn't work and I had the implants out without any difficulty in less than 1/2 hour without any complications, I cannot help you with that decision.   I healed fine without any difficulties.

As far as the sinuses goes, ENT was right, leave all alone and let nature take its course and I am doing well now,  Thank God, he knew what he was talking about.   He is from a Major Hospital in a Major City and from a Major Medical School.   He was wonderful!  Go to a Major Hospital in a large city for the same care, ask for the Chief of ENT and go from there if you continue with problems.

I am stuck with an upper denture and hate it but so glad I had the implants out!

As far as getting the implants out, go for it.    I never got worse, am slowly getting better.

Hang in there.

Estring
Hi to you and all. Have no patience to go through all of the above posts. Can you tell me if you removed your implants or not. Are you still holding on? As you may remember I finally had all of my five implants removed and what a difference ...but those Dentists lied and lied and messed up my health. But I'm not anymore with those excruciating side effects and although weaker and slender,yes that poison made me loose a lot of weight, I feel better.
I want to add that I still have nerve pain from the four operations and this is because the surgeons there didn't inject enough Ladocaine all around and at the incision place and didn't wait enough time for the full nerve block to take place.
So much for a Dental School where surgeons teach!
Take care.

Hi there & thanks so much for updating on your progress.  I can't remember--but did you have nerve pain in your legs & feet also?  If so, is that better?

I am still holding on with this damned implant, but did get some honest advice from a periodontist out of the area.  He said I was not a good candidate for an implant because my sinus cavities are so low and that the bone is so thin he would not have considered me a good candidate for an implant in the first place.  He also does not use the bovine bone grafting material used for my bone graft and considers it "crap".  He has seen cases where the boving grafting material looks fine on an x-ray but has not actually integrated with the bone and when removed comes out in shales or pieces.  He also thought that when the sinus cavity was perforated that it may not have healed correctly being I remember sneezing after the procedure and bits of bone coming out of my nose.  Using cpap therapy where your nose and sinuses have air delivered under pressure in order to keep the airway stented is also something that would have hindered normal healing.  I would have loved to have him take all the damned crap out of my jaw then & there only he thought there would be too big of a defect left and wanted to patch it with cadaver bone, and he was pretty adamant it needed to be patched and that I did not have enough bone to do it with.

Knowing how my body reacts to foreign substances I do not think this is a good idea.  I am going to find someone who can take it out and leave nothing or find a doc who does alot of autogenous bone grafting, where your own bone is used. Another possibility is the neuralgia induced cavitation theory.  This is something also denied by many dentists, but a growing number of dentists are treating this condition.  Right now I have to irrigate my sinus every night with an antifungal and antimicrobal wash.   Fungus grows on dead things, so maybe the bone is dead--I don't know.  

I would like to know how someone who posted--I think cascpa431 or something like that is doing, & serbin.  

Meanwhile I am happy to at least get some relief with the nasal irrigations and supplements--I was actually able to stop taking Celebrex, and instead using a supplement called Alpha flex, as well as MSM with molybdnum, vitamins, D, K, B, & ginger, which is antiinflammatory.  I was also given some thyroid medication by an m.d who practices alternative medicine.  --I am probably spending 1-200$/month on supplements, but what can you do?  They help.

I will keep you posted. I pray my sinus will return to normal once the bone grafting material comes out.  The only time my head feels totally good is when taking antibiotics and antifungals at the same time.  I hate this P.O.S. and wish it would just fall out or that God would see fit to practice some devine intervention and make it disappear!!

Take care.:-))
Hi all,

So it will be 3 weeks tomorrow since I got my 2 implants out (which I had for 4 years). The procedure went very well. I did not get a bone graft because I don't need another issue from that! Even though my oral surgeon doubted that taking them out would get rid of my pain he also agreed not to do a bone grafting just in case.
I can feel a difference. Before I couldn't move my forehead (it was stiff and hurt too much), couldn't smile because my cheeks felt like they were burning and hurt, my hands started to feel like arthritis really bad, my feet and right leg kept going numb, my face was becoming swollen. All this started very very gradually and got worse over the years. I am so glad I found this chat group. I can actually move my forehead and it doesn't hurt as bad, my cheeks still burn but not all the time and not as extreme, the swelling in my face is almost gone (and I'm talking about the swelling in my face before the surgery!), my arthitis in my hands is gone, I still get tingly in my hands and feet (but not bad). Overall, I can feel a difference! I'm still in pain and when I'm under stress it flares up even more, but it's gettting better! Dr. Valentine (in NJ) said a rule of thumb is you should feel a difference after 2 weeks and if it's in deep tissue it will take longer. Whoever still has their implant in and feels bad now. I am telling you it will only get worse if you leave it in. If I would have waited 4 more days I would have been in the hospital under morphine. Once it's out your body will reverse itself, but it takes time (unfortunitly....) Sometimes another month can feel like forever for me right now, but I'm trying to stay positive that I will just keep getting better. Anyone with advice is grealy appreciated! I will let you all know how I'm doing in the next 2-3 weeks. I don't think anyone should have these in. I just met someone who got an implant in and got bladder cancer 5 years later and he told me that he knows it was from the implant and is getting it removed now! Hope this info helps everyone. God Bless and share your stories. Thanks.
Hello and thank you for sharing your story.  It is encouraging that your health has improved after only 3 weeks and that it took 4 years to get you miserable enough to take the buggers out.  

Right now I have an appt. to have a consult on Sept. 26th and tentative removal of the implant on Sept. 27th.  One thing that may be bothering me as much as the implant is the bovine grafting material intruding into the maxillary sinus.  I pray they can get all this crap out and I can get on with life!!
Estring: Just wondering how you are feeling now? I think it's been almost another month for you?! I hope your symptoms are completely gone! It would make me feel better knowing someone who has recovered or almost there anyway. I am counting each day from the day these implants ahve been out (used to be each hour, lol).

smileynow: I am glad you have an appiontment to get the implant out! It's obviuos your body and sinus is having a seriuos reaction to the metal. there was someone in this chat who had a similar issue with their sinus cavity being punctured and I believe they didn't get the bovine grafting and that the hole healed itself relatively fast. Obviously, I don't know how severe the puncture is for the doctor to want to seal it, but maybe you should call that oral surgeon in Maryland (I believe). He's mentioned very early in the chat and maybe he can look at your x-rays. the chances of your body rejecting the bovine grafting is small, but so was what happened to all of us! It took a number of events and a LOT of pain to figure it out myself because all the doctors I went to said it was impossible! Ha. They were sooo wrong and I can't wait until I'm 100% again because I'm going to call and mail my story to them and get it out there for others. There's an article I want you to read (maybe you've already done so), but it is factual and proves our assuptions and what we all have been through and already know. Here's the article link I think you'll enjoy. http://www.ehow.com/about_5647775_allergic-reaction-dental-implants.html - read the "scientific Study Results" section.
As I told you all before I have been getting relief from the pain and infected feeling with various antimicrobal sinus rinses for months.  Well, that remedy has stopped working--I assume the microbes have developed resistance.  Now I am orally taking antibacterial and antifungal medications, which I know are toxic for the liver. It is the only treatment that gives me relief from the dental sinus pain as well as nasal swelling that severely limits the ability to get any sleep.  Right now I have an appointment on the 27th to get the implant out.  I pray he can remedy the sinus while he is getting the bone graft out.  I know and have known for over a year now that there is an infective component to what is ailing me but have been dismissed because of a low sed-rate and normal white blood cell count.  This has been the most frustrating, infuriating and expensive two years of my life.  

I really wish this would happen to just one of the arrogant jerks who have dismissed me as a "head case."  They so deserve it, & more!

Sorry for the delay but I had other problems to deal with. You mention about the 3% of people having side effects from these Toxic Titanium Implants. Well, don't be fooled by these low numbers because that's not the truth. Then truth is that all of those who go through these implants are going to get sick. All of them.
What is surprising is that  only  a  few of them will make a connection between all of their physical problems and the Titanium Implants. This is the truth.
You asked if I had nerve pain and yes I d
had and still have nerve pain but in the area of the gums where they cut without injecting the appropriate amount of Ladocaine and without waiting enough time between the actual injection of the agent and the operation itself. I felt a lot of pain during all of the four or five gum operations which I had. Excruciating pain I should say.
I'm glad that you have finally come to the conclusion that it's best for you to have the implant removed. I hope that everything will come out right for you.
I want to add that the  Surgeons at the Hospital used the cadaver bone as a graft without telling me what they were doing and I found that out long after they did it and I was very upset about it.
When finally I told them to remove the Titanium Implants,because of the terrible side effects, I also told them to also remove the cadaver bone. To my surprise he told me that by now the cadaver bone had been replaced by my own bone. He followed by saying that the cadaver bone was used as a way to "stimulate" my own bone growth and that was it. I don't know if this is true as they have lied and lied to me and proved them to be wrong and liars.
I wish you and all of you well.
smileynow, the above post was meant as an answer to your question.
Oh a solution can't come soon enough for me.  Next week going to see an ENT and oral surgeon.  Hopefully they can figure a solution and put an end to this misery!!!  I would love to have good news to report.

My dog sitter, who must be 70+, has 4 titanium implants.  She loves them.  She has had them for 4 years and noticed no ill effects to her health.  What gives?  I hope she stays healthy!

How are you?  What if you have a cavitation or some lingering infection?  Do you think that is what could be bothering you in addition to the metal exposure you had?  What about trying some of those supplements that are supposed to help your body rid itself of heavy metals?  The msm with molybdenum has helped me and the chlorella is supposed to be good.  Do you think you would be worse if you just kept the damned implants?

Thanks for your good wishes!
From what I understand by now it's better to have the implants removed. The body just doesn't want these foreign toxic substances. As for your dog sitter  "loving the implants" it's a puzzle.
She may have side effects from them but she thinks that what is troubling here comes from something else! Same as I though.
I don't believe that much  that your proposed therapies using natural remedies will do anything to me. I will just let nature go its course and see  how I will feel later on. I don't think that I have anything else apart from the residual side effects of the Titanium and Nickel, two known toxic materials.
Hi All,

I'm new to this community but grateful to have discovered.  Had implant placed in lower jaw in April 2011 and had implant removed last week after similar problems as expressed by KitKat22 on this forum.  Had oral surgeon show me implant after removal and bottom half (of a normall pewter colored implant) was black.  This suggests my body was rejecting something.

Having good/bad days - but it's only been a week.  Had bio-energetic testing performed which showed high on metals so I'm on a homeopathic detox which DOM said could take a couple of months for any positive results.

Wish everyone good thoughts with their decision process to have implant removed.
Thanks for stating it plainly.  Titanium and nickel are toxic elements.  Yes.  It is crazy that the medical profession is ignoring this plain and simple fact.  Advancements in science apparently do not always correlate with common sense.  Why exactly would you take potentially toxic elements and install them into the body?  What is worse is that the people who manifest symptoms after installing dental implants are ignored or denied.

Thanks for your support.

I hope by next Wednesday I am minus an implant and can start the healing, especially in the sinus where it never should have been in the first place.  

Hello is Serbin,

I have not commented in a long time.  It has been a year since I had my implants out.
Luckily, I noticed the problem immediately after my one implant was put into my jaw.
The dentist did a beautiful job inserting it and all went well.  Except I noticed over the
next few weeks my joints and nerves in my body were hurting and aching and in the morning
it was getting more and more difficult getting out of bed.  

although everyone kept saying "no, this can't be the implant"  I knew right away something was
wrong and getting worse.  Found the right dentist who felt this was always a possiblilty and
had lots of experience removing implants.

Bottom line, he took it out in a total of 40 minutes, sign in and walking out of office.  I felt better
and better each day.  Best thing I ever did.

I found out right after the post was put in and I started feeling bad that it had titanium in it.
Shocked to find this out because I am allergic to titanium dioxide in medicine.

So if you had a titanium post put in and are feeling bad within two weeks of implant........
GET IT OUT.  Your pain and suffering will only get worse with time.  If you are thinking of
getting an implant DO NOT GET ONE.  Make sure you are well informed beford you decide
to have one implanted.  When they work, they are fabulous.  When they cause problems and
reactions, then they are your worse nightmare.

Wishing everyone peace of mind and a relaxed, pain free body,
Serbin
Veronica,
You called me at home, but never left me your return phone number.
I will gladly answer any questions you have.  Just call me back.
If you need my number again, just look back in the long list of messages and you will find it listed.
Look forward to hearing from you.

Maryann
.Hello,

First of all thank you ALL for positing here and for making your troubles regarding the titanium side effects heard. It takes time and courage for one to share these info and be kind enough to warn other people about the possible side effects of a titanium dental implant.

My question is: Do you know if a zirconium implant will be a better choice versus a Titanium implant or the damage of an implant is bad....period...no matter what material is it made of?

I am asking because I am researching this subject for months now and I KNOW, in Europe now (I was born there but had been living in North America for many many years) dentists use more and more the zirconium implants.

My main problem is making this decision of having...or not the titanium dental implants put in this December. I have already gotten my bone graft operation (done in E. Europe, by a great team of surgeons, the cost is a quarter of what would have cost me here). Now, I am healing from the bone grafting operation and I must go back for the titanium implants. The problem is...I MUST GET 11 (ELEVEN) IMPLANTS and I am absolutely torn if I should do it or not. I have just turned 35 years old and I have a small child to care for nd I dont want to have beautiful teeth at the expense of my...good health.

I tried to ease my doubts with a MELISA test but it takes forever to get in touch with someone there and this morning, after two months of trying in vain to get in touch with them, by phone or emails, I just made it to talk to someone over the phone and this lady-almost rudely-told me they do not have the MELISA test available in Canada, "try it in the USA" she said and then "bye"....she hang up the phone. I dont think I have time to research "someone in USA" who will order this test for me...or whatever the procedure is.

However, I am still debating whether should I get the 11 TITANIUM implants (they apparently are made by NOBEL Bio-Alpha I think is called and they are Titanium Grade 5-containing vanadium and aluminium beside titanium) or should I research a doctor who will use zirconium implants?? Or dental implants could cause severe side effects no matter what the material they are made of?

I am torn with this decision... I am still young, I used to model until not long ago, I have a very public life and I need to somehow solve these dental issues as I hate the thought of getting dentures at this age.

I have only the 6 front teeth and wisdom teeth REAL in my mouth, up and down on my jaw, everything else was covered by bridges which failed recently  because the teeth underneath supporting them went bad and they were extracted, I am now healing these as well. Hence the massive dental bone loss which I have hopefully managed to help by having these dental grafts already (and I might have to get also a sinus lifting).

If I am not getting implants, I cant get any bridges as they have no support at all and the dental bone will continue to dissapear. I am absolutely lost.

NOTE: During the bone grafting operation I was advised that I got two small titanium screws "to keep the new bone in place" (the grafts were autogene, my own chin bone mixed with 1.5 grams of...."other-artificial" bone). Anyway, its been a month since I have gotten the grafts and these two "small titanium screws" in my mouth and I am experiencing some weird rash like-bumpy skin looking on my lower sides of cheeks and neck. The grafts were done in my lower jaw-on both sides. I also experience sinus congestion (although I have always had it before also with the nickel/crom porcelain bridges) but this time I feel it stronger, I am congested and I am also bleeding a bit when trying to clear my nose. I am also more tired and I cant fall asleep easily. Now, its easy to say that I am tired caring and running around after my toddler but still...could these symptoms be a sign that I AM truly allergic to titanium already? I am soooo so lost....My legs and bones also are sore, but not so much more than before (I used to always get sore muscle and bones when the weather changes) so the "feeling" now is similar...Not sure what to think of.

Any advices or opinions would be greatly appreciate it. Thank you all very much for making your voices heard out there! I truly apologize for this long comment!

God bless you all and a great health I wish you all!
Just an update and some very important info.  I had my implant removed 8 months ago and most of my symptoms resolved, but I still have had chronic sinus problems.  My implant perforated my sinus cavity and I have learned that fully curing infection (treated for bacteria, fungus, yeast and mold) is near impossible after having an implant.  My Dr told me that as a result of the implant I have a smoldering infection (which can happen even if implant doesnt perf sinus as well as from root canals) that produces very powerful toxins, some that are carcinogenic.  He said that there is an infectious agent in implant and root canals that make people very ill (headaches, fatigue, sinus infections, immune dysfunction) that are often overlooked.

None of the treatments have cured my infection so my Dr is trying something very cutting edge.  Today he injected ozone into the space where the implant was, which should kill any type of infection.  It may take a few injections to fully clear it.  I will keep you posted on how this works.  
I just wrote a huge note and it didn't post as I think it was because I didn't sign in first.  So before I write another one I will just leave a small note and get back in a few days.

Sick past month, on Augmentin, Pepcid, Lasix.  Numerous symptoms similar to heavy metal /titanium toxiciy.  JUst found out from Pharmacist Augmentin and Pepcid has titanium in them, not lasix, those symptoms were different from the other 2.

Had CT Scan with dye (Barium sulfate). Juat looked it up and it is a heavy metal made with titanium (gives it the white color)  I stopped as much meds and milk, toothpaste with titanium in it and did better.  Most of my symptoms have disappeared until 1 month ago and got sick with a sinus infection and started with Aumentin and snowballed with symptoms.  NOw I realize these are the same symptoms I had with hevy metals and titanium implants.  So be careful of CT dye, never had a problem with it before, now it's a different story.  

Pharmacy will check for titanium in meds if MD writes TITANIUM FREE.

I got even better after switching from skin milk (titanium in it to make it white) to whole milk, changed toothpaste, and stopped using over the counter meds that have titanium in it.

Still feeling very ill, it's been only a few days since my CT Scan and stoppage of meds.  I ended up in the hospital and MD's took me off all meds and are restarting over.

Will get back soon.
\
hopefulinSJ:   my sinus problems started with a tooth infection and a root canal!!!!!!

blondiegirl:  Titanium testing is helpful if you have an allergy to it, it is not helpful if you are toxic like some of us are.   I would be very hesitant if I were you to get the implants.   I had mine out and now have a denture and I hate it, it will be a tough decision for you.  There are problems with Zirconium implants too.  Do more research.

Thanks everyone, this site is so helpful

Estring

3 class action suits now for Dupuy hip implants, transvaginal mesh and mesh used in hernia surgeries.  They all are made of titanium!

Will get back soon.

Estring
You are in a hard situation as losing bone in your jaw has some unsettling consequences for as far as the appearance is concerned.  Are you saying that you are already having some unexplained physical symptoms due to the surgery you have had so far?  I too had aching feet and knees as well as itching on the back and legs soon after the single titanium implant with sinus lift and bone graft.  At the time it did not occur to me there was a connection, but now you have to wonder.

I am the person (former curedsoon) who started this thread and still have the implant as they are much easier to install rather than extract.  Last week I traveled out of state to the surgeon who I thought would remove it and he didn't as he is concerned that I could end up in a worse situation than I am now as far as the sinus is concerned.  He referred me to an ENT for evaluation and now I will be getting another CT scan before anything can be done.  

If I had known all I know now I would NEVER get another titanium implant.  It is my opinion that people with a family history of autoimmune and allergy problems are better off without foreign objects put in their bodies.  Prior to the implant I had a long list of allergies and sensitivities which have increased after the implant surgery.  From what I have read metal implants are not biologically inert--do a google search on the electrochemical corrosion of metal implants and see what appears.  You can also go to terf info (one word) and read about the harmful microbes harbored in the area of dental implants and the connection to autoimmune disease.

As far as the alloy (titanium, vanadium, and aluminum), a study cited in the "Journal of Materials Science:  Materials in Medicine"13 (2002) where it is found that titanium may be found in peri-implantar tissues, and the aluminum leaked diffusely into the surrounding bone.  It is not a comforting thought to me that aluminum is leaking into tissues so close to my brain!
The study was authored in Italy.  Apparantly this was not breaking news to the implant industry in the U.S..

The sinus perforation is yet another injury that can occur with the implants in the upper jaw.  Most of the studies I can find on sinus perforations are concerned with the effect the perforation has on the osseointegration of the implant--not whether you end up with a chronic infection or a anatomic abnormality that leads to a chronic sinus infection.  My problems with the sinus did not manifest until 6 months after the implant surgery.  From what I understand the membrane may not have healed correctly and the irregular surface acted as a nidus for microbes.  I just finished two weeks of Azithromycin/ and Nystatin which had me feeling pretty good.  The ENT I consulted with indicated that this could be a long term problem with the sinus and that it could require surgical debridement from time to time.  So, because some hot-shot Dr. drilled through the sinus and jammed a big implant up there I could be dealing with this indefinitely.  NICE.  

If I did get an implant I would choose ceramic.  I would have a CT scan done before and make sure you go to a competent surgeon who will at least not drill into your sinus cavity before the implant is installed.  It is also my understanding that many surgeons abandon the procedure if the sinus is perforated and wait for it to heal before installing an implant.  I wish that would have been done in my case.  I would ask what the protocol is in the event the sinus is perforated.  I would also ask what materials are available and from which companies.  I would find out the reputation of the company manufacturing the implant and want to know where the implant is manufactured, as many companies have operations in Mexico and China.  I would ask if there are any prior patients who developed unexplained physical symptoms after implant surgery and what, if anything, was done to assist this person in regaining their health.  I think I already know the answer there, but I would ask the question.

You are lucky that at least you have this information and now will not blindly proceed as the others who have posted here on this topic.

Good luck and take care of your health.

---Several family members and friends were thinking good thoughts and praying for me last week.  It will be a testament to their prayers if my sinus can stay well without further medical intervention.  As for the other symptoms of aching and numbness, there has been no definite medical explanation.  It would be so nice to feel normal again!
Another question that would be good to know from a prospective surgeon would be the number of maxillary implants he/she has done relative to the number of sinus perforations.  Then, you can figure your odds of having a perforation.  In my case there was pre-existing sinusitis and the use of nasal steroids as well as the use of cpap therapy for sleeping.  Ask if you have any pre-existing conditions or health issues that could affect the healing of a perforation if one should occur.  It would be good to know if  there have been sinus perforations that have led to long term consequences for any previous patients.  

The implant manufactures should also be able to issue a patch of the materials used in their implants.  From what I have read there is some concern about the application of skin testing to the study of immune response to implants, but this is an option.

Have any of you heard of the leukocyte migration inhibition testing (LIF or MIF testing)?  I found it in the "Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery", March 2001, Metal Sensitivity in Patients with Orthopaedic Implants.  This is another method of testing for a delayed-type of hypersensitivity and it would be good to know where to get it done, as it would be a way to get insurance to pay for the cost of removing the hardware.
Another website that looks like it offers the lymphocyte transformation test is orthopedicanalysis on the web.  

A conebeam CT scan has less radiation than a traditional medical CT scan and you can have an oralmaxillofacial radiologist read the scan at the service I have used.  Where I live it costs $300.00 and ins. doesn't cover it.
I'm still sickly.  Don't know what is wrong with me.  Bottom line is don't implant anything into your body unless it has to be there.  For instance, a heart valve replacement.  Teeth?  Opt out.  There are other pretty options if you find the right doc.
The website of Supra Alloys, Inc., a leading distributor of titanium alloys in the U.S. reports that titanium is biocompatible, non-toxic, and not rejected by the body.  Yay!  Oh yeah, we must all be having a dream (nightmare)!
Last night there was an email notification of a post by an expert in metallurgy and prosthetics who posted on this forum, but the post isn't showing up on the site.  It would have been nice to know what this person has to say.  Did anyone else get the notification?
I had two dental implants placed on the each side of my mouth, upper jaw, on June 14. About 5 weeks later, all hell broke loose. My symptoms have been:

Sporadic lack of appetite and weight loss (10-12 lbs)
# brain fog/confusion (much worse in last 2 months)
# Weakness and fatigue, especially in the morning (much worse in last 2 months)
# numbness of face and scalp (much worse in last 2 months)
#sporadically tingling scalp (much worse in last 2 months)
Sporadic tingling in forearms, hands, feet (sometimes whole body feels numb)
#Tight, heavy feeling shoulders and neck (much worse in last 2 months)
#Numbness and soreness of legs (sporadically, sometimes tingling (much worse in last 2 months)
Feet feel hot sometimes, for no reason (noticed this is March of this year)
# Sporadic pain in arms and legs
#Sporadic chest pain (but, I do have chronic costochondritis)
#insomnia (much worse in last 2 months)
#Breathing trouble
#Severe anxiety and depression, to the point that of despairing I will ever recover) (much worse in last 2 months)
#Lethargic (much worse in last 2 months)
#Derealization (much worse in last 2 months)
#Sporadic tinnitus (ringing or rumbling, had some tinnitus for many years due to chronic ear infections as a child)
Dry mouth
Occasional tingling in shoulders and neck
#Light and sound sensitivities (much worse in last 2 months)
Sporadic burning sensation of skin from just being touched/scratched
#Sporadic cough and dry, irritated throat (much worse in last 2 months)
Feeling poisoned and  just not myself
#Sporadic balance issues (mild)
Hair began graying around age 20
No motivation or optimism, can barely get ready for work in the morning and force myself to do simple tasks
Fatigue (I’ve generally had a degree of fatugie for much of my adult life)
Sense of smell comes and goes (less acute at times)
Numb and/or tingling genitals
#Sporadic palpitations
#Elevated heart rate
#Muscle/nerve twitching

The symptoms marked by the # are symptoms I have had sporadically, prior to the surgery, due to having been on ativan (which I tapered off of and have been off of for 2. 5 years, after having been on it for a year and a half). These symptoms had pretty much subsided, however, prior to the dental surgery. I am planning on getting the Melisa test.

I would like to know what would need to be done if I do get the implants removed. If the implants are taken out, being that I had a sinus bump, what needs to happen to make sure that the hole left behind isn't a problem. Are cubic zirconium or porcelain implants a good alternative? Any insight is so welcome. The last 3 months have been pure hell, but, by the grace of God, I am still here and believe that one way or another, things are going to get better.
Curedsoon,
It looks like you live in my area. You mentioned a dentist in Glendale who deals with possible dental implant problems. I haven't been able to read back enough to find out if you have been to see him or if you have had your implants removed. But, I would like to hear about your experience. I have felt bad for 3 months. But, I don't know if it's the implants. I do plan to have the Melisa test. I would love to hear more about your experience and if you are feeling better. What I don't want is to rip out implants that are not a problem. But, if they are a problem, of course they need to go.
I read some of these posts, but not all. It has been 2 months and a week since my two implants were removed. My symptoms are getting better, but are still there. I have good and bad days/moments. I have been on hollistic detox and meds for almost 7 weeks. My # in heavy metals is going down to normal levels, but I am high in other chemicals and toxins still. My Hollistic doctor is great and is very confident that I will get 100% better soon. I am improving, but not as fast as I would like to. My main complaint is still my forehead and cheek pain. There are times when I barely feel it and then there are hugh flare-ups.
pax9608 - I read that you had similar side effects as me. What were yours, if you don't mind me asking? You are lucky that you only had your implant in for 5-6 months. You should make a full recovery very quickly esp with the detox you're doing. I had 2 implants for 4 years and knew something was off, but kept listening to the doctors instead of myself until it got to the point where I had to take them out. I haven't gotten worse and am slowly getting better. Let me know how you're doing. If you want to talk my # 352-516-8194. I know we will make a full recovery, but it's nice to think it will be very soon as opposed to months away.
Estring - I hope you are doing well now. You are in my prayers. I have stopped using products with titanium while I'm detoxing, but I'm sure it's still in some of the things I eat, etc. I've been trying to eat only organic foods, lotion, hair products, etc. I don't think I'm allergic to titanium, but from being exposed for so long from it my body has built up a sensitivity to it. I wore my david yurmon earrings the other night (always wore them before w/o problems) and my ears were on fire! I got my belly button pierced when I was 18 and had to take it out  a week later because I got a rash in my belly button and my stomach hurt. I had never had an allergy before so I didn't think about it. When I was tested for allergies nothing came up. Obviously, now I know that I'm allergic to metals when they are in my skin. I will never be able to put a metal in my body again. Anyway, I hope you are doing much better. You said your symptoms were almost completely gone until you were re-exposed to a large amount of titamium? Let me know how you're doing. God bless.
I am supposed to see my original oral surgeon on Thursday for follow up on the implants I had in June. I don't know what to say to him; "Have you heard of people having allergies to titanium?", "Have you ever had patients with an adverse reaction to implants?" Should I rattle off a few of my symptoms to get his attention? I do intend to let him know that the one implant is still sporadically painful, at times, that the right side of my tongue tingles, and some of the other symptoms. I'll leave out the psychological issues, because, for sure, he'll write me off as a "head case." I have contacted Dr. Vern Erwin in Glendale, CA and he wrote back to say he would like to do some blood tests. But, I have found some pretty negative reviews online for him. I found another holistic dentist in Glendale who seems to have good reviews (Sarkissian). I don't know where to start with all of this. I have asked my PCP to refer me to a neurologist, but, I'm not betting that a neurologist will recognize or believe I'm having a reaction to dental implants. Would my original oral surgeon remove the implants if I insist on it? Would this be a reliable way to have it done? I was told that the implants just screw in and out. It sounds like a simple enough  procedure. Should I insist on an xray to assess the state of my sinuses? I don't seem to be having a sinus issue, as of right now? What else needs to be done to insure proper healing and recovery after removal of an implant? I am not in any condition to travel around looking for a dentist to help me half way across the country. And, my brain fog makes research so difficult. I live in L.A., so, some good doctors should be here that can help. The dentist who did my implants has had tons of experience. So, maybe he can be the person to remove them. As I said, I don't know where to start. Some advice would be great.
Hi there.  I am the former curedsoon who started this thread, but now going by smileynow--I thought changing names would somehow speed the process.  As you are finding, it is much easier to have implants installed than removed.  I don't live in Southern California, but have heard from a dental lab technician in my area that Dr. Michael Keramati in Encino is a person who does cavitation surgery and removal of implants.  I talked to him myself on the phone and he was very nice.  The only problem is I don't know anyone who personally has had experience with him.  

I had my one titanium implant installed in June 2009 and still have the irritating piece of crap in my head!  Last month I traveled to Santa Rosa to an oral surgeon who I thought would remove it and he referred me to an ENT for a sinus evaluation.  Today I had another CT scan to confirm the irritation that I have told them has been going on since Dec. 2009.  I had to leave town because all I have got in Nevada is denial, denial, denial of any problem with the implant or my sinus.  Meanwhile I have been on & off antimicrobials for nearly two years.  Pending results of the CT scan, the implant WILL be coming out.   The M.D. I have been seeing has recommended a dentist in Mesa, AZ--Michael Margolis.  He is not an oral surgeon, but I am told he has removed implants and that he does oral surgery regularly and that people travel long distance all the time to see him.  I would rather go to California, as it is closer for travel.  It would be interesting to know if you have heard of anyone who has experience with Dr. Keramati.

We have many symptoms that are similar.  I feel sorry for you.  I have been to several neurologists myself.  With the kind of symptoms you are having they will try to dump you in the MS bin, being it is a diagnosis of exclusion.  The problem is no neurological exam, eye exam, or MRI supports that diagnosis in my case.  I wish I would have saved myself the irritation and money of visiting any of them.  I would not let them do a MRI with contrast (gadolinium), as it is a metal and it appears (DUH!) I have issue with metals in the body.  The allergies and sensitivities I had previous to the implant and multiplied since this implant.  If I can recover from this it will be a priority to warn others of the risks.  

Let me know if you find out anything about Dr. Keramati, and I will keep you posted on the removal and recovery process on my end. :)
So glad to hear you're doing better.  It's been about 4 weeks for me and like yourself, I have good and bad days.  The facial burning is the worst and is so unpredictable.  I'm also experiencing some body flushing (not as much since removal) that I was told was due to metal toxicity.

I am very interested in your detox protocol - when is a good time to call - I live in Florida?
Thanks for your response. I spoke yesterday to a neuropsychologist that I work with and she is going to talk to a neurologist that she works with about my case. A positive thing is that nothing we talked about leads her to believe I have MS. So, I have confidence that I won't just be relegated to that category. Are all MRI's the same? Is it possible to get an MRI without contrast if I request it? I certainly don't want any extra toxins thrown into my body.

I know next to nothing about this process of having an implant removed. The oral surgeon who did the implants has been doing this procedure since 1985 and has been an instructor at USC. I hope that would make him pretty adept at removing the implants, if that's the way it should go. http://www.pasadenadentalimplants.com/about/index.htm  What is the procedure that should happen when removing the implant? Is this cavitation necessary and why? I am nearly as wary of holistic dentists and naturopaths as I am of traditional doctors and dentists, now. I went to a naturopath who wanted to give me a homeopathic remedy made from arsenic. That was all I needed to know to put me off of that doctor, and make me very wary of other naturopaths. If I get my original oral surgeon to do the removal of the implants, what else needs to be done to insure proper healing and recovery? What happens with the holes left in my mouth? Is the option of a bridge a good one? Or, can I just leave the holes (though, the holes make it very difficult to chew properly)?

I know that I have a ton of questions, but, this whole subject is mind-boggling. If you don't mind, would you list some of the symptoms that we share? Your posts are very detailed and well-worded, so, it seems like the brain fog might not be as intense for you. My heart goes out to you and the long process it has become to get the implants removed.
Serbin,
Would you mind giving a quick read of my posts above and letting me know your thoughts? I am wondering what kind of procedure you had and what kind of dentist removed the implants. Was it a traditional dentist? Did you have the Melisa test? Any help or direction you can give with these questions would be so welcome. Thanks, so much, for any information you can share.

Nicole
lambyoung, you should give serbin a call, not sure she checks in too often but i believe her phone number is in one of her posts.  i called her the day before i was sched to have my extraction done by the surgeon who placed it and she urged me to cancel and go to her surgeon (we live close).  I am so glad i listened to her.  he is is MD as well as DDS, specializes in oral maxillofacial surgery, does a ton of jaw surgeries and extractions.  if you get the extraction done by the same surgeon who placed it my guess is that the surgeon does not do nearly enough extractions to make them an expert.  the other factor is that if when the implant is removed and something doesn't look right the surgeon who did the work may not be forthcoming with the information.  i have read boards like this for dentists where a surgeon writes that they have placed an implant and it perforated the patient's sinus cavity and the surgeon was asking for advice about what to do.  all the dentists who gave advice told him not to mention it to the patient, "nothing bad is likely to result anyway".  well maybe nothing bad right then and there however, a year or 2 later when the patient is suffering from chronic sinusitis is on all kinds of meds and nothing is helping it would be nice to know that your dental implant has perffed your sinus and making you sick but by then you are not even thinking about the implant and you spend the next few years ill, miserable playing Sherlock Holmes while the surgeon is sleeping like a baby and bank account getting fatter.  when i finally did figure it out my oral surgeon and dentist told me it was extremely unlikely that my implant was making me sick, and that they had never heard any complaints from any other patient.  
sorry to go off on a rant, i am having a really bad day healthwise.  anyway, it is important to also ask the surgeon about grafting.  my first surgeon was insisting that i needed a graft to close the hole in my sinus (ha, if there even was one since he was denying it) and if there was no hole he said I would need to fill the space left by the implant and i opted for using my own bone instead of something synthetic, bovine or cadaver.  Serbin urged me not to do it, so glad i listened.  turns out despite the insistence of my first surgeon, the second surgeon said that he was very hesitant to put anything else in there that could cause a problem.  he said that bone is living tissue and it would heal on its own which it did.  i had a cone beam ct scan a month after extraction to make sure the hole was closing. regular ct scans are not sensitive to pick up things like a perffed sinus.  the other thing i insisted on was an xray after the extraction to make sure there were no metal shards left behind.  the one thing that i wish i had done but i didnt know about was look into having the surgical site cleaned with ozone after the extraction.  the microbial infection in the jaw/sinus is what is making me sick right now. there is almost zero possibility that some germs are not going to get into your jaw with a root canal or dental implant.  once introduced they turn into anaerobes which are extremely difficult to kill off and make you very ill.  they produce powerful toxins, some of which are carcinogenic.  do a quick google search on root canals and breast cancer.  scary.  i think smileynow may know something about ozone?  

smileynow, did i ask you already about ozone treatments?  sorry i am so foggy lately.  my issue right now is the anaerobes making me sick but my dr hasnt found a way to kill them.  i had 2 ozone injections but i am feeling worse.  hard to say though because mycoplasma pneumonia is back. what kind of ozone treatments were you getting?  did it help?  thanks for the info
I had 4 upper implants removed in May after 5 months of them in with the same symptoms as you.   I did the whole routine like everyone else, visiting numerous doctors, etc.   They don't know anything at all about titanium or how it raveges your body.   The neurologist I saw told me my numbness and tingling was that I was a diabetic, I'm not!!!!

We are the ones who have been through it and have to teach them.  Only my ENT knew about titanium and what it can do.

I live in a major city on the east coast with supposedly the best hospitals.  They are clueless here completely!

I am presently suffering from the same symptoms from being given Barium Sulfate)  Cat Scan dye!!!  So far, it's been 2 weeks from hell.  So stay away from dyes.  This one had titanium in it.   So, not only did I get another heavy duty metal but it also contained titanium.   I think after the intial exposure to titanium, we become more suscepitble to anything with titanium in it.   I also had similar reaction with Augmentin.  Now my meds are titanium free.

I had my 4 implants out in about 30 min. by the oral surgeon, who was a DDS and MD.  She is the one that put them in.   I demanded they be removed,  She did see me failing the last few weeks.   I only had stitches and have not had any problem at all since I had them out.

Hope this helps.  
I had ozone injected into the extraction site when I had the tooth next to the implant removed (the one they said was the cause of the trouble).  It was great and my symptoms temporarily resolved, but with the implant and infected bone graft and sinus trouble left behind it was not long before symptoms returned.  I also did 3 weeks of IV ozone infusions along with UV blood irradiation to kill infection which helped with some symptoms but with the implant and infected bone graft you know I was not dealing with the root of the problem, so to speak.  Some dentists do not using the ozone therapy as it is not yet approved by the FDA.  The titanium implants are, however.  With what we all have been through the FDA approval is not a gold seal in my book, anyway.  I am not only still looking for a qualified surgeon to remove this piece of crap, but one who will remove the diseased tissue and administer appropriate anti-infective measures to restore health.  You don't have to worry about me going back to the yahoo who installed the implant, as I dumped him when he said it was either the tooth adjacent to the implant or I needed a psychiatrist.  Well, that tooth was extracted earlier this year and the trouble persists.  What do you think?  Obviously I am coherent in spite of dealing with this crap since 2009!

The last ENT I saw finally admitted to there likely being an infective component likely initiated by the implant/bone graft/sinus perforation.  Gee, you don't think??  I am still waiting for the report on the CT scan done yesterday.  He said it was likely I had some sort of pathology going on in the sinus before this procedure.  You know the *** who installed the implant knew I used nasal steroids, had multiple allergies, daily sinus irrigations. etc..  What did he think (NOT!) would be the result of a sinus perforation, and what, if any, steps did he take to avoid such a complication?  

I have been so dizzy the last few days I started with the antibiotics and antifungal drugs, as they are the only way I have found to get some relief.  Didn't you tell me you tested positive for Lyme, also?  The M.D. who is treating me now said I was showing positive for it on the bioenergetic testing.  We hardly have any tics where I live in Nevada.  The only time I remember being bit by a tic was when I was 7 yrs. old living in Connecticut.  Weird!  

It is too bad you are having a relapse.  The last time you wrote I thought the anti-infective measures were having a positive implact on you.  Aren't you the person who said you have Lyme?
Have you read about Neuralgia Induced Cavitational Osteonecrosis (NICO)?   I don't know if it could be a contributing factor, but one of the dentists I saw thought it was the cause of my issues.  I saw him about a year ago and I hesitated as what he wanted to do seemed so drastic, and I had heard that he is aggressive in his surgical technique.  He is also tempermental and paranoid as he is being harrassed by the dental board because NICO is not a politically correct diagnosis in mainstream dentistry.  This is because they would have to admit some of the standard practices in mainstream dentistry are causing touble for some people.  When I called him a few months ago he refused to take my case and told me he didn't want to hear my story.  

I am rather confused as to how to proceed. I am also possibly fairly Vit. B deficient, which can produce all of these symptoms. But, it seems like the thing to do if I get the implants removed, is to have the areas cleaned with ozone, and have the holes filled in with my own bone. Here is the info on one particular dentist that I saw, at one point, to have the procedure done. I didn't go with him because his prices were so high. But, his credentials are extensive:
http://www.paccoastcenter.com/mee/mee_stephens.html

Does this guy look reputable? I know, it's hard to tell. But, I just don't have much knowledge of how to sort this all out. Here is another option for a person who is both a surgeon/M.D. John Lytle, near the bottom of the page.
http://www.foothilldentalimplants.com/lts-surgeons.htm

This is another dentist who did my wisdom teeth extraction last year. He was very kind and sympathetic:
http://www.spoms.com/dr-stephen-goei-dds.html

Here's one last possibility:
http://www.glendaleoralsurgerycenter.com/patient-information/meet-the-doctor/

I will be seeing my original surgeon this morning, for follow up. I will mention my problems, for what it's worth, and see what response I get.

Thanks for all of your input. Nicole
Here is one more dentist, though, not an MD, he does use ozone:
http://www.pasadenalaserdentistry.com/our-team/
I just got back from visiting the surgeon who put my implants in. I told him about my experience of symptoms, though, gave him a very limited list, so that he wouldn't automatically write me off. The short list I gave him was pain and pressure at the site of one of the implants, tingling on the right side of the tongue, head pressure, and scalp tingling and numbness. He wasn't sure what to make of it. But, it didn't seem like he thought I was crazy. A few Xrays were taken, which showed nothing, he tested the stability of the implants, both were stable and integrated. He placed a healing cap over one of the implants. Only one of them had been capped before. A CAT scan was also taken so he could review the sinuses and look for infection in the area of the painful implant. I have a follow-up appointment next week.

I asked his assistant if it was a big deal to remove and implant that was a problem. She said it wasn't a problem, that it happens sometimes but that it wasn't a big deal. She said that the bone would grow back into the space. That was some new information because I thought that there would be a gaping hole in the area and that I would have to have a graft. I would like to avoid any additional materials being put in my mouth, even if it's my own bone. If the bone grows in, that is very good news. So, I will return next week, and, I have the above listed dentists/doctors to consult as back ups.

Oh, I asked him if it were possible that my sinuses were punctured. He said he would have to look at the CAT scan, but, that if they were, it's not a big deal, they puncture sinuses fairly often and it's not a problem. I question that. So, I know that if there is a sinus problem, I can't count on him to be a reliable source of information about that.

So, this is where things stand now . . . I was hoping the implants weren't integrated. So, I'll just have to go from here. Nicole
I have been where you are and learned a few things along the way.  First, there is no way to tell if the implant has completely osseointegrated until it is removed.  Mine had integrated everywhere except at the apex which had perffed my sinus.  This was only visible by the soft granulated tissue on the implant where there should have been bone.  The surgeon pointed this out to me after the extraction.  I felt lucky to have the info, it explained why my immune system was out of whack (bloodwork showed this) as my body had rejected it and was pumping inflammatory mediators into my body making me sick.

It is unlikely you will see a perforated sinus on a regular ct scan.  It is not sensitive enough.  You need a cone beam ct scan and most offices do not have them.  If your treating dr doesn't have one You have to go out of your way to find a dr who does them and then bring the report and films back to whomever is treating you.

As far as it not being a big deal that the implant may have perforated your sinus, it makes sense that the person responsible for that mistake is going to write it off as "not a big deal".  It is a big deal.  The standard of care should be that a patient receives a ct scan prior to placement of implant to make sure there is enough bone there so that the implant does not perf the sinus.  If there is not enough bone then the jaw is supposed to be built up with bone grafting.  The good surgeons do it that way.  Mine didn't.

Also, ct scan and MRI will not always show infection,  abscesses can show up but not all infections are abscesses.

The very experienced oral surgeon who did my extraction recommends avoiding bones grafts at all costs after a failed implant.  Even using your own bone for grafting material.  Your body can reject that also.  The bone should grow back as long as it is kept clean.

I hope you find a qualified surgeon.  I would see as many as you can and ask a lot of questions and then make your decision.
You are exactly right that the person who perforated the sinus will write it off as no "big deal".  You will also find the same opinion if you stay in town and talk to his or her buddies.  It is a big deal, especially if you have pre-existing sinus/nasal/allergy symptoms, and any surgeon worth his salt should know it.  I clearly stated on my health info. that I used nasal steroids for years (making the sinus membrane thinner), had many allergies, and was irrigating my sinuses 2x daily prior to the dimwit drilling into the sinus cavity.  Then, 6 months later I have symptoms of infection.  This is because it never healed correctly and/ or there is a reaction to the grafting material and/or implant.  Now we know it would be prudent to have a cone beam CT scan done prior to implants, especially for someone with preexisting conditions.  We found out the hard way!  Some of these guys are way too nonchalant about installing implants in anyone with the money to pay them!

Thank you for the information about avoiding the grafting material at all costs.  I appreciate knowing your oral surgeons' recommendation of avoiding the grafting material.  That is why I didn't have the surgery performed by the periodontist who wants to repair the defect with cadaver bone.  

Thank you for all the links to the oral surgeons.  What I have found is that even some of the most highly qualified surgeons are either misinformed or lack the nads to acknowledge what is happening to some as a result of the standard practices in dentistry. It would be great to find a competent surgeon with the knowledge and experience to cure these kinds of problems currently not acknowledged by my of their contemporaries.  

Lambyoung72, I'll keep you posted on what I find available in California.  The oral surgeon who removed the tooth adjacent to the implant for me is Dr. Jarvis in Santa Rosa, CA..  He uses ozone, but is uncertain about removing the implant as he feels it is primarily a sinus issue.  I may have to go elsewhere as I have asked him twice about removing it and the piece of crap is still lodged in my head.  
I received my dental implant in my lower right side first molar in late February, 2011. After approximately three or four weeks I started experiencing unusual symptoms of an allergic reaction.

This started as a few small bumps on my stomach area. Within another week I began experiencing a strange rash, starting on my right ankle, then spreading to my left knee. This rash/ hives grew more intense, moving to my groin area, inner thighs, and buttocks. I also experienced small itchy bumps along my waistline. Concerned that this could be some form of std, I saw a doctor and the Gay and Lesbian Center in Hollywood. I was given antihistamines, and cortisone cream.

I continued experiencing this rash for months, with varying intensity. It would seem to be clearing up, but before it did, would start up again.  After a few months I experienced a few other odd symptoms. I felt an odd stiffness in my thumb joints, and also a tenderness in the front of my right foot, just before the toes. I also felt a similare inflammation in my left should/ upper arm.

In September I experienced a tightening in my throat, and a dull pain in my gums. Also, my tongue was very tender on the sides. This went away after a few days. I also noticed a sensitivity of my tongue when brushing my teeth, almost a burning..

With no other explanation I began to suspect an allergic reaction to the implant. I looked up “titanium/implant allergy” on the internet. My symptoms matched what many others experienced; itchy rash, joint pain, strange sensations in the mouth. I’ve never had any kind of severe allergy, or rash/hives.

In late September I met with my dentist about having the implant removed. The rash had become more intense. He gave me an implant to tape to my ankle to check for an allergic reaction. Within two hours I had hives going up both sides of my torso, so I removed the implant from my ankle. The rash on my sides went away within a few hours.

24 hours before my appointment on Oct. 7,  I again taped the implant to my upper left ankle, to see if there would be a reaction. The next morning before my appointment  I removed the taped implant and noticed my skin had turned red underneath and started to blister slightly.

I had the implant removed that same morning. Upon removal of the implant my symptoms subsided. The burning in my tongue after brushing my teeth went away almost immediately. The itchy bumps on my scrotum started to subside after several months of not responding to antihistamines or creams. I’ve suffered no other joint pain, and the rash on my thighs, buttocks has lessened considerably, This is being written on the fifth day after removal of the implant.
Okay,
Here is one dentist who offers cone cat scans in Pasadena. The doctor is also a maxilosurgeon:
http://www.kimberlyebnerdds.com/oral-surgery-patient-information/x-rays-ct-scans.html

But, my dentist/oral surgeon does use the Cone cat scan. So, that is one thing that I won't need to scramble around to find. I had the Cone I-Cat  scan yesterday (I has one done, also, prior to the surgery) and I will meet with the doctor next week to see what he finds.
http://www.pasadenadentalimplants.com/icat/index.htm

I can also get the copy of the scan and take it to other dentists/surgeons to see what they see, if I get the impression that I'm not getting the full scoop from him, which, at this point, I may or may not get. He did seem concerned for my symptoms. But, I'm willing to bet he won't admit that anything I'm experiencing is from the implants.

Nicole
Hey, sorry just noticed your others posts, I am still really foggy.  Thanks for the info on ozone and UV.  I need to clear this mycoplasma and then will revisit that infection. (the mycoplasma is in my sinus as well as lungs).  I have never heard about NICO but will look into it, thanks for the info.  What your dentist did to you is really criminal considering you seem to be a walking contraindication for dental implant so close to the maxillary sinus.

It is so awesome that you found an MD who does bioenergetic testing, my has saved my life, literally.  Is that the dr who administered ozone and UV?  

Yes, you are correct, I have Lyme.  Diagnosed in April 2011 and cleared it after a few months of homeopathic treatments.  The thing that had the biggest impact I think is the KMT device I use every day.  I don't know how to explain it in detail but it delivers a micro current that is kind of like "shaking a tree".  The spirochete burrows and the micro current forces it out of hiding so the remedy can kill it.  It also is supposed to get the immune system to coexist, since you are never really cured.  Most people notice a huge improvement when they add the KMT treatments.  Lyme is pretty tricky.  I had it for 13 years and didn't know it, maybe you have had it all these years. I think my Dr follows a protocol by Dr Klinghadrt.  You can get more info here  http://www.betterhealthguy.com/joomla/images/stories/PDF/klinghardt%20-%20a%20unique%20healer.pdf

Overall, I have been doing a lot better.  Just the infection in the sinus/jaw from the root canal and implant giving me trouble, although the symptoms had gotten a lot better.  The lyme and mycoplasma can relapse but I am not so worried about those as I have cleared them before.  I am more worried about the anaerobic infection in my sinus/jaw whose toxins are linked to cancer.  

I hope you find a competent surgeon to do the extraction.  If not you can come out to Philly.  At least you will know you are in good hands.  
Sounds like you figured everything rather quickly and are moving on to better health.  Good for you.  I wish I would have connected the dots sooner--maybe my sinus wouldn't be such a pain right now.  Thanks for writing in.

It doesn't sound like you got much resistance from your surgeon, either.  It's great your surgeon gave you a sample of the implant material so readily.  My surgeon never offered a sample of the material to me.  He seemed to have an agenda of proving the implant was not the issue.  Not helpful!
I remember Serbin saying that Dr. ****** in PA did a good job of removing her hardware.  It sounds like you had a good experience as well.  I was trying to avoid the torture of air travel if possible, but at least we know he can get the job done.  

The Dr. I'm going to now didn't do the ozone & UV, but he does the bioenergetic testing.  I ended up going to him for a referral to an oral surgeon to take the implant out, and he referred me to the Dr. in AZ.  He told me to google Lee Cowden's Lyme Protocol, which I haven't.  He also gave me some Samento and Cumanda homeopathic meds for the Lyme, but I haven't done tried those, either.  

Last week I was so dizzy I had to start with the antibiotics again, as they really help.  Today I requested to look at the radiology report for the CT scan I had Tues. and the imaging center would not give it to me, as they said a Dr. has to request it for me and the Dr. who requested it is not in on Fridays.  Let's see.........I paid for it.........It's my body...........Hmmm, but I'm not entitled to see it?  It was a bad day.  The sinuses above my eyes ache, the tmjs have been causing a mega headache, and then dealing with the ridiculous rules of the imaging center.  
On Oct. the following post #1252386 started out like this.........I am an expert in metallury prosthetic care.  The scientific community is crazy, is corrupted by pharaceuticalcompanies.  All alloys are toxic when-

It would have been nice to hear what this person had to say.  Did they change their mind and delete their post?  Did someone else delete the post?  What happened?
Hey folks,
Just wanted to post as I've done lots and lots and lots of reading over the past couple years (son is autistic) and have traced it finally to the titanium dental implant in my mouth.

Titanium is a metal.  It is not harmless in your mouth (or rest of your body) as the med. community says it is.  Mercury, cadmium, lead, titanium - any metal in the body, particularly in the mouth, not only is unhealthy, but creates a "battery" in your mouth.  All that needs to be present for a battery charge is two metals, plus water (or ions).  Autoimmune disease is created in this process, because essentially .. well, here's a quote from the International Center for Nutritional Research: "Thio-ethers are "partial" antigens, haptens, and thus they also tend to combine with the normal proteins in the body, "denaturizing" them. Such denatured proteins become "non-self" agents, which the body must deal with as such. The production of antibodies adapted to the situation will be provoked, and they will home in on the target antigens wherever they are. The process of "auto-aggression" will be set in motion: self-destruction of agents alien to the organism. Extensive structural cellular damage will result and help create the environment for cancer."  
What this basically describes is how autoimmune reactions (your body attacking itself) come to be with mercury or other toxic metals in the body.

In my opinion, after much research and after doing a lot of detoxing with my son and him progressing when no one said he could, (plus with all my autoimmune issues), titanium isn't something to which we have an "allergy", traditionally, how we know it.  
Titanium is simply a toxic metal, which, along with mercury, lead, nickel and the many other metals some incredibly stupid or greedy people put in our mouths, should never ever ever be there.  Ever.  Just go to youtube and search 'mercury fillings'.  You'll find video showing how mercury 'smokes' and gives off toxic fumes .. even 30 years after being extracted out of someone's mouth.  I taste metal all the time, and especially around the area of my implant.

In addition, it is known that within root-canalled teeth (specifically in the tooth pulp) is a hotbed of bacteria that is 1,000 times more toxic that botulism.  This made me very sick (before my implant), especially when a dentist drilled a hole in mine and then it cracked.  I was getting severe  - unbearable, really - stomach pain.  Once the cracked tooth was extracted, it disappeared.

For those of you with metal in your mouth, get it out.

For those who have had it removed and are still suffering with symptoms, in my opinion, you must detox from the metal that's in your body.  Detox happens most through the urine and stool.  I've found Now Foods Candida Clear to be invaluable to me.
Also, I cut out gluten, and most dairy and soy from my diet.  Gluten is, essentially, glue and it holds everything in our bodies, making us constipated and preventing effective detoxification.  Usually, in these cases there is also a huge build up of yeast (candida) in the stomach, intestines, and also in the brain and all other organs. (this is systemic yeast)  It is actually parasitic.  Candida Clear works great.  I still have yet to find a totally gluten free probiotic that does not have maltodextrin in it.  (which has gluten)  For the best info. on how to avoid gluten, google celiac forum.  celiac.com forum is amazing for info on autoimmune diseases/conditions and good products vs. products that contain gluten.

You will feel loads better if you go gluten free. Just watch that you don't 'gluten' yourself and eating out is a royal pain.  You must always check to make sure they have a gluten-free menu.  Also, anything - abso. anythng including spices, flax oil, pills (especially tablets) foods,  - practically all processed foods, contain gluten.  I just started cooking a whole lot and making big batches of things.  Now Foods is, so far, the only responsible company I've found that labels all gluten and allergens.  Make sure to read the labels, though.  Some have soy..

I'm hoping once my implant is out and I've detoxed for several months, I will not need to go to as much extreme as to never eat gluten, but for now I must, because it makes me violently ill.  If you cut it out, you must stay with it, cause you're body will get stronger and then be stronger to attack itself (autoimmune attack) if you do, in fact, ingest gluten.  For me, though, there's no choice as I couldn't function and I have two small children to care for.

Best of luck to everyone.  God bless and if you ever want to email me:
***@****
i Haven't been on, I didn't see the post.  It would have been nice to hear the info.

I am guessing you were referring to Dr Carrasca at Upenn?  I guess we can't refer to specific dr's?  Anyway, I thought he was excellent.  I am going to the National Integrated Health Associates in DC next week.  Seeing environmental medicine specialist.  

Hope you had some luck finding a surgeon for the extraction?
Welcome and thanks so much for the valuable information.  Do you think you have entirely cleared the infection where your root canal was? How is your son doing?  
I have been doing a lot of reading about mold and apparently there is a genotype that makes people reactive to mold that is seen a lot in autism.  You may already be familiar with this?  Even if you are there is some really good info on a website.  If you google Pat Sullivan jigsaw health go to the blog that comes up.  They will delete the website if I post it here I think.  Well heck I will try, I'm not sure what they will delete.  Here is the link.  http://www.patsullivan.com/blog/autism/
once you are on the blog search for autism.
THanks again for sharing great info.  I started gluten free again.
Hi it is Serbin,
I have typed several long notes and they don't seem to be posting.
I have been hearing from people from all over the country that are having
problems as listed above.  

After having them removed, now I am getting calls from all those people
saying they once again feel human. I know all my old buddies on this site have been following things right along with me.....and this is great news.

When implants work, they are the best thing going and when you react
to them, they are a living hell as shown by all the people that are tired, sore, aching all over, exhausted, ringing in ears, headaches, etc.

Hey Smileynow, heard from Carol and she feels terrific.  Able to go back to her job 100%.  Travels, and works out everyday at the gym, once again.

How great is that news.  Took a while til it got out of her system.  But day by day and week by week, she got better.!!!

6102798499  
I met with my oral surgeon yesterday and let him know that my symptoms still persist. I stuck with a very short list because to include all of them is to risk not being taken seriously, at all. I asked about the possibility of titanium allergies/sensitivity and he said the the that evidence of that is anecdotal. But, he said that he would remove the implants for me and refund my money, if that was my choice. He said that the procedure is simple, that the implants can still be screwed out, even after 4 months of being there. We went over the Cone beam CAT scan and the sinuses were not punctured, he showed where there was still bone above the implant, no penetration into the sinuses. Thank God.

I have asked my PCP to help me get a Melisa test. But, I'm thinking I'm just going to get these nasty pieces of hardware out, Melisa test or none. I am praying to know the best way to take care of this and to have it done with the right person. I don't feel that it would be a bad choice to go with the surgeon who put them in. He is perfectly willing to take them out, if I choose to. He seems concerned for my symptoms, but, at a loss as to the cause. I asked if he had ever had a patient who had been allergic to titanium. He said that there was one person who thought this was the case. He removed the implants for her. Of course, she never gave him follow up information on how she did after that. But, I am glad to hear that he is willing to take them out.

I appreciate Estring's post that states that the symptoms were the same as mine. And, their implants were removed by the same dentist who put them in, a simple 30 procedure. I can't know all the variables and intricacies of bio-chemistry and medical in's and out's, all the what if's. Extring's story seems pretty cut and dry. Take the implants out and go from there. If recovery isn't fairly quick, then, look at other things. But, I don't feel like I need to chase after possible infections and microbes, until I find a reason to. My first step has to be to get the implants out.

That said, I intend to up my intake of Vit. C and begin using olive leaf extract to keep my immune system up and to head off any possible infection issues. Nicole
Serbin,
Could you let me know a good time to call and talk to you about your experience? I appreciate you being to helpful to all of us.

Nicole
I had my 4 implants out in May after 5 months of HELL.  The oral surgeon used a rachet to unscrew the implants.  I had 3-4 sutures, no antibiotics, just did saline rinses for 2 weeks.  It took 30 minutes, most of it was to wait for the novocaine to work.   It was a piece of cake!!  NO infections, nothing happened.

The best part was that night, the numbness and tingling and pain I had which started in my feet and went up to and included my groin area and some of the pain disappeared that night.  

In the morning, my feet were still numb though.  I was very debilitated the day before, I couldn't walk, I could only take a few steps, I had to use a cane, I was bent over, shuffled my feet, legs weak, so uncoordinated, I was tripping and falling, able to go up only 1 step with help.  By the end of the week I was walking without a cane.

The rest of my symptoms slowly disappeared over 3+ months except my toes are still numb (could be circulation)  I had severe muscle and joint pain, insomnia, I didn't sleep for 5 months, started sleeping a few hours longer weekly.   My 5 month old headache went away that night.

This whole journey cost me $13.000, the oral surgeon didn't charge for the removal.

Good luck with your choice and I hope you do as well as I did.
The best MD to see for the titanium problem is an Environmental/Occupational Health Specialist.  They deal with industry, metals and chemicals.  You can find them in major cities, they work with the Public Health Department.   They are few and far between.

I recently had my implants out 5 months ago, I had a Cat Scan with dye/contrast and had a severe reaction.  It has barium sulfate and titanium in it.  I developed a partial bowel obstruction along with some titanium like symptoms.   It is now 4 weeks and I am slowly starting to recover.

It appears I have developed a sensitivity to titanium products.  I never had a reaction from the dye before, I also had the same reaction from Augmentin, an antibiotic, which I didn't have any problems before the implant.

I did find a list of foods with titanium.  It is not a complete list but can be helpful to us.  It is the Codex Alimentarius, it is a list of all foods and the chemicals that are added.  To get this list:  Google GSFA, click on "online food additives index" and go to T for titanium, etc.   What is not on that list is skim milk, it is naturally blue, and they use titanium in many products to whiten them.   It is also used in sour cream, cottage cheese, cream cheese, toothpaste and the worst and most is used in sunscreen.  Also mostly used in vitamins, and OTC and prescription meds.   My primary changed all my meds for titanium free pills. Liquid meds don't use titanium, it is used to make everything look NICE and White.  Look under "other ingredients" on the box to see if it contains titanium, it is usually at the bottom of the list.

I hate to become a fanatic but I am getting away from processed foods and now drinking organic whole milk, and using Whole Foods cheeses, etc.

Hope this is helpful
I have a file still in my area of roots from a root canal and I'm having issues too. My dentist said it couldn't be the file
Of course.  

If you aren't being helped go to another dentist.  Good luck.
Somehow I missed your post on Oct. 12 where you mentioned you were gong to get an MRI.  I have had one and refused the Gadolinium contrast dye (to the disappointment of the neurologist) as it is a metal and I obviously have trouble with foreign substances and metal in my body.  I didn't need to go to medical school to figure it out either.  Just look above at Estrings' post and what happened to her.  I am glad I refused.  

I have symptoms of numbness and tingling in hands and feet as well as eye irritation in the eye above the implant.  All symptoms from the neck up completely disappear with the use of Azithromycin and Nyzoral (an antifungal).  Many months after the implant they figured the tooth adjacent to the implant was infected and so I did a retreat on a 25 year-old root canal in order to save the tooth.  In the end it needed to be extracted.  I feel like the grafting material and sinus is chronically infected and I feel sick and tired if I stop taking the antimicrobials.  Only the alternative M.D.s have listened to my symptoms and given me the drugs to alleviate my symptoms.  They think it needs to come out, but they aren't surgeons.  I have been examined by a rheumatologist, several neurologists, a neuro-opthamologist, and several ENTs who don't see any sign of disease.  So that is great news.  

The only person who could identify any type of pathology was a denstist who is also an osteopathic physician.  He thought I had neuralgia induced cavitational osteonecrosis (NICO), and wanted to remove the tooth which has since been extracted as well as the implant and surrounding bone.  It was early on, and I felt like he was being too extreme, so I didn't do it.  When I called him later he didn't want to take my case as he is in the process of retiring.  He is tempermental and a little paranoid as he is being harassed by the dental board for diagnosing and treating a condition not currently recognized by mainstreatm dentistry.  He wanted to do cavitation surgery on the entire area.  Maybe he was right, I don't know.  

To me the symptoms are also being caused by the titanium, as now that I have stopped with the titanium sunscreen every a.m. I don't have the itching on my back while I read the paper in the morning.  

It sounds like we are both on the West Coast. I am still searching for an oral surgeon to remove all this without adding bone grafting material.  I would like an oral surgeon who uses ozone.  It looks like quite a few dentists use ozone, but it is hard to find an oral surgeon who does.  

How are you doing?

Estring,
I am thankful for your post. It gives me some encouragement that I am making good choices in taking out the implants with the original surgeon. The surgeon who did my implants has been doing implants for 25 years, and, has been a professor of dentistry at USC. I know that isn't a perfect guarantee, but, I feel it is certainly a positive point. That you didn't need to take antibiotics is a good thing, too. I am very concerned about jacking up my stomach with antibiotics. I was on Pepcid AC for two years for a now resolved ulcer (yes, Pepcid AC has titanium in it, too ... another issue. But, I finished tapering off of Pepcid earlier this month. So, my body is hopefully clearing that junk out of my system, too.) My stomach is feeling really good, now. Thank God. So, I don't want to test that with antibiotics.
In a previous post you mentioned that your symptoms were the same as mine. This has been the most horrific, scary, miserable 13 weeks of my life. If you have had the depression, anxiety, brain fog, and all the other bizarre symptoms that I've had, my heart truly goes out to you. I've been pouring over my vitamins and products that are in my house to make sure that there is no titanium. My vitamins don't list them, thank God. My foundation, according to CoverGirl, may or may not contain titanium. It's the last ingredient on the list, so, if it does contain titanium, it wouldn't be a lot. When I am feeling a bit better, I plan to replace all of my make up with make up from Whole Foods. . . they should have some make up without titanium.

So, my plan is to get 2-3 other second opinions from oral surgeons to make sure that what my original oral surgeon is telling me sounds right to them, that the implants can simply be screwed out. My oral surgeon also said that he might need to do a couple of stitches as well. So, it sounds like what he is proposing is the same procedure that you had. He also said that he would refund the amount of the surgery and implant. Thankfully, the implant process never got as far as having the crowns made, so, no money was wasted there. Thanks for sharing your story with me. I feel like yours is pretty close to mine. So, it helps to have this information.
I have changed my mind, for the time being, on having an MRI. I don't think it's warranted. I plan on getting 2-3 second opinions from oral surgeons in the area and making sure that what my original surgeon tells me is correct. I don't feel uneasy with the thought of getting them out with the original surgeon. I know, some people choose to go another route. But, I feel that my original surgeon has a ton of experience in this area, and, should be a qualified person in this area. I have my before and after Cone Beam CT scans to show the other dentists I consult. So, that should also be helpful. All in all, if I had to have a bad dental implant experience, I picked the right dentist to have it with because he had the Cone Beam technology which is certainly a bonus.

I am very wary of naturpaths and holistic dentists, as much as I am wary of most traditional dentists and doctors. I believe that most doctors and dentists do want to help their patients. But, they are all trained in their specific medical worldview, so, they can only see things from that perspective. And, most doctors, regardless of their orientation are trained to push medications, whether pharmaceuticals, or, their favorite vitamins or herbs (usually, the ones they sell off of their own shelves. They don't send their patients over to The Vitamin Shoppe to pick up vitamins.)One naturpath that I saw wanted to give me a homeopathic remedy containing arsenic. That was enough for me to lose all trust in him. Another holistic dentist that I contacted regarding the implants, ended up having several reviews about doing unnecessary procedures. So, I feel like it's just a matter of doing the best you can to educate yourself and then praying you're making the right final decision. Thankfully, I have no sinus problems. My sinuses are fine and feel no different than they did before the surgery, no congestion, discharge, etc. I plan to hopefully have the implants out by the end of November, at latest.

I am sort of confused about the ozone thing, too. I don't know if it's safe because in my reading a few years ago regarding air cleaning machines, there were many warning about machines that produced ozone and that this was a dangerous thing. So, I don't know. I am sorry that you have chronically infected sinuses. That must be hard. The last sinus infection I had, that I remember was over 15 years ago. But, I remember feeling so bad and sick, feeling like my head was so heavy that it would pull me over.  I believe that my eye irritation is not really related to the implants. I have had dry eyes for several years now. I think that it's due to wearing contact lenses for so so many years, and, I just found out that I am rather Vit. A deficient, which, makes all of the mucous membranes dry. So, I've started taking more Vit. A to help with that. And, I'm considering wearing my contacts less.

Yes, I live in the L.A. area. I am thankful that there are a lot of good doctors and dentists right here in the town I live in that I can consult with. I will let every one know how things go as I progress.
I am interested in the mycoplasma being discussed on this forum. I have looked on the internet and it seems like there is some really different, varying information on it. Some, more traditional medical resources say that it's treated with a two week course of antibiotics:
http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders/infections/hic_ureaplasma_and_mycoplasma.aspx

Others say, it takes a 6 month to 2 year course of antibiotics. Others say the best course is natural regimens. Does anyone have good information on this? What is the natural regimen, what is used to eradicate it, and, how long does it take to get rid of it? Are there good reliable resources on the subject from doctors/clinics that aren't trying to push a product? What can be done to protect yourself from further infection? It's confusing to read the different materials because some sources say, it goes away on its own, no treatment needed, others, say, it has to be aggressively treated. Just wondering about this ...
I thought that this was an interesting resource for mycoplasma. Of course, this is a clinic with products and agendas to push. I have visited the local clinic twice and the doctor focused on my thyroid. The thyroid levels were normal then, and, I had them retested last week, and they're even better. But, it's interesting what they say about mycoplasma and the treatment. They reference using a cholesterol medication and mega doses of Vit. C with an alkaline diet. I looked at akaline diets and, basically, you can't eat anything.

I have been tested twice for mycoplasma. A month a half ago, my levels were:
377 (IgG/IgM abs), reference Positive >320
IgM Abs <770m, reference Negative <770, Low Positive 770-950

My test results from last week are:

338 IgG/IgM Abs
<770 IgM Abs

So, it looks like I have mycoplasma, that I'm not one of those people for whom it has gone away on it's own, though, the levels are going down. I know that my PCP will want to treat me with the typical 2 week course of antibiotics. I wonder if I should give that a try and then try other treatment if that doesn't work, or, just go for the natural treatment right away. And, I'm guessing my husband will need to be treated. After I recover, we are going to start a family. So, I'll want us both to be clear of this virus. It looks like the mycoplasma can be treated and eradicated in a few weeks, according to Dr. Holtorff, when treated.

My plan is to stick with getting the implants removed. Is it okay to go ahead with that and then address the mycoplasma? Or, do it simultaneously? How harsh is the mycoplasma treatment, I'm very sensitive to medications.
http://www.hormoneandlongevitycenter.com/cfidsfibromyalgia/#9

BTW, I've been tested for all of the neurotoxin related diseases and I'm negative on everything except the mycoplasma. Thank God!!

This can be because of the use of implants made of Grade 5 titnanium which are very cheaply available in the market. These are actually not pure titanium. These implants are made of ti alloy which is 6% Aluminium and 4% Vanadium.
Aluminium is notorious for its toxicity starting from mild allergy to Nervous disorders, and it should not be included in any thing that is food or drug. FDA approves this in a general category and there are lot of heated discussions going on related to this. But still FDA approves this. Most of the low cost implants made from Grade 5 Titanium is from Israel. May be this expains why they manage to get FDA approval...
Well thank you for this information.  When I started having trouble I asked the perio who installed my implant what the content was and he gave me a specification sheet that stated it is 6% aluminum, Fe Max 0.14, O Max0.13, Ti 90%, and Vanadium 4%.  Oh yes, now I see it is grade 5 titanium.  So that is a low grade of titanium compared to others on the market?  I did read an Italian study that found Aluminum leaked diffusely into surrounding tissues.  I guess not a problem in this country?  

If I had been offered a choice of course I would not want Aluminum near my brain.  I went to a professional known for doing good quality implant work, so I just assumed he would be using the highest quality of materials.  Another periodontist I consulted with also considered the BioOss used in my grafting procedure to be something of an inferior quality.  He said the stuff is "crap", and that he does not use it.  

How is it that they are not required to inform us of what materials are available before installing something permanent in our bodies?????

Lambyoung, I am also wary of the holistic practitioners who want to sell products.  At least with them we have a chance to research the ingredients on the bottle before we ingest it!  
Glad I found this place.
I have just decided to have two implants taken out. It has been almost 4 years since they were put in and I have had illness that mimics auto immune issues.
Luckiliy I have found 2 dentist to work with that have a high success rate.
I will have the titatium replaced with zirconium.  
Hopefully it was the titanium causing the autoimmune issues and not a foreign body reaction due to having something implanted in the bone.  From what I have read the zirconium sounds like it would be more biocompatible.  However, according to research done by Toxic Elements Research Foundation (terfinfo) ANYTHING implanted in the bone triggers an autoimmune response.  They also found more than a dozen types of anaerobic bacteria in bone grafts and metal implants voluntarily removed from people whose implants appeared healthy on x-rays.

If I am fortunate enough to find a talented surgeon to successfully remove this implant and allow the sinus to heal, I will be happy to restore my health without taking any added risks of implanting something into the bone.

Good luck in the removal process and hopefully the zirconium will agree with you.:)
Thank you for this info as it is good to know. The issue for me is one of the implants is a front tooth so I want it to look as good as possible. I will for sure bring this up with my new dentist that will be doing the work. They seem to be very in the know about these sort of things and have worked with many patients, removing and replacing the implants.
A bridge may be the best solution.
If they have removed many of the osseointegrated titanium implants and are somewhere in the Western U.S. I would be interested to know who they are, as I am planning to get mine removed.  If they are replacing the titanium implants with the zirconium perhaps they are more progressive than the dentists who do not recognize that metal implanted in the bone is causing health concerns for some people.

Thanks.
I am going to meet with the dentist this week. When I talked to him on the phone he refered me to the endodonist that replaces them. I met with him and he told me it would be no problem to take them out and replace with zirconium. Both dentists said they have done this many times with good results. I live in Southern Ca. I will keep you posted on what the dentist says and I will share with him what you shared with me.
What does osseointegrated titanium implants mean?
BTW when I spoke to the dentist on the phone he is a dentist that totally understands all of this. i feel blessed to have located him and he is in my town! I was prepared to go to Mexico if need be.
Osseointegrated implants are those that are anchored to the jaw bone.  From what I understand the bone grows around the titanium and it becomes part of the jaw bone.  This seems to be the only measure of "success" in the studies.  

Weird body symptoms, increased sensitivity to other products containing titanium, sinus inflammation in the maxillary sinus above an implant, burning mouth syndrome, numb feet, itching back,etc..--apparently these don't matter.  If the implant integrates with the bone (never mind that your bone has been tricked), you are a "success".  Congratulations.

It sounds unusual for an endodontist to be placing implants.  I had mine placed by a periodontist.  Usually oral surgeons and periodontists are the most familiar with surgical procedures involving the bone, so this would make sense.  I guess there are general dentists who can take a course and learn how to perform implant surgery, but it would seem safer to trust an oral surgeon or periodontist for such procedures.  Oh, and listen to me.  Look at where I am.  LOL!
Too bad you are not on the east coast.  I went to National Integrated Health Associates in DC last week and was really impressed with the two dentists I met with.  They are using mostly ceramic for implants there but will test patients first for sensitivities before doing any dental work.

I was impressed wit the MD I met with as well.  Seems like the ozone injections I had killed the infection in my jaw, just took a while for me to bounce back.  My MD here has been ordering ozone saunas and putting the gas directly in my ears, which has really helped clear my sinuses.  I am feeling better than I have in a long time.

What cities are you close to?  I follow up with the dentist at NIHA on Nov 7 and will ask him if he refers to anyone on the west coast.
That is great news you are doing so well.  I am hoping to get some ozone treatments as well in order to avert having any sinus surgery or major debridement of the jaw bone.  Oral surgeons who use ozone are a rarity, I am finding.  The one I did find did not want to remove the implant as he feels I may end up with a fistula.

There is a website called osseo news, (put the word together) for clinicians who perform implant surgery.  From what I have been reading it would seem someone like me who, prior to the surgery, was irrigating the sinuses 2x daily and using nasal steroids for chronic sinus and allergy symptoms would not be a person you would perform a sinus lift on.  Most certainly perforating the sinus in this situation would result in a problem, either immediate or delayed.  I have seen soooo many ENTs, oral surgeons, 2 periodontists.  All the dentists stick together and say "well, it is a common occurance to perforate the sinus with such procedures (indicating it is no big deal)".  Why is it I have to find this stuff out myself?  I should have never had the implant in the first place!

The largest cities closest to me would be Sacramento, CA and San Fransisco.  

Ozone saunas?  I didn't think you could breathe ozone?  That is interesting about putting it in your ears--I guess it just infiltrates every where?  So you had the surgery to remove the implant in Pennsylvania and now are seeing these integrative dentists in DC who are administering the ozone injections to the jaw.  If I remember, you had a sinus perforation as well?  Was your implant perforating the sinus when the Dr. in PA removed it?  Do you mind telling me how long ago you had it removed?

That will be great if you can ask your dentists about someone in the Western U.S..  

Thanks.:)

I meet with the dentist tomorrow. From what I gather the endodonist works with him and they do test all materials before putting them in your mouth. They have done this many times. We'll see.
Like you I say what do i know, look where I am now? There are not alot of options out there.I will keep you all posted. I am certain that my implants have bonded with the bone. The endo said he will contact the pero that put them in and can get the right tool to take it out. I know the pero that put them in thinks i am nuts. They really do not understand. I have found two dentist that have been doing this a while and seem to get it. It is such a big decision. I think my long term plan is to have a metal free mouth then possibly detox from any metal poisioning in my body. (had all my mercury filling removed 6 years ago, which was a nightmare, a whole other story)
Glad for the support here.
I am thinking and praying about the timing of having my implants out. I am thinking that next week might be the time I have it done. Every day and week that I wait, the more time that is going by, allowing the implants to bond with the bone. At this point, I have been assured (by my original oral surgeon and another maxillo doctor) that the implant can be screwed out. Right now, the implants have only been in for about 4.5 weeks. So, I don't want to wait much longer. I am looking into having one more second opinion and then would like to go ahead with the removal.

My doctor (PCP) and the maxillo surgeon that I consulted for a second opinion say that there should be no issue with the mycoplasma in removing the implants. Actually, I feel that I may be getting over the mycoplasma, my energy seems to be improving. So, I am thankful for that. I plan on using a humidifier to breath in sea salt water and hydrate my lungs. That might be an additional help in ridding my body from bacteria.

I am also wondering about the best option for replacing the implants, meaning, is a bridge an option? I don't want any more metal in my mouth, but, I do want to be able to chew. So, any thoughts are very welcome.

Nicole
I just wanted to check and see how you are doing. Are your symptoms beginning to subside after your augmentin/CAT scan issues? Hoping that you're feeling better.

Nicole
I didn't have a cone beam ct scan until after the extraction so the oral surgeon who removed it did not know if the implant had perffed my sinus until after he removed it.  He said that if there was communication between the mouth and sinus after he removed the implant, meaning a hole in my sinus, he would use tiny amount of cotton to close it, not really a true patch, just enough to stop the communication until my body healed the hole.  He was adamant about not using another foreign substance to patch the hole.

I had the implant removed at Upenn 10 months ago.  My MD close to my home is administering ozone, new treatment for him in the last month or so.  I went to DC for a second opinion regarding his ozone protocol as they do a lot of ozone there and have been doing it for quite a while.  I am very comfortable with my treatment plan and it is helping a lot.

The ozone has apparently cleared the infection and now I am using it to boost my immune system so I can fully recover.  My immune system took a big hit, tests show I am not making antibodies to fight off things like the flu, bronchitis and pneumonia.  The ozone works wonders for immune system and chronic fatigue.  

You are right about the hazard of inhaling pure ozone.  Very bad for the lungs, esp for people with asthma or other respiratory problems.  The sauna is actually a cabinet that you step into, sit down and shut the door.  There is a cut out for your head so it is not inside the cabinet.  The last time I had a sauna, under the drs guidance I inhaled some of the ozone steam, which is not pure ozone gas.  It helped clear my sinus.  I think the ozone in my ears helped sinuses even better.  I have also used ozonated olive oil directly in my sinuses.  You can purchase that on the internet.  The ozone is the one thing that is making a positive difference for me. The literature that I came across about the hazards of ozone refer to use of the pure gas in the environment, usually to kill off mold, which is a hazard for the lungs.  I have not been exposed to pure gas ozone in my lungs and like I said, after years of suffering this is the only thing that gives me relief and promises a cure.

I hope you have good luck with avoiding any sinus surgery.  I know you don't want to have the jaw bone debrided, I am pretty sure the dentists in DC told me that in some cases it is necessary.  They said an infection can clear after 1-3 ozone infections.  I guess if it doesn't clear after 3 they would consider debridement.  I was lucky, mine took 2.  I really hope that yours clear with just ozone.  

I am going to throw something else out at you, since our cases seem similar.  The dentist in DC said that my tongue was showing signs of a sleep disorder (dents on the sides) like something was going on with my jaw.  I was impressed as I had not mentioned that I had TMJ and that I was not sleeping well at all.  He picked right up on something I don't even mention to people.  He sent me for a sleep study which I did last weekend.  His theory is that whatever is going on with my jaw and the fact that I already have sinus issues may be obstructing my airway and my sleep.  Without adequate oxygen and REM sleep my body has not been able to completely heal.  Sounded really kooky to me, totally out of left field but now that I have had time to think about it he may be right.  I get the results on Monday.  Imagine, this whole thing could be fixed with an appliance to wear at night!  He doesn't use cpap machines and can get people off of them.  

I will ask him about drs in your area.  I can't wait for you to get that thing out of your head.
When you had the implant removed, did your doctor actually place the cotton patch in the implant site? Does the cotton dissolve or did it have to be removed later on? I'm just wondering. The Cone Beam CT scan that I had about 2 weeks ago doesn't show a perforation of my sinuses. But, if when I have the implants removed, if a hole is discovered, it would probably be a good idea to have something in between the two areas while my sinus membrane reforms.

Nicole
yes, he used a tiny amount of what he described to be a "cotton-like substance" maybe it was actually cotton, I can't remember.  He didn't want to do a graft because my immune system was already in overdrive. Whatever he used dissolved within a few days, I didn't even know it was there.  

If your implant did perf your sinus you will get other instructions like to avoid blowing your nose, don't use a straw, things like that.  It really was not a big deal at all and I was glad to avoid a graft
Thanks for this information. Yes, my surgeon has let me know that the bone will grown back and no bone grafts will be done. That is a load off of my mind that it won't even be considered in removing the implants. As of right now, I plan to have the implants removed this Saturday. I will definitely talk to the surgeon about the "cotton" patch in case there is any perforation. As things are now, there seems to be no perforation. But, in consulting another oral surgeon for a second opinion about the removal of the implants, I was told that the sinus membrane might stick to the implant on the way out, as it's being removed. So, it's good to have this back up plan, that that case.
It will be great if you can start to feel better after this Saturday!  Is this is a different surgeon other than who intalled your implants, or have you found another surgeon to remove them?  I also can't remember if you had bone grafting and a sinus lift done when your two implants were installed?  Now that is a scary thought of having the membrane stick to the implant.  Let's hope not.  

I am still living with my one implant and looking for a surgeon who can remove the implant and bone graft, but somehow render the area good for healing.  I am set to have a phone consultation this Thurs. with a Dr. in AZ. so I will let you know how that goes.  If your surgeon at USC removes many osseointegrated implants I would it would be great if you can tell me his name--CA is much closer than AZ for me.  It sounds like he is going to do everything possible to avoid adding grafting material to your jaw.  In my case the implant is replacing a first molar in the upper jaw.  It sounds like you have an implant on each side of your upper jaw.  From what I've read the upper first molar is commonly implicated in sinus perforations, so that partly explains my predicament.

I will be thinking good thoughts for you!

Did you get the results of your sleep study?  

Unfortunately one more thing we have in common.  From what I understand the dental appliance (mandibular advancement device) only works for mild to moderate sleep apnea.  I have tried several and right now am using a Herbst dental appliance, which is the best out of the three I have tried.  One was a molded plastic device that held your jaw in one place all night.  It was terrible as far as making my jaw sore and also sometimes my teeth would slip out of it.  Another appliance I tried was the Somnomed--a pink adjustable appliance with long prongs that look like fangs.  Hideous and too bulky if you end up trying a cpap mask ontop of it.  The herbst is adjustable and not too bulky.  I went to a dentist who specializes in TMJ and sleep dentistry.  He did a great job and I don't know if another dentist without his expertise would have done such a good job.  I originally went to him for TMJ trouble and he told me the reason my jaw hurt was because I was clenching my jaw all night because of not getting enough air.  He is the one who insisted on me getting a sleep study--and he was right about the apnea, which was severe.  The TMJ disappeared when the apnea was addressed.  The only bad news is that chronic nasal congestion renders cpap therapy ineffective.  Nasal congestion is detrimental to anyones' sleep, whether they have apnea or not.  It is the one good thing in this whole odyssey I have found --using antimicrobials clears my nose completely.  I know this is not a way most people want to live, but right now the sleep is great.

How is your sinus since the implant removal?  I have been reading that the bovine bone grafting material used in my case is not favored by some doctors because they consider it to be allergenic.  Oh yeah, just what we need shoved up under the sinus!  I cannot believe I paid for this crap!!

Thanks for checking on me. I am praying that I will feel much better after the removal, too. Right now, it's hard to know if I'm feeling so badly because of the implants or because of the mycoplasma that I have. Many people can just fight off mycoplasma on their own, it's a weird sort of bacteria. So, I don't know what is making me feel this way. It's a process of elimination for us, and, a whole lot of prayer and leaning on our faith.

The surgeon who is removing the implant is the surgeon who installed them, he is also the USC professor. I didn't, thankfully, have bone grafting. I did have a sinus bump, which is a kind of modified sinus lift. My two implants are one on each side of the upper jaw, one is the first molar and the other is a second premolar. In looking over my post-op Cone Beam CT scan, the surgeon said that the sinus isn't perforated. But, I will bring that up again this Saturday to make sure that this is reconfirmed.

I believe that my surgeon does remove osseointegrated implants because I asked what the procedure would be if the implant doesn't screw out easily and they told me about the tool that is used to cut the implant out. Even the dental assistants were familiar with it. So, they seem knowledgeable about it. I will be having another thorough conversation with the surgeon prior to the removal. I'll make sure to address the sinus sticking to the implant issue, as well as the patching that hopefulinSJ described in her post. My husband and mother in law are going to be with me, so, we'll make sure that we're all hearing and understanding the same thing.

I hope that your phone consultation goes well.
Update: Met with the dentist here, right in my town, who has alot of experience and knowledge with this. I am going to have my two implants removed ASAP. I will let you all know what happens. i expect the best! :)
Smilelynow I read about your experience with neuroligist and the MS thing. My experieice as well.
Still strongly considering the zirconium as this is a front tooth. If it was a back one I would skip it. My new dentist is the dentist to a popular health professinal that is a purest and he is having a zirconium implant done by my dentist. So that gives me some reassurence.
I am still very nervous about this and it is a very big deal.But I am certain I have NO choice but to remove them or just get sicker. Thanks for the support here.
Sorry for the lapse.  My new dr at NIHA has ordered some new tests so I am running around again.  I asked about a referral to someone in your area and he recommended a phone consult so he could steer you in the right direction.  if you google national integrated health associates in dc you can get the number. his name is Lowell Weiner but if they delete his name there are only three dentists there and when you explain your case they will hook you up with him, he is the expert on these matters.

i am really impressed with his knowledge.  he totally understands how the implant wrecked my health and he knows how to fix it.  i will try to paraphrase what he said about my case.  i likely have some metal allergy  or toxicity (all my tests are pending at this point except for sleep study) but the thing that really made me sick was that i had 7 underlying infections (lyme, mycoplasma, c. pneumonia , mold in sinus to name a few) probably for years before i had the implant and i was living fine.  immune system working and i didn't know about the infections.  then i had the implant placed and whammo, sick as a dog.  apparently the metal made the environment in my body very acidic and then all the microbes had a feeding frenzy.  i felt better after the implant was removed but have been still pretty ill these last 10 months because the infections were still active.  

so for the past 6 months my dr here has done a good job of killing off the infections, the toughest of all was the one in my jaw/sinus from where the implant provided a very fertile breeding ground (as you so astutely diagnosed as NICO from across the country while 12 drs i had seen and asked previously just basically ignored the question).  2 ozone injections did the trick (after a two week herxheimer reaction from hell) and now it seems the toxins that are left over are causing adrenal fatigue and continuing to suppress my immune system.

so now i have been getting ozone saunas and insufflation from my dr here and it is really helping.  the ozone detoxes the body and also boosts immune function.  i really feel like i am turning a corner.

my sleep study came back negative for apnea but abnormal in that I had almost 100 micro-arousals and spent double the amount of normal time in REM.  I had no idea such a thing was possible however, learned that when you are sleep deprived REM rebound happens and you can go right into REM wake up and go right back into REM again the next minute.  No wonder i am so exhausted, the nightmares are so ridiculous they really can't be considered nightmares.  I am going for a day time study next week to try to find out more.  Can't wait till i can sleep again.

DId you have your phone consult with AZ yet?  
good luck with your extraction, i hope all goes well.

i also have mycoplasma and after many many rounds of antibiotics found that the homeopathic remedy my MD gave me works best.  i just finished my second round.  first one i had over the summer cleared it but it came back last month.  my igg subclasses 2 and 4 are depressed meaning the part of my immune system that makes antibodies against things like the flu, pneumonia, bronchitis doesnt work, so i am not surprised it came back.  My husband and daughter also had it and they both cleared it with just one round of the homeopathic remedy.  hope this helps
just wanted to let you know that the dentists at National Integrated Health Associates in Washington DC also use the zirconium implants, also known as ceramic.  zirconium is the most bio-compatable implant available  

good luck with your extraction.
Thanks for your encouragement and the information.

It looks like the levels of mycoplasma are going down. I have been taking a lot of natural supplements like olive leaf, echinacea, and oregano, with lots of vitamin C for the last 2 weeks (a holistic dentist informed me of the supplements to use). Also, the mycoplasma isn't acute, the levels I have are from a past infection, though, it's hard to say how recent it was. My IGM levels are negative.The levels of my IGG went from 377 in Sept. to 338 a month later. So, it's good that it started going down on its own (I didn't increase my Vit C and supplements until 2 weeks ago), in a month. My doctor will test me again next week to see what the levels are like to see where to go from there. We've been holding off on giving me antiobiotics because they can be so harsh. My doctor has studied mycoplasma very extensively. So, I trust her and her guidance with this. So far, things are going in the right direction.
I hope you are doing alright and that the surgery went smoothly for you.:)
Thank you for the information regarding Dr. Weiner.  I may be calling him for a consultation.  My phone consultation with the AZ Dr. was o.k., and he offers complementary treatments such as ozone and other anti-infectives.  He also has a cavitat machine for diagnosing cavitations, something I am very interested in.  From what I understand this device is highly accurate in diagnosing cavitations, but is not being actively marketed because of opposition from the ADA and also the cost involved with obtaining the device.  I am somewhat hesitant to have him remove the implant as he is not an oral surgeon and I am unclear about how many osseointegrated implants he has removed.  Other factors in my situation are the proximity to the sinus and having a thin, delicate (words of a periodontist) jaw bone.  Removing a large implant from that type of situation is worse than a small implant from a more substantial bone.  Why I have such a big implant is a mystery to me, but I do remember the Dr. asking the assistant for a certain size which was she said she didn't have.  Then, I remember him telling her to order more of that size and he went ahead and put the size they had in my jaw that day.  Anyway, the AZ guy doesn't seem too worried.  My past experience tells me this isn't always a good thing.  Sometimes a little caution is a good thing--it sure would have been in my case.  Another issue is that he wants to fill the defect with cadaver bone, and my allergist said my blood work was inconclusive, but that he thought it could be a "foreign body reaction".  For this reason I am hesitant to add anything else foreign.

Maybe Lambyoung will have good things to say about her surgeon.  It is not too hard to get to LA from where I am at.  

Do you mind telling me the remedies for your infections that have been working for you?  I have been taking antibiotics/antifungals for almost two years now for this stubborn infection.  I am thankful for the alternative practitioners who have helped me so far.  Someone I know has a husband (just one:))who has suffered with pain around implants for a long time and was told there was no reason for his symptoms--that it must be "in his head",(isn't that the truth!)  Well, he ended up in intensive care with a severe infection of unknown origin last year.  It's a mystery, isn't it?   Geeze!  He eventually recovered, but is still living with the implants, which, of course had nothing to do with the infection.  

Thanks for your support.:)

First time poster here.

I have been struggling with numbness around my LHS of my head, arm, leg and foot for about 6 weeks now. My doctor has thrown everything at it. I have had 2 MRI scans and were we heading down the Neurological path until the numbness started moving over also to the RHS.  The MRI both return a non specific results

In March this year I had two Titanium dental implants in my lower left jaw. Everything was fine until probably about 6-8 weeks ago when I started getting the numbness sensation around the LHS of my face and scalp and started predominately down the LHS of my limbs. It is a disconcerting feeling not debilitating and definitely not going away.

So I thought could there be an association between the implants and what I am experiencing and doing a Google search stumbled on the Medhelp website and this thread.

I have seen a number of posters with similar issues to mine.

What is the best tests I can have to confirm if I have an allergy to Titanium?

Assuming I test postive for an allergy what is the options to have the implants replaced with another material. I have nothing to bridge where the implants so I will need to replace them with an alternative. What are the best alternatives.

I know I am getting ahead of my self but given it is not confirmed but I see it as the most likely cause given what I have read here. I would like to be informed before my next doctor's appointment tomorrow so I can bring suggestions to the table.

Appreciate finding out what tests I should have and what options there would be to replace the Titanium implants.

The tread suggests that there are vanadium and aluminium .....I have also seen Zirconium mentioned. What would be the best alternative should they need replacing?

I appreciate your feedback.

Regards,

Fleetz
Fleetz---Zirconium is the best choice for a replacement implant.
If your dentist is not open to removing implants try to find one that is. My typical dentists did not listen to me when I shared my weird symproms that came up after 2 implants. Now 4 years later and symptoms that got worse, I am taking this into my own hands and getting them removed soon.  I have found a dentis and oral surgeopn that are in agreement with me.
I heard the Melissa test will test for allergies but will not show sensitivities. In other words you may not show for an allergy but the implants could still be causing you issue.
All the Best,
Terry    
Thanks for the feedback Terry. Good luck with your situation...

It sounds like you have a plan in place as I must do. I am seeing my Doctor today, I have pointed him to this thread on the forum as support of the association of my symptoms and the good possibility of Ti implant being the cause.

So my quest is likely to be find a dentist/oral surgeon that will take the Ti ones out and replace them with whatever is the best alternative.

Is it possible ti simply have them removed and replaced at the same time? I suspect that capping them might need time for the new implants to settle and allow possible wounds to heel. No problems there. It would be nice if the procedure to remove and replace the implants be done in the one sitting. I don't like the idea of having to gaping holes in my jaw.

It would be nice to know what is possible so I can contact dentist/oral surgeons before any appointment and know they are able to do what is needed.

Zirconium seems to be the recommend alternative however I have seen some posts where they can fracture and break. Is there any issues with what is being used now? Is there any issues known with them becoming toxic? I have also seen variying reports about how Zirconium sseointegrate.  

Are there any other options to Zirconium that I should consider? I see some dentists are using Ceramic implants so I would like to explore the options.

I appreciate any feedback to my questions..

Regards,

Fleetz
II know the answers too many of these questions as I have been researching and pondering non stop for the past 3 weeks!

First of all Zirconium seems to be the best and they generally do not break. They have been used in Europe for years and now in the US. My new dentist and surgeon have been using them for years with no problem. They are the most biocompatible to the body. The other materials you spoke of I would think are not even a consideration.
Now my concern is I have read that your body can react to anything implanted in the bone. So.....this is what I am doing and it will also answer your next question. The surgeon found out what kind of implants I have and has to order the correct tool to remove them, and then I will need a bone graft. That will settle for 3-4 months. In the meantime I will wear a "flipper" which is a fake tooth. Then they will put in the new implant, then a crown. It will take close to a year. Believe you me; I had several good cries over all of this. Not to mention 2500. Per tooth removal (including bone graft) then 5000.00 per tooth for implant and crown.
I figure that since I will be implant free for 3 months I can see how I feel then the implants will go in for another 4 months and if my body does not like it hopefully it will let me know before the crown goes on. If it were not a front tooth I would just get a bridge or go toothless. I may do that with the back tooth.
Despite all the hassle and money, I can say that good health is worth all the money in the world. I have not been debilitated but I have had health issues that mimic MS and auto immune since having the implants put in. I have done everything under the sun possible to regain health and NOTHING is working. Makes sense now if your body is continuously being poisoned and or fighting off a foreign substance.!  
Well, I should say that all I am doing for my health is keeping me in as good a shape as I am in.
Oh and get opinions before you have it done. I am sure some dentists would remove them and put a new implant in right away and charge less. My surgeon was telling me about this and it can be dangerous.I think the method involved heating up the bone to release the implant and he said that is not good at all!
I hope this information helps.
I ended up not having the implants removed on Saturday. My husband and mother-in-law went with me to the office so that they could be there to be some extra sets of ears for me and for moral support. I went down my list of concerns and questions. At one point, the dentist answered my question (I can't remember which one) by saying, "I don't know, we're in uncharted waters." So, that was enough for me to be ready to leave and find another surgeon. I don't know what he meant by being in uncharted water, whether he has never removed an implant or whether he had never removed an implant without replacing it with another implant (the latter seems to make more sense, but, I was sufficiently spooked that I have found another surgeon to remove the implants). So, I have an appointment for this Friday to have the implant removed by a maxillosurgeon whom I consulted for a second opinion regarding the implant removal. I will have to pay for the procedure of course, my original surgeon was going to remove them, free of charge and refund my money, after I signed a contract saying that I would seek no further damages (which, of course, I wouldn't).

I feel more at ease with this surgeon. He has a much better bedside manner than the original surgeon. He doesn't see that the implants could be an issue, but, he is willing to remove them for me. And, he doesn't become impatient with my when I ask lots of questions. That is always a good sign.

Fleetz, my heart goes out to you with the numbness issue. It certainly is a disconcerting feeling. Can I ask, what do "non-specific" results mean for an MRI? Does that mean that they could find nothing on the MRI?