yellow liquid from nose
I was knealing down earlier and a stream of yellow watery liquid came from my right nostril.  I'd say about 2 tablespoons of liquid is what ran out of my nose.  This was not mucus and I have not been sick at all lately.  About an hour later I bent over again and could feel it about to happen again and blew my nose right away, again it was a yellow liquid.  I have never experienced this before.  I tried researching on the net but no real luck yet.  I have not had any kind of head injury lately.  I do work in hot conditions though almost daily.  I work new construction in houses with no AC, with temps getting above 110 with the heat index.  This week I did get pretty hot 2 days in a row.  I have worked in these conditions before and it has never bothered me, but on these 2 particular days, my eyes at the end of the day burned a good bit.  Could the heat be hurting me in a way I am not aware of ?  Today was Saturday and I didn't work, so I didn't get hot at all.  Can someone please help me out here and point me in the right direction of what might be wrong.
ok wondering if you guys can help me ..i started off 2 mths ago with an infection under my arm it was a cyst i had a dose of antibiotics ...but ive continued to have ALOT of dizzy spells ...i get alot of crackling and popping in my ears...alot of pressure around my head and neck also a headache for 2mths ...i just got a cold a week ago a kinda bad one ...well i was blowing my nose and nothing came out ..then i sniffed and thought hmm i need to blow it again ...well i blew it and bright yellow snot come out ....i continued to blow it a good 15 times ...still filling up the tissues with bright yellow snot and now i have this horrible smell in my nose and im still blowing my nose and have ALOT of snot and its still yellow ...hope you can help Tess
Good to know we're not alone!!
It's been happening to me on and off for 3 years, and it's all triggered by hitting my head and being tilted a certain angle.  Before it's coming out, it almost feels like liquid is swishing around in your brain (I called the yellow liquid brain juice for the longest time).  It's the worst.  I'm thinking since it happens to so many people that it's pretty normal and nothing to be alarmed about.  
Charm i had alot of headaches they were pretty much daily for me ... alot of pressure in my head ....felt very light headed alot...and the discharge from my nose was my right nostril only ...an update on my condition ...i went to the dr's today ...and it seems i have a pretty bad sinus infection ...i've never suffered from sinus before so this is totally new to me ....anyway i'm on antibiotics to clear it ...so charm id probably go see your dr if for nothing else a peace of mind...take care and i hope things get better for you
I have had this happen several times this morning! I keep seeing that people have had sinus infections prior to it happening. I too have been having some sinus issues. But I do not go to the doctor anymore about it because this is a constant thing for me (the sinus problems I mean) and the Doc never gives me anything for it they just say drink plenty of fluids and get plenty of rest. I was told that Antibiotics won't treat a sinus infection because it is a viral infection and they only treat bacterial infections. Has anyone heard the same thing or different? Maybe I need to see another doc? The drainage from my right nostril is weird and relieving at the same time! lol But annoying because it happens out of no where! It's one thing to have a stuffy nose and need to blow it in public but to have stuff running out of your nose all of a sudden is rather embarrassing! Doctors really should be more in tune with this happening! I didn't think I would find anything on the internet but so many people are having the same issue!
I got the same watery yellow liquid yesterday and today.It happened when I tried to take a nap at my desk. Suddendly, I felt this unstoppable thing coming out of my left nostril !. Now I'm all freak out cause I just read that it could be CSF( Cerebrospinal fluid) coming out from the brain. It's called CSF fistula. It's like having an open door in the Brain and Nervous system to external infecctions. Anybody heard something about it??
3 days ago, I started with a bright orange watery discharge in left nostril, now on to bright yellow when my head is upside down and I then stand up it runs out.  I also have creaking in my right jaw joint. My upper jaw on the left side hurts like a constant pressure in my teeth. I have been flossing alot to help with the pain. And using ibuprofen.  I did not have a cold or anything.  I just came back from swimmimg in rough surf for 5 days.  Lots of ocean water was pounded up into my nose. My last day there I was "talking out of my nose." I still had no congestion.
This happened to me last year too. My family doc said my sinuses had probably been packed up and this stuff had been up there awhile. (not sure about the science of that answer.) She did put me on antibiotics and it went away. I'm not worried, but I agree with the other comments, an antibiotic is probably the way to go.  Your sinuses are very close to the brain, not worth taking a chance.  Check with your doctors people.
well i ve been reading all your comments......ive had this for a few weeks....the only thing is i dont even have to bend down for it to happen..........i just turned over in bed this morning and a clear yellow liquid came out so fast it made me jump..............i tried catchin it in a tissue but nothing came out wen i sat up but i have white bed sheets and its all over them.............also i have had no other symptoms at all..............no cough no fever no cold no headache no facial pressure..............the only time i get pressure is just before it happens then my nose is very sore for a while after
Just experienced this today. Got hit on the head in rugby and started happening on the pitch. Getting  hit on the head seems to be quite common. Might go to the doctor soon but I doubt they will know the cause or how to stop it.
Posting this on various threads, because they all seem to be about the same thing:

Enjoy :-)

Had the same thing - bright yellow fluid exiting left nostril, but please, nobody panic. I did (panic), and thought I was also leaking csf, but the doc called this evening and said it was probably just a cyst in the sinus cavity that burst for some reason. They're going to take a CT scan of the sinuses just to be sure, but it's probably nothing.

These things are benign more often than not (actually almost always)..; and apparently more common than anyone thought (by reading all the comments on this board). So please do yourselves a favor, relax... take a deep breath, blow your nose and get on with whatever you were doing :-) If I hear any new news after the scan, I'll pass it along.
I have pneumonia symptoms included soar throat, sneezing, headache, stomach ache, and tons of congestion.. and ive been having the watery yellow drainage coming out of my nose everytime i blow it, paper towels full of it.. seems like all the regular mucus comes out first then the yellow stuff comes out at the end.. it does have a urine smell to it.. i went to the urgent care and my doctor and both said its normal but referred it to the green and yellow regular mucus.. i explained that its not the same its very watery and falls right out of my nose especially when i let air into the tissue while blowing.. if i cover the tissue over my whole nostril and dont let any air in it doesnt come out which is weird but after blowing everything out i still feel it there like i still need to blow and more and more yellow stuff comes out.. so i asked the pharmacist where i got my meds and he said its because i have a viral infection and is normal.. one person on here said its UREA liquids from the body but i didnt kno and it concerns me that no one has a straight answer.. ive been sick since 10/23 and its now 11/2 how long is this stuff gonna keep coming out or why cant a doctor even give me a straight answer?? any medical professionals on here that can help??
wow! This is crazy! I never thought there would be so many people experiencing this and from the comments... they go back a couple of years! It is now 2010 almost 2011 and I haven't read a single remedy out of all the comments. I can't afford to visit the doctor and I too was concerned that I may be leaking spinal fluid or something. The light yellowish fluid streams out of my right nostril and the substance is actually leaves a stickiness.  

Someone should contact. DR. OZ to research this matter.  Another unsolved medical mystery!  Stay Tuned!!
This has JUST happened to me and it freaked me right out!!... Mine doesn't have any taste to it (I knwo becuase it also ran down my throat!! YUK) but I noticed yesterday I had crystalized yellow stuff in my nose and it was sticky!!... I am just getting over a Flu... I'm going to go to the doctors to see what they say and i'll repost with what I was told.
I suppose nowadays when we experience any unusual symptoms -like yellow liquid running out of your nose- we run straight to Google. That's what I did and after some peace of mind, I can post my story.  Just right now as I lied down to take a nap I started feeling a buildup of mucus in my nose.  I got up to blow my nose and this yellowish liquid just dripped onto the tissue.  Not snot, or mucus, but yellow-brownish liquid about a 1/4 teaspoon or so.

I am a 25 yr old, male and the only thing I can imagine are one of two things that caused this:

1. I have had a bit of a cold the last couple of weeks; occasional sneezing and greenish snot.  Maybe I do have some sort of sinus infection?

2. I played football today and as I dove for a pass, the guy covering me actually tripped over me and his waist kind of landed on my face. It was nothing brutal, just more of a slight head crush and a hit to the nose.  No liquid out of the nose at that time, but possibly some kind of build up?

It has now been about 15-20 minutes since this happened and I'm feeling fine, breathing fine, maybe a bit of congestion. I just wanted to give someone else the peace of mind that these previous posts have done for me. I have my annual physical in a couple of weeks, so before I go and diagnose myself, I will make sure to bring this up to my physician.
I would love to know what causes this. I've noticed some similarities to my experience in some of the postings.

1. A lot of you mention it happening after antibiotics. I just started taking antibiotics for a bladder infection a few days ago.

2. My jaw has been popping for years now, ever since I had a root canal on the right side, the same side my drainage came out.

3. I have headaches a lot but they are usually fixed by going to the chiropractor. I have been feeling a lot of sinus pressure lately, so I'm not sure if my headaches are from that or from my neck being out of whack or both!

My "yellow nose bleed" happened while I was at physical therapy for my knee, yesterday. I was doing a stretch that requires you to lie on your stomach and pull your heel up to your butt. I was facing the right and my head was slightly tilted, and all of a sudden my nose started pouring. I thought at first it was either a nose bleed (because it was very warm) or it was just normal snot, but it was very watery and when I finally got a tissue I noticed that it was slightly yellow. It was very sticky on my hands (don't worry I washed them!), but I didn't notice an odor. Afterward, I felt a little relief in my sinus pressure, but it is back today. I wish I could get it to do it again!

I did notice it was quite warm yesterday at physical therapy so I guess the change in temperature opened my sinus cavities.

Also, someone posted earlier about their doc saying that it was a build up of urea in their sinus cavities. Makes me wonder if it had anything to do with my bladder infection, maybe my body wasn't processing its waste properly or something.

From what I've read, there seem to be different triggers for everyone. I think it's the body's natural defense system. If I find out anything else I will post. It would be nice to have some more follow-ups posted.

Thanks to all who have posted. It's nice to know you're not alone. Especially when no one you know has had this happen to them! :)
Okay so I was told by my dr that it was just a sinus infection!! THANKFULY!!... but yea.. I was given an antibiotic nasal spary for sinus infections and I havent had the issue happen since my last post!!
Last night I got the same "bloody nose" feeling a few of ya'll spoke about and instead of blood it was this bright yellow liquid dripping out of my nose. Definitly freaked me out a bit...not really used to seeing that color coming out of my nose. I have been recovering from an upper respiratory infection and ear infection so I thought it may be related...though everyone talking about it being CSF got me freaked out enough to go to a doc in a box this morning. The doctor told me that when you get a sinus infection or ear infection the sinus closes up, and when it clears up the sinus opens and may have drainage...the bright yellow was the drainage. He prescribed me some decongestant, steroids, and more antibiotics to make sure everything cleans up nicely.

Hope this helps people out...
Hey I had the exact same thing happen to me 2 days ago, it was so scary. I was bending over picking up mu daughter room and it started pouring out like water! But it was bright highlighter color yellow! I freaked out thinking it was Cerebral spinal fluid from my brain! So i went to the insta care quickly! The doctor told me that she was worried it might be Cerebral spinal fluid when she read my chart before seeing the color of it, but the spinal fluid that coats your brain is clear! She said it is something that gets caught in your sinuses and maybe been there for awhile and then something that is blocking it finally came loose and so it pours out. Also she asked if I had eaten anything that color recently, I couldn't think of anything except a small piece of birthday cake that had yellow trim on the edges, she said it could be a food that got caught under my pallet and stayed there until again something jarred it loose! So no worries it's OK, it was associated with dizziness too but we figure that's my anxiety cause i have bad anxiety and had a bad panic attack when I saw it coming from my nose! I hope this helps re-assure you that it's nothing with your brain, if it's colored!
Yellow liquid comes from nose (one teaspoon app) CAUSE?

Altitude change, heat+altitude change, stress (head pressure), aircraft travel (altitude), anything that causes sinus canals to pressure change wrt pressure, temperature, sinus canal volume. Ear, nose, throat, etc are linked by canals. Your inner/outer ear fills with yellowy wax substance which, when PRESSURE changes (see reasons above) canals open and waxy residue heats inside canals and will run out your nose or down throat or out ear BUT mainly out nose when you lean over. If you climb 1000 ft big pressure changes occur. Massive changes when you climb 10.000 ft. Aircraft fly 35,000 ft+

So any one or combo of the above cause yellowy liquid to run from nose.

If it becomes very painful don't waste your time at doctors. Get MRI scan
or/and visit ENT hospital department.

cure. Swim under water (salty sea water) and flush out your canals.

Dr Wriggles
Here is a new one for you all - my 1 week old baby has gotten a sinus infection (runny nose) from her big brother. It is bright yellow with a nectar like consistency. It's killing me to hear her nose congestion but I know that newborns are unusually resilient to sickness. Her immune system is in top shape and I breastfeed her antibodies I have built up in the last two weeks from her brother. I also have always heard that the more yellow the mucus, the more white blood cells fighting off the infection. Most of these people posting were getting over an illness or on antibiotics or not even feeling bad at all so I just think it's a sign that your immune system in the sinuses is working hard to fight an infection.
hey guys, the same thing happens to me but i had caught the reason for all of that , the reason from my opinion is the sugar

normally, that doesn't happen to me ,but when I eat alot of sugars, my nose begins to give this yellow liquid.

believe me , my opinion is right in my case, I'm a good watcher of myself,
watch yourselves too , may be one or more of you is the same as my case
It has been a huge relief to read through these posts. The other night I had yellow fluid streaming from my nose. During the day I was fine, then the next night I went to my yoga class and as we were starting the bending poses, again, there was yellow fluid came gushing out which lasted about 5 minutes. My yoga mat was covered in drips of yellow fluid (very embarrasing, especially because I had nothing except my top to wipe my nose and mat).
It is interesting to read symptoms that you have becauseI have been feeling lethargic for the past couple of months and have had intermittent ear issues (popping, hearing loss, ringing) lasting only minutes at a time. I have never suffered sinus problems before. But I have not been to the doctors because to me it didn't seem serious. However, I will now make an appointment to see him this week to have a check.
I have been occasionally having this yellow fluid gushing out from my nose especially when bending as described most posts here. I am a Chinese and in my culture, we believe that this is a sign of elemental imbalance in the body, or in other words, we described it as "heat" in the body. To achieve elemental balance, we need to "cool" the body and I follow a very simple remedy to remove the "heat".

#1: During the day, have plenty of water, as much as you can and avoid taking in fluids before you turn in.  
#2: Have plenty of sleep, preferably 7 hours of uninterrupted rest at minimum. That explains the first point, because having too much fluid before you sleep will disrupt your sleep during the night as you might need to rush to the bathroom.
#3: Since there is "heat" in the body, avoid fried foods, burgers, fries, steak etc at all cost because they contribute to the "heat". It will worsen the condition. Have meals that are steamed, or soups, salads.

You will feel well the very next day if the above 3 points are strictly observed. In addition, if you live near any Chinese community or Chinatown, visit the medical hall and asked if they have any herbal tea that can dispel the "heat". The Chinese should know.

If not, the 3 point remedy should get you recovered the next day especially after the good rest.
I just had this too (and when I think about it I've had it several times throughout the years). And goolging in my language (Swedish) gave me "A sinus that has for some reason been shut off (swelling, physical object or snot) can accumulate clear yellowish fluid (where there should be only air) that will drain through nose when the blockage clears."

So from what I read, you should be happy it comes out. If it doesn't it could eventually cause an sinus infection.
I got root canal on the top right of my molar, and then i got this yellow liquid that comes out. This has happened for 2 weeks. HELP!
i am also concerned because i stood up from sitting on a chair and a transparenty orangle liquid came out of my nose, i have also had no injuries or illness recently, it was 3 drips and then it stopped,, no taste to it either, nothing afterwards happened.
Not sure either what the hell that was, I am 47 and now living in China, so you can imagine what was going through my head. I bent over going to the bathroom, thought I had a nose bleed, because I haven't have one in years....not since the old drug snorting days, but i did recently suffer an intestinal infection of some sort, lasted a couple weeks, and now I am feeling tip top and yesterday that nose run happened, and there are no types of Dr.'s here I am familiar with, so I wasn't really panicing, but was a little concerned, but today, no liquid but the yellow-orangish snot, so I am guessing what ever it was is taking caer of itself. No head traumas since a young child, or any illness except for the intestinal infection, so it may be the body working prooerly...LoL, I have to admit I have been eating much differently here than at home, no preservatives here, just fresh healty food, I just have to wash it a little better....LoL, but it could be the toxins being released from the body.
I've had liquid coming out of my nose with a small dip of blood after i was done from freediving, this is the first time it happens to me, well maybe it happened before but i didnt notice it but it only happens while im freediving, could this have something to do with sinuses ? i know that im not allergic to anything, but maybe its just the beggining.
had yellow liquid coming*
Yep, for the first time tonight, yellow liquid sure enough came draining out of my nose.

I know I've had a sinus head cold lately. It's been bad. I've took Mucinex and Sudafed. I feel fine but I know my right ear is infected. This freaked me out but I'm glad I now know what it is. Time for some real medicine.
I had been suffering a cold of which I havent been ill for about 5 years, this one I was bedridden with (hate being ill).  After about a week I started to feel better a little tired but on the mend (have to with kids).  I was bending down changing the cat water and then all this yellow liquid came dripping out of my nose and took me by surprise really.  Whilst trying to explain the scenrio to the doctor's receptionist we both ended up laughing.  The nurse checked my temperature (a little high), blood pressure fine, but cloudiness in one ear.  She then explained that yes it was a sinus infection and now am on a course of 3 times a day for 7 days amoxicilin.  Hope this helps.
Me too! This past Friday I was in the Halloween aisle and I left and had to go blow my nose. Then I seen it..yellow gunk!!! I was like OMG  whats going on with me. I too just got over a head congestion...but Im also having other issues like headaches and stuff. I had this yellow stuff come out of my nose for 2 days. As of right now I dont have any but Im going to go tell my Dr when I go see him this Wednesday.
I am from South Africa,male aged 21, the exact same thing happened to me this morning after taking a bath and blowing my nose and it just came streaming out my left nose uncontrollably which seriously freaked the sh** out of me!! but after reading this i dont see the use in checking with the doctor cause i feel fine now.
> Yep, for the first time tonight, yellow liquid sure enough came
> draining out of my nose.
>
> I know I've had a sinus head cold lately. It's been bad. I've took
> Mucinex and Sudafed. I feel fine but I know my right ear is infected.
> This freaked me out but I'm glad I now know what it is. Time for some
> real medicine.

Did you by any chance use any of the 12-hour nasal sprays that are available over-the-counter, specifically one containing Oxymetazoline HCL?  I recently had this happen to me after fighting the common cold, and this had happened to me once before two years ago, also near the end of a fight with the common cold, but had otherwise never happened to me in my life (I'm in my mid 30s).

Both times the only commonality is that I had used an over-the-counter 12-hour nasal decongestant to help me breathe through my nose, so I'm starting to suspect it might be caused by the Anefrin I used (Walgreens brand)?

I'm not certain yet, so I'm wondering if others who experienced the same symptoms had also used a nasal decongestant sprayed directly into the nose containing Oxymetazoline.
This happens to me twice, and i observed that it's the next day right after I eaten lots of oranges..
i have the same problem but all the time i also do not know what this is
EVERYONE READ the post from wotsupdoc!

Thanks very much!  This is logical & helpful.

I've had a bad cold that went through stages for 8 days until today:
flaming sore throat, head congestion, dry chest cough, loose chest cough, excessive clear nasal mucus
Just when I was able to sleep through last night without coughing & feeling better, I suddenly blew my nose that produced alarmingly thick & BRIGHT YELLOW MUCUS, followed after several major blows with clear mucus again.  My nasal passages & sinuses feel more clear than ever, with a little ache-iness.  I assumed the bright yellow was somehow a sign of final clearing, which "wotsupdoc" seems to have confirmed.  Thanks!
This has just happened to me as well, and what the scariest thing is is that all the people that have reported this seem to have at least one thing in common, eg age, and I had a not unpleasant but sort of bleachy smell up my nose, and was only a few small drips.
That "brain fluid stuff is freaking me out. I have had the problem for like 3 days and have just realised that it is not to be taken lightly. Worse like 20 minutes ago I blew my nose (for like the 3 time this morning) and when i stuffed a tissue in to remove the rest of the snot a little trace of blood was on the tip of it. That "brain fuild" thing is freaking me out. I'm going to the doctor at lunch time!
Thanks Jules for the comment about maybe everyone had been taken over by Aliens.....  so funny and made my day.... by the way.. I had the bright yellow / orange stuff come out of my nose when I bent over....  It's really weird.
I'm not alone with this! I have been very sick for over a week now. Pneumonia, just finished my antibiotics and getting close to being done with two different medicines that I use in a nebulizer. Tonight, I bent down and a clear yellow liquid poured from just my right nostril. I've never had this happen before and it is alarming! It makes me wonder if I still have an infection? Please, keep posting any answers you all get if you go to a Dr! I feel better knowing I'm not alone, and I wish the best for everyone here.
I just took chlorpheniramine  for a rash that the doctor gave me and I just had a steam of yellow liquid from my nose, its happen to me when I go kayaking and am praciting my rolls, but this was random  what should I do, stop taking the meds or go back to the doctor. The pill I just took was a yellow colour  
Can you smell it
I have this effection and my left face,teeth and nose is very pain and then I go and see a doctor and now is not so pain but my left nose can't smell any smell but can breath I'm worry now ... Can I ask you the smell of my nose can be back ?
Mine effection same as you ... Now my left nose can't smell any smell so how are you now u can smell ?  Im worry now
Two or three times over the past several years I've had this same problem - an abrupt release of runny bright yellow or orange fluid from my left nostril.  It can continue for several days, and is particularly annoying when I go to bed or wake up.

The one twist in my case is that the first symptom is terrible tooth pain.  It seems to emanate from the roots of the upper jaw, left side.  The only anodyne I've found for this is a single large dose of guaifenesin (about 800 mg).  This relieves the pressure and pain, and starts the drainage.
i have the exact same problem too, wondering if you found any cure to that?
I am too suprised to see so many people post on this. I had a major sinus surgery Feb.04,2013. After a few weeks of recovery and feeling better, a few days ago I had the same odd yellow water pour out of my nose. Alarmed I called my Dr., I also had been experiencing this odd smell I couldn't figure out what it was. The Dr. told me in my situation it was not uncommon, he did however give me a great nasal rinse. It is a saline solution injected with a mild steroid and an antibiotic, I use an oral siringe 10 mil. twice a day, he gave this to me yesterday and aready the phantom smell is almost gone, no yellow drainage today, it did happen once after the Dr. appointment.
Hi, I am also experiencing the bright yellow fluid dripping from my left nostril. But it seems to drip no matter what I am doing. (ie: don't need to be bent over). I am trying to get over a cold and initially thought my nose was running because of the cold, but then I noticed that my right side was running clear, and my left side was running bright yellow.
I have read other posts from people with similar issues, and I also suffer from migraines. I have also noticed that I am suffering from a reoccurring headache on the left side of my head (same side as the nostril that is dripping yellow).
I am making an appointment with my dr ASAP because I am tired of this and need it to be dealt with. Good luck to everyone else this type of health issue!
I started to have this sort of situation occurring to me for the past 2 days, but mine is weird, my left side produce a yellowish fluid, the right side produce a colorless fluid, like the normal flu, is it serious?
This yellow watery liquid drops from my nose whenever i get up from a long time bent position and also i have been witnessing involuntary movement of the muscles by the left side of my neck
i think the problem is putting drugs up your nose. i had this and thats what causes this
This can be cerebrospinal fluid