titanium/vanadium/aluminum dental implant
Eleven months ago I had a titanium alloy dental implant along with a sinus lift and bovine bone graft.  The surgery was successful and the implant has since integrated with the bone.  One to two months after the surgery I started having cramps in the lower extremities that progressed to constant aching in the feet and knees.  Five months after the implant I elected to have the swine flu vaccination which resulted in a numb feeling and tingling in the extremities along with diarrhea and dizziness that subsided after a few days.  Since then the tingling has combined with the aching in the lower extremities and progressed upward to include the thighs.  Exercise makes all of the symptoms worse, as I experience severe aching and muscle twitching after any kind of physical activity.  A MRI of the brain and neck revealed increased areas of signal in the brain not consistent with ms.  Blood tests suggest autoimmune disfunction (positive ana, antithyroid antibodies, high IgG for parvovirus and EBV and CMV without being conclusive of connective tissue or thyroid disease.  A cone beam ct scan revealed an inflammatory process in the sinus above the implant and apical periodontal inflammation on the tooth behind the implant which was also giving me night fevers.  I have since had the root canal retreated on the tooth that was being blamed for my mouth discomfort.  This has resulted in a 100% improvement in the pain and feverish feeling emanating from THAT tooth, but I still have an strange irritating sensation emanating from the implant that extends to the cheek, nostril, and eye above the implant.  I have a feeling the implant is the cause of the mouth trouble and wondering if it is the cause of my neurological symptoms as well.  My physical activity has been reduced to a minimum compared to the level of physical activity previous to the surgery.  I wonder if the implant does not show the typical symptoms of rejection because of nightly bronchial and nasal steroid inhalations.  The implant looks good on scans and xrays.  I am not so good.  I am living a life of an inactive person because I have no tolerance for exercise.  I love to exercise and my dogs need a walk!!!  Today I went for a lower back MRI and had a hard time holding still because of feeling crampy and cold.

All of the docs say it is a coincidence that any of my problems started shortly after receiving the implant.  I have sent blood in for the Melisa test, but wonder if a reaction will show being I was not able to refrain from using inhalers for five days.  The implant has adhered to the bone and looks "perfect".  I am ready to get it out and praying I can return to my normal level of activity.  Is there anyone out there with some information that could help?

Am I the only one????  I don't think the ADA or the implant manufacturers want to investigate the possibility of this lucrative procedure being a problem for anyone, so it is hard to find any data supporting my suspicion.  

Thanks.
You all will not believe this one.
Was on my way to the Jersey shore yesterday.  Stopped to have a delicious
light lunch....salad, maryland crab soup and fresh bread.

Bit down on the crust on bread............broke off the tooth in the front of my mouth.
LEFTof my two front teeth.......Under the gum line...Cap, tooth everything off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The tooth I have been dealing with is the one to the RIGHT of my two front teeth!!

Luckily my dentist came off the golf course met me at 4 pm and I left his office at 7:15 PM

He is terrific....He operated on the gum removing it so we could get to the tooth....then filled a small cavity, then put in a post, then built it up, so that he could put a temporary
crown on it and did all this so that my partial would fit properly.

In six weeks (gum surgery will be healed) he wants me to see my periodontist just to
make sure the gum will look as good as it can...and then he will put a new crown on.

Ironically, this is exactly what happened to the right one and this procedure lasted for 2 years.  Since we are dealing both times with a tooth that has already had a root canal and is therefore, not a strong tooth.  Then the tooth cracked under the crown...and that is how I ended up with the implant.

My dentist did chuckle and say at first glance " well I guess we aren't going to have you go and have an implant in this one"   I almost laughed out loud, just from my nervousness!!!! :-)

All this and I was trying to keep my heart from beating out of my chest during the procedure.  

So for now, I have the partial to handle the first implant problem, since there is no cap on it
and a temporary cap is on the other tooth on the left.

Spoke with a girl in California who had no problem with implant going in.  But is miserable when the crown was put in.  Seems to be pressing on her two side teeth and the gum is
horribly irritated, bad blood under the cap coming out, etc..  Many dentists visits for her.  Makes me worry about even thinking of putting a cap on my implant even if it remains in my mouth.

Why can't we all be sharks and grow new teeth back in!!!!

Everyone keep your spirits up.  Somehow we will put all the pieces of this titanium
implant puzzle together.  We have to make it better for those that come after us.
But for now, we all would like some answers.

Remember, I do have a good surgeon here in Philadelphia, that does have a lot of experience removing them.
Please be very careful who you have remove your implant.

My periodonist, who did a great job putting it in.  Felt he could make things
worse by trying to remove it.  He is the one that sent me to University of Pennsylvania,
chief of staff dental surgery to research this further.  That is when I was sent to the
surgeon on his staff that has a lot of experience with this.

They could end up leaving slivers of the metal in your jaw.

I don't have the name of the surgeon it is downstairs but I can send it to you later if you would like.
Thank you for your concern.  It would be good to have the name of the surgeon who has experience with removing the implants, so please post when you have it.

You are certainly due for a turn on your luck with your dental issues.  I guess you will be praying every night that you can hang on to what you have, so as not to risk another implant.  It is hard to believe there isn't more knowledge and information out there for people who have trouble.  There must be more than just us.
Have your tried Lysine for your mouth sores?  I used to get horrible painful sores on my tongue, sometimes with fever.  Now I take Lysine several times a day if I feel one coming on, and I am no longer bothered with this problem.
I just read my post--please don't think I am minimizing your problem, as if you are just dealing with some little mouth sores!  The lysine may help, though.
Have any of you been told to get tested for trigeminal neuralgia or ms for your other symptoms?
Yes, I'm taking lysine 2x a day and staying away from SLS products and products containing titanium.  I am told if I remove what is causing the "allergy," I will no longer have symptoms.  I just cannot convince anyone to remove implants or crowns because there is no one particular tooth looking irate...more of a burning mouth/gum/tongue/throat issue.  Taking Zyrtec for allergy-related symptoms.
to curedsoon and all,

I know you are all taking about dental implants, and I am dealing with post-op plates, but I am assuming they are all Ti.  Well, I found more information from my procedure regarding removal....

From a University of California, San Francisco study:
Only a small number of patients (10.6%) develop complications from plates or screws that required their removal. In each case, prompt removal constituted adequate management.

They refer to only a small number (10.6%). In my opinion, thats not small.  1 out of 10 people having to go through another surgery is not small.  Those odds are pretty bad actually, since its very, very invasive.  

Anyway, just more proof people arent tolerating the Ti.  
To all,

This might be a significant find!

Have any of you heard of IAOMT??  I found this site and though there are a lot of links attached, I have yet to find any that deal specifically with Ti, as they seem more specific to mercury, though they might be a good resource to find a sympathetic oral surgeon who deals with Ti implants.

Their mission statement looks reputable-

The International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology (IAOMT) is an organization for that group of dentists, physicians, and allied researchers who consider biocompatibility to be their first concern, and who demand scientific evidence as their key criterion. Members of this group have, since 1984, examined, chronicled and supported research into the distinctions that can make dental practice more biologically acceptable.

On the right side of the home page is a menu for "Find a Doctor".  Maybe this might be a good starting point to contact a dentist who may refer an oral surgeon who is more open minded to the idea that Ti is causing immunologic reactions.
Hi.  So has it been concluded that you are suffering from an allergy?  You just need to find out what is causing the allergy?
Regarding the S.F. study--another issue is the definition of "complications."  I would bet this means an obvious and localized reaction or infection.  It is hard to find any recognition of systemic bodily reactions, like the ones you and I are having.

I would be interested in knowing if metal implants trigger autoimmune disease in susceptible individuals.  Where are the studies on this?  Spain?  It doesn't seem to be on the radar for mainstream medicine in the U.S..
The biopsy of my mouth is where it was discovered that I had an allergy to whatever it was I put in my mouth and once I take it out it would be cleared up.  However, the allergist said I was to hypersensitive at the moment for her to take any tests.  They would come out with false positives.  For some reason the oral surgeon flip flops and won't take anything out - i.e., crowns or dental lmplants.  He now wants to refer me to that UCLA study.  I'm frustrated as the dentists refer me back to medical and the medical doctors say it is dental.  No one wants to deal.  They all agree there is something very wrong inside my mouth and consider it out of their field.  I'm in limbo.  Blood tests for vitamin deficiencies today.  Mostly B, folic acid and zinc.  The dentist recommended I have that done.  Then we could go from there.  I'm a pawn.  I just re-read my history.  Before the dental implants = no symptoms.  After = all symptoms.  No study = no help.  They will chalk it up to autoimmune (though oral surgeon said that's not true) and keep me comfortable - pain killers and xanax.  I am not taking them.  The implant doctor when put in the implants was fine up and until the crown fell out - then he pushed will all his 185 plus weight down on the crowns - yes, it hurt a lot - when he reglued the crown back on....what if it was just that?  If I have the implants out - I also have a cleft palate - they say the palate could collapse (it is in writing) if they don't know what I'm allergic to - they don't know what to replace the space with.  They don't want to take them out.  
Hi all.  One thing is for certain--we are all in a quandary over what to do!  

Today I went back to the ENT who believes that the implant has something to do with many of my physical symptoms.  I am so thankful for him, as at least he is interested in helping to solve the puzzle and help me to regain my health.

He has referred me to an infectious disease specialist, as he believes that there may be an infectious process going that will not resolve by simply removing the implant.  I have been telling doctors and dentists for months that antibiotics resolve many of the symptoms, but to no avail.  It is so fantastic to have a smart doc able to help!  I will keep you all posted.

I still would like the name of an oral surgeon who has removed many of these osseointigrated implants, so post the name and # if any of you have one.

Thanks.
Oh you really are in a pickle, as it sounds like the hardware is holding up a good portion of your mouth.  The most I got from my allergist was that it was a "foreign body" reaction, but he did not want to go out on a limb and say it should be removed.  The ENT mentioned above likened the foreign body reaction to an infected sliver in your finger:  "Yes, the antibiotics with help you feel better, but ultimately you need to remove the sliver."  
I wonder if there is an allergist/immunologist somewhere who could help your system adapt to the implant material.  I can live without a tooth, but it sounds like you would be jeopardizing the stability of your jaw.  They can't expect you to go on like this!!

Keep us posted.
Do you all know what the below man made stuff is?  The dentist who put the implants in is willing to remove them.  Below is the note.
We can remove your implants and crowns, and do a bone graft after the implants are removed as well as the bridge. The bone graft material we can use for you is called Beta tri calcium phosphate. It is not human donor bone, but is man made.
My surgeon who has experience in taking these out.  Felt it would be best not to do any grafting for me, although my periodontist was suggesting it at first, since I am sensitive to the titanium and he is worried that I may show sensitivity to something else and doesn't want to complicate matters for me.

If it is necessary for the stability of your jaw, etc. then it's a different situation.

Have any of you known anyone who has taken out the titanium and known that their symptoms went away?  That's the big "what if" I can't answer personally yet.  But that is like "what if" I win the lottery.  All I know is that I had no symptoms until those went in.  I'm going to see if we can not add anything.  I think Serbin is right - if I can get away from adding anything - I should let the site heal and body.  I'll keep you posted.  
--So I was in my vetrinarians' office getting the dogs their vaccinations and telling him my woes.  He said "you don't want to put ANYTHING in your body unless you absolutely have to."  Thus, he has a bridge vs. implant in his mouth.  How I wish I would have talked to him before I had this implant.  HE (who graduated 2nd in his vet class) DOES NOT WANT ANYTHING IN HIS BODY.  

Jerandi--At the least, your doc should discuss the options for bone grafting and explain the risks and benefits of each.  I have heard that the autogenous graft, which is bone taken from your own body, has the least chance of rejection or foreign body reaction, but then you have a second incision or procedure.  I am not sure a dentist or oral surgeon can do it that kind of procedure.  I think you should research all of your options.

A co-worker of my husband (who has many allergies & sensitivities) developed a blood condition that resulted in the loss of his spleen after having a cadaver bone graft procedure on his hip.  He, with a masters' degree in a scientific field, is convinced having the operation triggered his condition, but the docs say no.  Of course.

Are you consulting with an oral surgeon who has experience in taking out implants?  I would like to see a surgeon who takes out implants on a regular basis.  The oral surgeon I consulted who has 30yrs. experience said he has only taken out "a few" osseointigrated implants over the years.  

Hi.  Would you be able to post the name & # of the doc who has experience removing osseointigrated implants?

Thanks!
Hi, All:

There is some interesting info. on dental implants at www.metronycdentist.com, click on Facts about the dental implant industry by Dr. Gulizio.  I thought the FDA approval of implants was required, but according to this website it is not so.