Allergy Community
yellow liquid from nose

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

yellow liquid from nose

I was knealing down earlier and a stream of yellow watery liquid came from my right nostril.  I'd say about 2 tablespoons of liquid is what ran out of my nose.  This was not mucus and I have not been sick at all lately.  About an hour later I bent over again and could feel it about to happen again and blew my nose right away, again it was a yellow liquid.  I have never experienced this before.  I tried researching on the net but no real luck yet.  I have not had any kind of head injury lately.  I do work in hot conditions though almost daily.  I work new construction in houses with no AC, with temps getting above 110 with the heat index.  This week I did get pretty hot 2 days in a row.  I have worked in these conditions before and it has never bothered me, but on these 2 particular days, my eyes at the end of the day burned a good bit.  Could the heat be hurting me in a way I am not aware of ?  Today was Saturday and I didn't work, so I didn't get hot at all.  Can someone please help me out here and point me in the right direction of what might be wrong.
All I can think of is an undiagnosed sinus infection that discharged real loose like that for an unknown reason. Any yellow or green or yellowish green discharge from the nose indicates infection. I have had sinus infections without even realizing it. Go to the Doc. Untreated sinus infections can really screw up your ears and sense of balance, leading to constant dizziness, nauseau etc. Not to mention the damage to your sinuses,i.e. loss of smell and taste. Hope this helps
I get sinus and bronchitus (bronchitis) infections all the time. Yellow means Sinus, Green means Bronchitus (bronchitis). Also, a sinus infection can easily turn into Bronchitus (bronchitis). I recommend going to the doctor and getting some medicine. Also, drink lots of water and get plenty of rest. Sinus infections are usually accompanied by headaches and some fatigue of various levels depending on how bad it is. And one other thing I would recommend (especially if you've got allergies or postnasal drip) is a sinus rinse. It's not medicated and therefore is safe to use with other medications. Neilmed makes a sinus rinse kit which can be purchased online at neilmed.com or at various stores/pharmacies. Although, if you do decide to try it, make sure you read the directions very carefully, and more than once before you start. It's also a bit weird feeling the first time, and you may have to do it twice before you start to really get the full effect, but I would definitely say it's worth while. But first, you should go to a doctor and see what they say, if nothing else then to confirm what's really going on.

I wish you all the best.
I have the yellow liquid, too!  For the first time this morning, it came dripping like water out of my right nostril!  I am just getting over an upper-respiratory thing... what happened was I caught something that was going around, here in Indiana, and my sinuses and ears got all blocked!  Then, as though it were ready to reproduce, it moved into my upper chest, and I was coughing it up all over the place.  That, though, was normal mucus and snot... This is totally different - WATERY and YELLOW AS A CRAYON!  It got onto my white business shirt, and I had to bleach it!  Could this just be the final-letting-loose of my infection from earlier?  Or is it something more serious coming on??
while draining like that does happen - even if you don't have any infection (that would be clear fluid) ...being that it is colored...concerns me.  If you are SURE there is no blood in the drainage - that is a good thing because a small amount of blood would possibly mean spinal/brain stem fluid...I would just go to the doctor and make sure you don't have the start of an infection going on...
The same thing has happened to me today and I was freaking out at first but will definetly be going to the doctor and hoping that it is only a sinus infection!
I have just had this happen tonight.  I have had sinus infection symptoms for about a week now.  I went to the doctor about 4 days ago and I was given allergy medication to treat what I was pretty sure was a sinus infection but the doctor said I had not had the symptoms for enough time.  I do not have blood coming out with my yellow nasal drip, but I do have blood in my other nostril and a bit in the left.  It is not dripping out but if I blow my nose there is a bit of blood.  The rest of my symptoms (cough, sore throat, stuffiness) have been improving but would people say I should go to the doctor again, or let this pass?
I an a healthy person, free from any diesease or infection. It has happened to me 3-4 times in past 2 years. I siffer from pale yellow liquid.
I did not discuss it with doctor.

Is there anyone who has gone to doctor? Please post yor findings.
Sorry about the spelling mistakes above, it happened because of the pale yellow liquid.
:)   (just kidding,just trying to blame it on something...)
I just had watery yellow liquid gush out of my nose uncontrollably! I'm just getting over the flu that wiped me out for 5 days. Horrible flu symptoms: fever, severe headaches, body aches, dry throat, slight cough, chills, sweats, sensitive to light. It was awful, but I was feeling better and cleaning up and when I bent over this yellow liquid poured out of my nose! Surprised, I stood up and blew my nose, nothing but a little clear mucus. So I bent over to see and again the pale yellow liquid just gushed out. This really freaked me out. I've never had this happen before. Maybe just some sinuses draining? It was a few tablespoons worth of liquid. Any ideas?
My story matches jaudie's exactly.  So at least I'm not alone, but I still don't know what this means.  Any medical answers?
Wow.. I thought I was the only one.
I aswell had water like highlighter yellow liquiod dripping out of my nose. It first started in the shower, it felt like a nose bleed. I got out of the shower and it was pouring, until it stopped but when blow drying my hair it started to pour out again. I havent had a cold recently but 2 weeks ago I had a bad fall and hurt my head serverly... then this? Could it be related?
I took 2 trips to the ER.. First I went when it started but I didnt have and head ache, nausa.. but that later developed in the night when I came home from the ER. I went back in the morning.. they ran other of test ... CT scan came back ok.. my white bld count was on the high side and they wanted to do an LP.. I was scared however and though I might just go home and try to wait it out.. My head aches horrible although im feeling better in general... should I still be concerned? I never really got any anwsers of what it was exactly.
Whew..I just had the yellow liquid gushing out of my nose! i just had cough, flu & fever last week. I noticed that I got dizzy every time I travel.
Well, I'll try to see a doctor this week...
Flippin hec this just happened to me too. I have had an infection for over two weeks lost sence of smell, taste and been really quite ill! I was just starting to feel better and this happened....I now have a massive headache (stress maybe!!). Think Im going to have to go to the Dr's. Was kind of comforting to know others have had the same thing though...
this just happened to me when i hit my head on a driveway the head injusry was only bad for a second or two but when i bent over and just rubbed it everything was good but then the yellow liquid that was almost watery came out but only a little bit of it did.  i havnt been sick or anything and when i came inside to blow my nose none of it came out im wonderin what it is but cant figure it out
I am surprised that the doctors consulted by  those who have experienced the gushing yellow liquid emanating from the nose have apparently been unaware of the existence of this occurrence. I first came across this when I was about 10 (some 47 yrs ago!) I was bending over and something came pouring out o my nose which looked just like orange squash !. My mum calmly told  me it was nothing to be alarmed about and was just a flushing out of the antrum (paranasal sinuses) I seem to remember the after effect was one of relief where I had had sinus discomfort.
Just this morning my daughter  came out of the shower saying she had a yellow nose bleed so I was able to reassure her. She had been at a spring board diving competition yesterday.
I thought I'd google it and have been disturbed at how many have been told to hurry to the doctor and scaremongering suggestions  of brain and spinal fluids. It seems this is quite a common occurence and it's dissappointing the medical profession are apparently in the dark on this one.
The exact same thing started happening to me yesterday and today! I blow my nose and only a bit of the clear stuff comes out.  Then, when I bend over to pick something up from the floor, or to tie my shoelaces, etc., this gush of bright yellow watery substance comes rushing out of my nose, and lands on whatever surface is below me.  The weird thing is that I have NOT been sick at all lately - no cold, sinus trouble, or flu-like symptoms of any kind - I've actually felt quite well!  As I'm Googling this issue, I'm disappointed that I'm not finding any real answers on the Web to why this is occurring to me (and to all of you, as well).  Please let me know what you find out! (i.e. why exactly this is happening, how to prevent it / treat it, etc.).
Hi guys,

If the yellow discharge smells (bad odour) then this is what i had 4 weeks ago from my right nostril + pressure in right side of head, cracking upper right jaw also.
The discharge was gone after a week dr. prescribed nasal corticosteroid which I still use, but need to go again because pressure is still there from time to time + phlegm in my throat for 8 months now.

Good Luck to all,
FWK
Yep, same thing here.  I have had a horrible sinus infection this past week and it went into bronchitis.  Now that I am starting to get rid of the green nose the yellow nose bleed has started.  My guess is it is partly dry nose from all of the medicine I have been taking and from being slightly dehydrated.  I also am an instructor and wasn't able to take off work so I was straining my already sore throat all week.

About 2 years ago this happened to me - the dripping bright yellow.  I called the doctor to set up a doctor's appointment for a sinus infection and instead was told to rush to get a cat scan.  The nurses were worried that a recent soccer injury had caused it.  I went through with the cat scan and it showed nothing.  I don't really want to go through that again so I guess I am going to give it a few days.  It is probably just the end of being sick.
just happened to me tonight - 1st time ever - so glad i found this place- there is nothing out there!! anyway i scooted to the doc right away (nurse practicioner saw me) and since i do have sinus stuff going on (almost always it seems) and just getting over a cold - he said urea (a waste form the body) is getting caught in the pockets in the sinuses - he gave me a script for a spray and was going to do an antibiotic too as ears are congested and teeth hurting for last 4 days but I'm holding off - (healing form 15 months of stomach issues) hope i don't need it - but that was his answer
hope this helps someone
:-)
sounds like the begining of a sinus infection. check with your doctor to make sure. the quicker you get started on an antibiotic the better.
Wow!!   I'm glad I found this forum. I have the exact same issue. Whenever I bend over for any reason, this liquid comes from my nostril. Although, mine isn't yellow, it's clear....  I feel  much better now, because I know I have sinus issues and allergies... For a minute, I thought I was weird or something. lol...

Thanks for the information.

Happy Holidays!!
I just came back from the walk-in clinic about the same watery yellow discharge from my left nostril. I had it two days and only at home. The doc prescribed an eye drop and about a wk of antibiotic to take. He also recommended a humidifier and drink lots of water. Stay away from cold medicines like tylenol, he says it makes the infections last longer.

Hope this helps, I was so scared when this happened to me cause it's my first time.
i had watery yellow liquid stuff coming out of my left nostril right after i hit my head and it happened as soon as i did it. do you all think mine could be from the brain fluid or something else.  It happened right after i hit my head and i have a lump in my head due to hitting it.
Am relieved to see I'm not the only one that has this.  Like everyone else, I leaned over and this bright yellow liquid poured out of my left nostril.  My family all shared a cold for the holidays and I thought I was about over it.  Though, I have felt tired and my exercise routine about killed me this week.  Have a doctor appt. soon and will bring this up.

One sobering note though, I saw on TV where a woman had a clear discharge that had a metalic taste and it was spinal fluid leaking from her brain- YIKES!
realised how stupid i was to do 'Coke'  
I've had this 2 days now! and its not when i bend its all the time constantly! i have tissue shoved up my nose and have to change it all the time, its really embarrasing :(.. Don't lecture me please.. i wont be doing it again!
Just wondering if anyone had any advice
My first experience of the yellow liquid was about 2 weeks ago.
I had been taking antibiotics for a gum infection which to me had clearly affected my sinus. After taking a warm shower at the tail end of my antibiotics a yellow smelly liquid came from my left nostril. Although I was a little alarmed at first my sinuses felt much clearer and I felt perfectly normal. The next day I was fine and put it down to my infection clearing up ( or clearing out!!!! ).
Tonight, again after a warm shower the Yellow liquid returns, this time with no odour. Seen as nobody seems to have a clear answer to this I plan to visit the doctors tomorrow, so I will keep all posted of out come.

P.s For a minute I thought maybe a handful of us could have been taken over my Aliens.....lol
How sad to see that so many of us have searched for answers with no real answers. I had sinus surgery 6 months ago and have been very healthy since then. I had my first yellow nosebleed today and it was scary. It was from the left side with some head pressure as well. My mother was sure I should call 911 but I decided to handle it like a nosebleed and lay down. It has happened twice in an hour but myself nor no one in my family has been ill. If it continues, I will see my ENT and will let you all know. Hopefully, it will be a one time occurance.
This happened to me during the night and this morning.  Bright yellow from one nostril.  Was on the pillow case and when I blew my nose.  This was a first.  Haven't had a cold or sinus problems in months, no head trauma in years, nothing.  This just happened out of the blue.  I am on an antibiotic for Rosacea, 1 week now.  Very strange.
PPHHHEW!  I thought I was eating too many glodfish crackers and my snot was turning watery and yellow!  Bright yellow!  And running like a sun of a gun.  

No big deal tho,  the body does weird things sometimes I guess.  

I'm relieved to know I'm not sick.  I called my doc.  Apparently its just my tear ducts flushing or even sinuses flushing?.. (I did get some on my lip tho and it does taste like salty tears, not snot)  Ugh, not that i'd know what that tastes like or anything.. i guess anyway.  

Is it weird that I'm kind of looking forward to fluoro drippin again?  haha.
Guess we all got the yellow "google" nose!

My wife mentioned stopping by with a coworker to get ready for a retirement party tonight and I was in the bathroom when my nose started leaking this yellow fluid.  I heard voices out front and started to panic because the flow did not stop.  I was trying to figure out what the heck was going on and also afraid I was going to be stuck with a tissue screwed up my nose when company arrived!

I found that by getting down on my knees and putting my head between my elbows it would start again...feels dry and burning and seems clear after blowing and then will water out on it's own.

The last week I have had cough, sore throat, headaches, water eyes, and eventually lost my voice, wheezing and late night coughing, fever, chills, painful bruising around my sinuses, ear infections, popping jaw, strange tooth and gum pain and now this damn yellow fluid...

Need to get to a doc for some meds but three kids here keeping me busy...arrrrrrrgh!
Has anyone come up with an answer for this?  It just happened to me over the last two days.  I just had a crown and root canal on my upper left molar, and the afternoon after it was complete, the fluid started?  Very strange!  
im alfred from the philippines...iam also bothered by this strange yellow energy coming out of my nose. it goes out on its own and i can feel when its running. It usually happens when I move my head forward. I tried to get a sample and observed it. It is so sticky once it dries up. Can somebody figure out what that was?
I too have recently experienced the "yellow nose bleed" it scared the **** out of me. I was just getting over a throat infection which my ENT percribed the Z pac for, then it went into my nose and turned into a really really bad cold. No fever no aches or pain, just a bad head cold, with coughing. My snot was very bright yellow throughout the entire cold. Now that my nose isnt congested anymore and I can finally breathe normally, I now have this yellow nose bleed. I am going to be calling my ENT tomorrow to see what he says since I have already seen him. Maybe my throat infection turned into a sinus infection. I am glad to hear that I am not the only one, and that I dont have anything to really worry about since I am sort of a worry wart when it comes to my health. Thanks to all who contributed to this forum and once I find out what this is I will be sure to post it.
Has anyone had a Blood Test for Anemia or Spleen disorder on these Runny Yellow Clear Liquid Nose Symptoms?
I live in Nottingham in the UK and from time to time when I am run down or getting over a cold infection I get the same yellow watery discharge as described by everyone. There is no warning or smell to it and there seems to be quite a lot of it though I would say less than a teaspoon in my case. Once it has happened you can sometimes feel it coming and grab a tissue in time. It is bizarre that this has not come to the attention of the medical profession. Another condition that seems to have largely  evaded medical observation is tonsiloliths or tonsil stones that grow in the pockets or crypts in the back of the throat either side of the tonsils. My wife had a stone which appeared as a small white lump in her throat. The stones grow in the pockets around food particles and end up full of bacteria making them very smelly especially if broken open. We researched it on the web and my wife was able to remove it with a toothbrush by gently brushing at the end she could see. It turned out to be lumpy hard white about 1 cm long. There doesn't seem to be any information about the cause but may be it's our modern diets that are blame. Still atleast they seem to be benign and relativcely easy to cure, but you probably wont be aware you've got them until they grow big enough to poke out the opening of the tonsil crypts.
After reading everyone's comments I am still drawing blanks. I have had a nasty cough since the beginning of December, it has finally started going away. However, every time I bend over I have water running out of my nose. Unlike everyone else I have not noticed any yellow color, it looks just like water and it stops when I stand up. It does have a funny smell, kinda like when you get water up your nose while swimming (which I haven't been). Please anyone with doctor wives, husbands, parents, or friends find out what this is for us with no insurance. Thanks everyone
I have have the same fluid running out of my left nostril, it started and came out the same day I got my root canal on my left side too. when ever I bend over it streams out like a bloody nose. At fist the fluid color was like water down blood and kind of brown then after a few more times of the flow from the nose it now became rustic yellow.
I've the same, bright yellow/orangy out of my left nostril and normal green in the other nostril, and when its dry in the nose in the morning its all hard and like crystal, its runs out also!
I started sneezing like a lunatic the other night for about 30mins non stop and then had a bad pain around my sinuses for about 72hours it was like a very bad permanant headache, i think it was an allergy to some clothes fabric conditioner tissues that you put in the tumble dryer, as they where just purchased, i'm certain it was a reaction to that.I've been feeling a bit dizzy also, so it confirms all the other comments on here have a look at this photo to see if its the same as all yours?  http://www.flickr.com/photos/13011376@N00/4313061887/sizes/l/

Jools
France
I recently had the same thing happen to me. I was bent over putting mousse in my hair. When I stood up, a dark yellow, watery substance came pouring out of my nose. I was really scared. I have never had this happen to me before. I was really sick the week before with a cold coughing, sneezing, body aches, the typical cold.  This happened about a week after the worst of my cold symptoms were gone. I felt fine so it really scares me to see this. What is it? I have never experienced this before and have had pleny of colds in my 42 yrs. Should I go to the doctor?
I also have orange water drip from my nose,it happen when I bent over and it drool over on the floor. This has happen to me before, but last time it even worst. the orange water keep dripping from my nose, I don't think it was flu because I still have my sense of smell and the worst part is I can smell the orange water, It smell like dead fish. I have trouble sleeping because when I laying back the water drip to the back of my throat and it taste salty and weird. sometimes it came with a mucus, and the mixture with the mucus it turn dark yellowish and when it dry, the mucus solidify and i pull the dried mucus from my nose and it came long about 10 cm and I feel it from the throat until it out from my nose. After a week it disappear. Do you think It just sinus infection or other disease?
Exactly the same thing happens with me when I bend over, a clear yellowish fluid just runs out, doesn't smell too good either. i asked the doc, she put me on a double course of antibiotics but it had no effect. i'm not sick though, don't have a cold or blocked nose, just this runny nose when i bend over
i am so glad im not the only one! I watched a program the other night about brain fluid but I searched it up and its most likely to be a common sinus infection. PHEW!!!
A friend once told me she occasionally got green fluid from her nose. She took NyQuil and it would go away.
Halifax NS - Same thing here but with the occasionaly little blackish brown lump in it - I think the color of the liquid was best described as orange squash... it's yellow, but a very deep yellow like paint with too much pigment making it slightly orange or brown... dark yellow. For me it's odorless and tasteless and there's a tonne of it in my sinuses and throat when I wake up. Over the past week I've had the flu with sinus headaches and some pretty severe coughing... body aches, fatigue... everything everyone here is describing. Oddly, since the deep yellow water had been running from my right nostril I've felt quite a bit better.

I see this has been going on a while here... I don't have a whole lot of faith in medicine in modern society so I keep my doctors visits to a minimum. Can anyone comment on how this has turned out for them??
the same thing happens to me.i am quite scared although my mom told me that it is because i drink lot of water and the weather is pretty hot.so i googled .the water from my nose is clear liquid.happy to see the comment of the people .how can i escape from this disease?
Thank you all for posting stuff I've been having this for a couple of days and it's freaking me out. Like some others on here I have tooth and gum pain, I think I have a small infection in my tooth and am worried about having an abcess (abscess). I think this liquid could be coming out due to pressure in the left side of my face near my sinuses.
It happens to me just randomly, not when I bend over or anything, it was clear at first but is now turning yellowish and when i blow my nose there is a lot, and it's a darker yellow. It's always very thin and sticky.
This happened to me last night when I was bent over brushing my teeth before going to bed. Earlier in the evening I had heard bubbling in my ears, like there was water in there. From what I have read here I am reasured that this will be a sinus issue. All makes sense when you consider the bubbling noise and the pressure of bending over activating it. When I got up this morning, I noticed that the bath towel still had some of this fluid on it and it stains like a yellow marker pen.
WOW. I cant believe how many people this has happened to and no one can really tell what it is.  Ive had cold and throat symptoms for about a week or two now and everyone was trying to convince me that it was just allergies.  but i have never had allergies like this before.  Today i went outside for an hour and just worked out really hard and then came in for a shower.  Then after my shower i started feeling a nose bleed but instead it was NEON YELLOW liquid coming from my right nostril!!!! what is it!? im really worried now.
It could be because you just came in out of the cold or moved from a colder area in the building your in to a warmer area. The glands in the back of your nose that usually clear mucus towards the back of your throat slow down in cold air or stop working completely, then as you move into warmer air the mucus thaws out before the glands start working again which send the mucus gushing out this is what happens when you have a runny nose in general and I would say it is whats happening to you. Go to a doctor if it persists.
My post above is in no way a diagnosis just an explanation about why you cant seem to stop the fluid from running out of your nose. Everyone has similar symptoms but this is common in flu, cold, sinus and other bacterial infections its usually a good sign that your immune system is working to fight the infection when mucus has green or yellow colouring to it. Usually at this stage of your infection medication is not affective and the body needs to heal itself but if it continues for more than three to five days you really should see a doctor antibiotics may be required.
Have had the strange "yellow bloody nose" for the first time myself.  Its happened twice from the same nostril and both times, my stuffed nostril cleared right up afterwards. Nose head injuries to speak of, and I otherwise feel fine, but did get over a nasty cold a few weeks back.  The best explanation I read here was that this is an antrum flush of the sinus passages.  I'll give it a few days and if it doesn't happen again I'll assume that is the case.  If it does, it's probably time to check in with a Dr.
I came across this site because I googled: no taste, nor smell and yellow stuff running from nose.  I have been ill with a extreme cough and enough mucus to run though at least three rolls of toliet paper.  My nose was so blocked I was forced to use qtips to remove the mucus.  I have been coughing for over a week and I have not been able to smell or taste anything for the past four days.  This morning after taking a shower, I  blew my nose and lots of yellowish liquid came out..as many of you said; it looked like a yellow highlighter.  I shocked to see that some many have posted the same symptoms and within a two weeks period.  This is really scary.  I live any southern california. Is there a corrolation here guys?  I am started to worry.  I, just like you all, have not received any definitive answers as to what it could be.  I have plans to visit a doctor tomorrow. I'll keep everyone posted.  
I have had this for around 15 years. It seems pretty harmless but doesnt taste to good. Its yellow and sticky it just happens at any time not when im ill. I wouldnt worry about  it if it was serious there would be answers on what it is exactly, matt, northampton, uk
I started having rusty orange drippage out of my right nostril. Nurseline was no help, although she did suggest tasting it. Salty=mucus. Sweet= spinal fluid.  Well, it was neither. Dripping stopped for 8 hrs and then started again while I was vacuuming. Still waiting for doctor on duty to call from the health center. Basically, I think it's just a sinus infection. I think I have pressure building in my ear, but I could be imagining since I'm looking for that to happen. But, unlike most of you, I haven't been sick in a long time. So, maybe I'm in the beginning stages. Good luck.
Regarding my previous post:
Doctor called me a little bit ago and thinks it's definitely sinuses. But, not an infection since my discharge is orange. Like oil-from-a-pizza orange. Suggested neti pot or saline spray.
could this start after having acupuncture? I had it last week as part of my physio therapy to my right side of my face, however the yellow liquid came out o my left nostril.  I had this continously on and off for 3 days.i seem fine but also experienced headaches and slightly light headed. could you tell me what i should do?
ok wondering if you guys can help me ..i started off 2 mths ago with an infection under my arm it was a cyst i had a dose of antibiotics ...but ive continued to have ALOT of dizzy spells ...i get alot of crackling and popping in my ears...alot of pressure around my head and neck also a headache for 2mths ...i just got a cold a week ago a kinda bad one ...well i was blowing my nose and nothing came out ..then i sniffed and thought hmm i need to blow it again ...well i blew it and bright yellow snot come out ....i continued to blow it a good 15 times ...still filling up the tissues with bright yellow snot and now i have this horrible smell in my nose and im still blowing my nose and have ALOT of snot and its still yellow ...hope you can help Tess
Good to know we're not alone!!
It's been happening to me on and off for 3 years, and it's all triggered by hitting my head and being tilted a certain angle.  Before it's coming out, it almost feels like liquid is swishing around in your brain (I called the yellow liquid brain juice for the longest time).  It's the worst.  I'm thinking since it happens to so many people that it's pretty normal and nothing to be alarmed about.  
Charm i had alot of headaches they were pretty much daily for me ... alot of pressure in my head ....felt very light headed alot...and the discharge from my nose was my right nostril only ...an update on my condition ...i went to the dr's today ...and it seems i have a pretty bad sinus infection ...i've never suffered from sinus before so this is totally new to me ....anyway i'm on antibiotics to clear it ...so charm id probably go see your dr if for nothing else a peace of mind...take care and i hope things get better for you
I have had this happen several times this morning! I keep seeing that people have had sinus infections prior to it happening. I too have been having some sinus issues. But I do not go to the doctor anymore about it because this is a constant thing for me (the sinus problems I mean) and the Doc never gives me anything for it they just say drink plenty of fluids and get plenty of rest. I was told that Antibiotics won't treat a sinus infection because it is a viral infection and they only treat bacterial infections. Has anyone heard the same thing or different? Maybe I need to see another doc? The drainage from my right nostril is weird and relieving at the same time! lol But annoying because it happens out of no where! It's one thing to have a stuffy nose and need to blow it in public but to have stuff running out of your nose all of a sudden is rather embarrassing! Doctors really should be more in tune with this happening! I didn't think I would find anything on the internet but so many people are having the same issue!
I got the same watery yellow liquid yesterday and today.It happened when I tried to take a nap at my desk. Suddendly, I felt this unstoppable thing coming out of my left nostril !. Now I'm all freak out cause I just read that it could be CSF( Cerebrospinal fluid) coming out from the brain. It's called CSF fistula. It's like having an open door in the Brain and Nervous system to external infecctions. Anybody heard something about it??
3 days ago, I started with a bright orange watery discharge in left nostril, now on to bright yellow when my head is upside down and I then stand up it runs out.  I also have creaking in my right jaw joint. My upper jaw on the left side hurts like a constant pressure in my teeth. I have been flossing alot to help with the pain. And using ibuprofen.  I did not have a cold or anything.  I just came back from swimmimg in rough surf for 5 days.  Lots of ocean water was pounded up into my nose. My last day there I was "talking out of my nose." I still had no congestion.
This happened to me last year too. My family doc said my sinuses had probably been packed up and this stuff had been up there awhile. (not sure about the science of that answer.) She did put me on antibiotics and it went away. I'm not worried, but I agree with the other comments, an antibiotic is probably the way to go.  Your sinuses are very close to the brain, not worth taking a chance.  Check with your doctors people.
well i ve been reading all your comments......ive had this for a few weeks....the only thing is i dont even have to bend down for it to happen..........i just turned over in bed this morning and a clear yellow liquid came out so fast it made me jump..............i tried catchin it in a tissue but nothing came out wen i sat up but i have white bed sheets and its all over them.............also i have had no other symptoms at all..............no cough no fever no cold no headache no facial pressure..............the only time i get pressure is just before it happens then my nose is very sore for a while after
Just experienced this today. Got hit on the head in rugby and started happening on the pitch. Getting  hit on the head seems to be quite common. Might go to the doctor soon but I doubt they will know the cause or how to stop it.
Posting this on various threads, because they all seem to be about the same thing:

Enjoy :-)

Had the same thing - bright yellow fluid exiting left nostril, but please, nobody panic. I did (panic), and thought I was also leaking csf, but the doc called this evening and said it was probably just a cyst in the sinus cavity that burst for some reason. They're going to take a CT scan of the sinuses just to be sure, but it's probably nothing.

These things are benign more often than not (actually almost always)..; and apparently more common than anyone thought (by reading all the comments on this board). So please do yourselves a favor, relax... take a deep breath, blow your nose and get on with whatever you were doing :-) If I hear any new news after the scan, I'll pass it along.
I have pneumonia symptoms included soar throat, sneezing, headache, stomach ache, and tons of congestion.. and ive been having the watery yellow drainage coming out of my nose everytime i blow it, paper towels full of it.. seems like all the regular mucus comes out first then the yellow stuff comes out at the end.. it does have a urine smell to it.. i went to the urgent care and my doctor and both said its normal but referred it to the green and yellow regular mucus.. i explained that its not the same its very watery and falls right out of my nose especially when i let air into the tissue while blowing.. if i cover the tissue over my whole nostril and dont let any air in it doesnt come out which is weird but after blowing everything out i still feel it there like i still need to blow and more and more yellow stuff comes out.. so i asked the pharmacist where i got my meds and he said its because i have a viral infection and is normal.. one person on here said its UREA liquids from the body but i didnt kno and it concerns me that no one has a straight answer.. ive been sick since 10/23 and its now 11/2 how long is this stuff gonna keep coming out or why cant a doctor even give me a straight answer?? any medical professionals on here that can help??
wow! This is crazy! I never thought there would be so many people experiencing this and from the comments... they go back a couple of years! It is now 2010 almost 2011 and I haven't read a single remedy out of all the comments. I can't afford to visit the doctor and I too was concerned that I may be leaking spinal fluid or something. The light yellowish fluid streams out of my right nostril and the substance is actually leaves a stickiness.  

Someone should contact. DR. OZ to research this matter.  Another unsolved medical mystery!  Stay Tuned!!
This has JUST happened to me and it freaked me right out!!... Mine doesn't have any taste to it (I knwo becuase it also ran down my throat!! YUK) but I noticed yesterday I had crystalized yellow stuff in my nose and it was sticky!!... I am just getting over a Flu... I'm going to go to the doctors to see what they say and i'll repost with what I was told.
I suppose nowadays when we experience any unusual symptoms -like yellow liquid running out of your nose- we run straight to Google. That's what I did and after some peace of mind, I can post my story.  Just right now as I lied down to take a nap I started feeling a buildup of mucus in my nose.  I got up to blow my nose and this yellowish liquid just dripped onto the tissue.  Not snot, or mucus, but yellow-brownish liquid about a 1/4 teaspoon or so.

I am a 25 yr old, male and the only thing I can imagine are one of two things that caused this:

1. I have had a bit of a cold the last couple of weeks; occasional sneezing and greenish snot.  Maybe I do have some sort of sinus infection?

2. I played football today and as I dove for a pass, the guy covering me actually tripped over me and his waist kind of landed on my face. It was nothing brutal, just more of a slight head crush and a hit to the nose.  No liquid out of the nose at that time, but possibly some kind of build up?

It has now been about 15-20 minutes since this happened and I'm feeling fine, breathing fine, maybe a bit of congestion. I just wanted to give someone else the peace of mind that these previous posts have done for me. I have my annual physical in a couple of weeks, so before I go and diagnose myself, I will make sure to bring this up to my physician.
I would love to know what causes this. I've noticed some similarities to my experience in some of the postings.

1. A lot of you mention it happening after antibiotics. I just started taking antibiotics for a bladder infection a few days ago.

2. My jaw has been popping for years now, ever since I had a root canal on the right side, the same side my drainage came out.

3. I have headaches a lot but they are usually fixed by going to the chiropractor. I have been feeling a lot of sinus pressure lately, so I'm not sure if my headaches are from that or from my neck being out of whack or both!

My "yellow nose bleed" happened while I was at physical therapy for my knee, yesterday. I was doing a stretch that requires you to lie on your stomach and pull your heel up to your butt. I was facing the right and my head was slightly tilted, and all of a sudden my nose started pouring. I thought at first it was either a nose bleed (because it was very warm) or it was just normal snot, but it was very watery and when I finally got a tissue I noticed that it was slightly yellow. It was very sticky on my hands (don't worry I washed them!), but I didn't notice an odor. Afterward, I felt a little relief in my sinus pressure, but it is back today. I wish I could get it to do it again!

I did notice it was quite warm yesterday at physical therapy so I guess the change in temperature opened my sinus cavities.

Also, someone posted earlier about their doc saying that it was a build up of urea in their sinus cavities. Makes me wonder if it had anything to do with my bladder infection, maybe my body wasn't processing its waste properly or something.

From what I've read, there seem to be different triggers for everyone. I think it's the body's natural defense system. If I find out anything else I will post. It would be nice to have some more follow-ups posted.

Thanks to all who have posted. It's nice to know you're not alone. Especially when no one you know has had this happen to them! :)
Okay so I was told by my dr that it was just a sinus infection!! THANKFULY!!... but yea.. I was given an antibiotic nasal spary for sinus infections and I havent had the issue happen since my last post!!
Last night I got the same "bloody nose" feeling a few of ya'll spoke about and instead of blood it was this bright yellow liquid dripping out of my nose. Definitly freaked me out a bit...not really used to seeing that color coming out of my nose. I have been recovering from an upper respiratory infection and ear infection so I thought it may be related...though everyone talking about it being CSF got me freaked out enough to go to a doc in a box this morning. The doctor told me that when you get a sinus infection or ear infection the sinus closes up, and when it clears up the sinus opens and may have drainage...the bright yellow was the drainage. He prescribed me some decongestant, steroids, and more antibiotics to make sure everything cleans up nicely.

Hope this helps people out...
Hey I had the exact same thing happen to me 2 days ago, it was so scary. I was bending over picking up mu daughter room and it started pouring out like water! But it was bright highlighter color yellow! I freaked out thinking it was Cerebral spinal fluid from my brain! So i went to the insta care quickly! The doctor told me that she was worried it might be Cerebral spinal fluid when she read my chart before seeing the color of it, but the spinal fluid that coats your brain is clear! She said it is something that gets caught in your sinuses and maybe been there for awhile and then something that is blocking it finally came loose and so it pours out. Also she asked if I had eaten anything that color recently, I couldn't think of anything except a small piece of birthday cake that had yellow trim on the edges, she said it could be a food that got caught under my pallet and stayed there until again something jarred it loose! So no worries it's OK, it was associated with dizziness too but we figure that's my anxiety cause i have bad anxiety and had a bad panic attack when I saw it coming from my nose! I hope this helps re-assure you that it's nothing with your brain, if it's colored!
Yellow liquid comes from nose (one teaspoon app) CAUSE?

Altitude change, heat+altitude change, stress (head pressure), aircraft travel (altitude), anything that causes sinus canals to pressure change wrt pressure, temperature, sinus canal volume. Ear, nose, throat, etc are linked by canals. Your inner/outer ear fills with yellowy wax substance which, when PRESSURE changes (see reasons above) canals open and waxy residue heats inside canals and will run out your nose or down throat or out ear BUT mainly out nose when you lean over. If you climb 1000 ft big pressure changes occur. Massive changes when you climb 10.000 ft. Aircraft fly 35,000 ft+

So any one or combo of the above cause yellowy liquid to run from nose.

If it becomes very painful don't waste your time at doctors. Get MRI scan
or/and visit ENT hospital department.

cure. Swim under water (salty sea water) and flush out your canals.

Dr Wriggles
Here is a new one for you all - my 1 week old baby has gotten a sinus infection (runny nose) from her big brother. It is bright yellow with a nectar like consistency. It's killing me to hear her nose congestion but I know that newborns are unusually resilient to sickness. Her immune system is in top shape and I breastfeed her antibodies I have built up in the last two weeks from her brother. I also have always heard that the more yellow the mucus, the more white blood cells fighting off the infection. Most of these people posting were getting over an illness or on antibiotics or not even feeling bad at all so I just think it's a sign that your immune system in the sinuses is working hard to fight an infection.
hey guys, the same thing happens to me but i had caught the reason for all of that , the reason from my opinion is the sugar

normally, that doesn't happen to me ,but when I eat alot of sugars, my nose begins to give this yellow liquid.

believe me , my opinion is right in my case, I'm a good watcher of myself,
watch yourselves too , may be one or more of you is the same as my case
It has been a huge relief to read through these posts. The other night I had yellow fluid streaming from my nose. During the day I was fine, then the next night I went to my yoga class and as we were starting the bending poses, again, there was yellow fluid came gushing out which lasted about 5 minutes. My yoga mat was covered in drips of yellow fluid (very embarrasing, especially because I had nothing except my top to wipe my nose and mat).
It is interesting to read symptoms that you have becauseI have been feeling lethargic for the past couple of months and have had intermittent ear issues (popping, hearing loss, ringing) lasting only minutes at a time. I have never suffered sinus problems before. But I have not been to the doctors because to me it didn't seem serious. However, I will now make an appointment to see him this week to have a check.
I have been occasionally having this yellow fluid gushing out from my nose especially when bending as described most posts here. I am a Chinese and in my culture, we believe that this is a sign of elemental imbalance in the body, or in other words, we described it as "heat" in the body. To achieve elemental balance, we need to "cool" the body and I follow a very simple remedy to remove the "heat".

#1: During the day, have plenty of water, as much as you can and avoid taking in fluids before you turn in.  
#2: Have plenty of sleep, preferably 7 hours of uninterrupted rest at minimum. That explains the first point, because having too much fluid before you sleep will disrupt your sleep during the night as you might need to rush to the bathroom.
#3: Since there is "heat" in the body, avoid fried foods, burgers, fries, steak etc at all cost because they contribute to the "heat". It will worsen the condition. Have meals that are steamed, or soups, salads.

You will feel well the very next day if the above 3 points are strictly observed. In addition, if you live near any Chinese community or Chinatown, visit the medical hall and asked if they have any herbal tea that can dispel the "heat". The Chinese should know.

If not, the 3 point remedy should get you recovered the next day especially after the good rest.
I just had this too (and when I think about it I've had it several times throughout the years). And goolging in my language (Swedish) gave me "A sinus that has for some reason been shut off (swelling, physical object or snot) can accumulate clear yellowish fluid (where there should be only air) that will drain through nose when the blockage clears."

So from what I read, you should be happy it comes out. If it doesn't it could eventually cause an sinus infection.
I got root canal on the top right of my molar, and then i got this yellow liquid that comes out. This has happened for 2 weeks. HELP!
i am also concerned because i stood up from sitting on a chair and a transparenty orangle liquid came out of my nose, i have also had no injuries or illness recently, it was 3 drips and then it stopped,, no taste to it either, nothing afterwards happened.
Not sure either what the hell that was, I am 47 and now living in China, so you can imagine what was going through my head. I bent over going to the bathroom, thought I had a nose bleed, because I haven't have one in years....not since the old drug snorting days, but i did recently suffer an intestinal infection of some sort, lasted a couple weeks, and now I am feeling tip top and yesterday that nose run happened, and there are no types of Dr.'s here I am familiar with, so I wasn't really panicing, but was a little concerned, but today, no liquid but the yellow-orangish snot, so I am guessing what ever it was is taking caer of itself. No head traumas since a young child, or any illness except for the intestinal infection, so it may be the body working prooerly...LoL, I have to admit I have been eating much differently here than at home, no preservatives here, just fresh healty food, I just have to wash it a little better....LoL, but it could be the toxins being released from the body.
I've had liquid coming out of my nose with a small dip of blood after i was done from freediving, this is the first time it happens to me, well maybe it happened before but i didnt notice it but it only happens while im freediving, could this have something to do with sinuses ? i know that im not allergic to anything, but maybe its just the beggining.
had yellow liquid coming*
Yep, for the first time tonight, yellow liquid sure enough came draining out of my nose.

I know I've had a sinus head cold lately. It's been bad. I've took Mucinex and Sudafed. I feel fine but I know my right ear is infected. This freaked me out but I'm glad I now know what it is. Time for some real medicine.
I had been suffering a cold of which I havent been ill for about 5 years, this one I was bedridden with (hate being ill).  After about a week I started to feel better a little tired but on the mend (have to with kids).  I was bending down changing the cat water and then all this yellow liquid came dripping out of my nose and took me by surprise really.  Whilst trying to explain the scenrio to the doctor's receptionist we both ended up laughing.  The nurse checked my temperature (a little high), blood pressure fine, but cloudiness in one ear.  She then explained that yes it was a sinus infection and now am on a course of 3 times a day for 7 days amoxicilin.  Hope this helps.
Me too! This past Friday I was in the Halloween aisle and I left and had to go blow my nose. Then I seen it..yellow gunk!!! I was like OMG  whats going on with me. I too just got over a head congestion...but Im also having other issues like headaches and stuff. I had this yellow stuff come out of my nose for 2 days. As of right now I dont have any but Im going to go tell my Dr when I go see him this Wednesday.
I am from South Africa,male aged 21, the exact same thing happened to me this morning after taking a bath and blowing my nose and it just came streaming out my left nose uncontrollably which seriously freaked the sh** out of me!! but after reading this i dont see the use in checking with the doctor cause i feel fine now.
> Yep, for the first time tonight, yellow liquid sure enough came
> draining out of my nose.
>
> I know I've had a sinus head cold lately. It's been bad. I've took
> Mucinex and Sudafed. I feel fine but I know my right ear is infected.
> This freaked me out but I'm glad I now know what it is. Time for some
> real medicine.

Did you by any chance use any of the 12-hour nasal sprays that are available over-the-counter, specifically one containing Oxymetazoline HCL?  I recently had this happen to me after fighting the common cold, and this had happened to me once before two years ago, also near the end of a fight with the common cold, but had otherwise never happened to me in my life (I'm in my mid 30s).

Both times the only commonality is that I had used an over-the-counter 12-hour nasal decongestant to help me breathe through my nose, so I'm starting to suspect it might be caused by the Anefrin I used (Walgreens brand)?

I'm not certain yet, so I'm wondering if others who experienced the same symptoms had also used a nasal decongestant sprayed directly into the nose containing Oxymetazoline.
This happens to me twice, and i observed that it's the next day right after I eaten lots of oranges..
i have the same problem but all the time i also do not know what this is
EVERYONE READ the post from wotsupdoc!

Thanks very much!  This is logical & helpful.

I've had a bad cold that went through stages for 8 days until today:
flaming sore throat, head congestion, dry chest cough, loose chest cough, excessive clear nasal mucus
Just when I was able to sleep through last night without coughing & feeling better, I suddenly blew my nose that produced alarmingly thick & BRIGHT YELLOW MUCUS, followed after several major blows with clear mucus again.  My nasal passages & sinuses feel more clear than ever, with a little ache-iness.  I assumed the bright yellow was somehow a sign of final clearing, which "wotsupdoc" seems to have confirmed.  Thanks!
This has just happened to me as well, and what the scariest thing is is that all the people that have reported this seem to have at least one thing in common, eg age, and I had a not unpleasant but sort of bleachy smell up my nose, and was only a few small drips.
That "brain fluid stuff is freaking me out. I have had the problem for like 3 days and have just realised that it is not to be taken lightly. Worse like 20 minutes ago I blew my nose (for like the 3 time this morning) and when i stuffed a tissue in to remove the rest of the snot a little trace of blood was on the tip of it. That "brain fuild" thing is freaking me out. I'm going to the doctor at lunch time!
Thanks Jules for the comment about maybe everyone had been taken over by Aliens.....  so funny and made my day.... by the way.. I had the bright yellow / orange stuff come out of my nose when I bent over....  It's really weird.
I'm not alone with this! I have been very sick for over a week now. Pneumonia, just finished my antibiotics and getting close to being done with two different medicines that I use in a nebulizer. Tonight, I bent down and a clear yellow liquid poured from just my right nostril. I've never had this happen before and it is alarming! It makes me wonder if I still have an infection? Please, keep posting any answers you all get if you go to a Dr! I feel better knowing I'm not alone, and I wish the best for everyone here.
I just took chlorpheniramine  for a rash that the doctor gave me and I just had a steam of yellow liquid from my nose, its happen to me when I go kayaking and am praciting my rolls, but this was random  what should I do, stop taking the meds or go back to the doctor. The pill I just took was a yellow colour  
Can you smell it
I have this effection and my left face,teeth and nose is very pain and then I go and see a doctor and now is not so pain but my left nose can't smell any smell but can breath I'm worry now ... Can I ask you the smell of my nose can be back ?
Mine effection same as you ... Now my left nose can't smell any smell so how are you now u can smell ?  Im worry now
Two or three times over the past several years I've had this same problem - an abrupt release of runny bright yellow or orange fluid from my left nostril.  It can continue for several days, and is particularly annoying when I go to bed or wake up.

The one twist in my case is that the first symptom is terrible tooth pain.  It seems to emanate from the roots of the upper jaw, left side.  The only anodyne I've found for this is a single large dose of guaifenesin (about 800 mg).  This relieves the pressure and pain, and starts the drainage.
I am too suprised to see so many people post on this. I had a major sinus surgery Feb.04,2013. After a few weeks of recovery and feeling better, a few days ago I had the same odd yellow water pour out of my nose. Alarmed I called my Dr., I also had been experiencing this odd smell I couldn't figure out what it was. The Dr. told me in my situation it was not uncommon, he did however give me a great nasal rinse. It is a saline solution injected with a mild steroid and an antibiotic, I use an oral siringe 10 mil. twice a day, he gave this to me yesterday and aready the phantom smell is almost gone, no yellow drainage today, it did happen once after the Dr. appointment.
Hi, I am also experiencing the bright yellow fluid dripping from my left nostril. But it seems to drip no matter what I am doing. (ie: don't need to be bent over). I am trying to get over a cold and initially thought my nose was running because of the cold, but then I noticed that my right side was running clear, and my left side was running bright yellow.
I have read other posts from people with similar issues, and I also suffer from migraines. I have also noticed that I am suffering from a reoccurring headache on the left side of my head (same side as the nostril that is dripping yellow).
I am making an appointment with my dr ASAP because I am tired of this and need it to be dealt with. Good luck to everyone else this type of health issue!
I started to have this sort of situation occurring to me for the past 2 days, but mine is weird, my left side produce a yellowish fluid, the right side produce a colorless fluid, like the normal flu, is it serious?
This yellow watery liquid drops from my nose whenever i get up from a long time bent position and also i have been witnessing involuntary movement of the muscles by the left side of my neck
i think the problem is putting drugs up your nose. i had this and thats what causes this