Alternative Therapies Community
Alternative treatments for pain

WELCOME TO THE ALTERNATIVE THERAPIES COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Acupuncture, Aromatherapy, Biofeedback, Chelation Therapy, Chinese Medicine, Dance-Movement Therapy, Medical Marijuana, Feng Shui, Heliotherapy, Reflexology, Unani, Vitamin Therapy, and Yoga Therapy.

Alternative treatments for pain

My 62 year old mother suffers greatly from a type of neuropathic pain that occurs in her feet producing a burning sensation on the tips of her feet. Now she's recently been diagnosed with plantar factitious in her left foot.  Now she's in pain on the top and bottom of her feet. She's on heavy pain meds that are not good for her ie: morphine. I want to know what kind of treatment there is for her and her condition besides turning to the pain meds. I am a big believer in eastern medicine, eastern culture and philosophy's. I'm a Buddhist and a practitioner of mindfullness based awareness and meditation. I would greatly appreciate a response I love my mother so very much and hate seeing her suffer in pain like this! Thank you.
Tags: alternative treatment for pain, Treatment for pain
Plantar fasciitis means that the connective tissue between your heel and the base of your toes is inflamed, probably from overuse. Sometimes all it takes to ease the pain is what your doctor recommended: common anti-inflammatories and maybe an over-the-counter heel insert.
But if your pain continues, you may also want to consider a few other treatments that actually address the cause of the injury, instead of just relieving the pain.
Get some rest: Whatever you've been doing to stress your heel, cut back.  your most strenuous exercises until you feel better. This is relative rest, not absolute rest, so don't worry, you're not bedridden.
Do heel stretches: Exercising your heels increases their flexibility, making you less vulnerable to another overuse injury later on. Try this one: Hold both ends of a towel in your hands, place the ball of your foot on the middle of the towel, and then slowly extend your leg outward.
Another exercise you can try is to Roll your foot back and forth over a soup can for a minute at least twice a day.
Use orthotic inserts: Customized shoe inserts can work wonders. They're pricey (usually $200 to $300), but in many cases they're well worth it. Your primary doctor, foot doctor, or orthopedist will usually know someone who makes these.
Consider wearing a night splint: These range in price from $40 to $100, and you can find them online google footsmart. Night splints work by holding your foot in a slightly flexed position, relieving the affected area and giving it a chance to heal.  Some people swear by them. Other people balk at the idea of wearing this somewhat cumbersome device in bed. But if you're in pain, it's worth it.
Some doctors suggest injecting a shot of steroids into the affected area. I won't say this can't relieve the pain, but it should be used as a last resort, if at all. Steroid injections deposit crystals in your connective tissue, which can weaken it and increase your risk of a similar injury later on. Most people don't like the idea of having a needle stuck in their foot anyway, so they pass on the injections, and I recommend that you do the same, unless you and your doctor decide there is no other way.
Be patient, because it can take weeks or even months for plantar fasciitis to clear up entirely, whether you use all of these cures or just one. But you'll be surprised by how quickly things can improve to a tolerable level if you use the right combination of therapies.  
As for the Neuropathic pain try benfotiamine it's (S-benzoylthiamine-O-monophosphate). Google benfotiamine As always check with her doctor first.
For Pain in feet and heels.
Soak a spoonful of fenugreek(methi) seeds in water, overnight, and eat the seeds daily in the morning.
Daily before bedtime rub oil (mustard,olive oil etc) on the navel.
Do anulom vilom pranayam(alternate nostril breathing) for more than 15 minutes, twice a day.
Massage the calf muscles.
Bend and release the toes of the feet, for one minute.
Bend both feet forwards and backwards, while inhaling and exhaling through the nose, for about one minute.
The pain will be forgotten, while engaged with all this activity.
February 24 ,2012
Plantar fascitis is painful, I may have it, but it certainly isn't enough to require morphine.  If the pain is so great she needs morphine this isn't related to plantar fascitis.  This is nerve pain.  If it's the plantar fascitis causing the nerve pain, Gymdandee gives very good advice, since if the inflammation is eliminated, presumably so will the nerve pain.  Icing and elevating are helpful as well, or so they say.  Acupuncture is said to be good for nerve pain.  Small amounts of B6 and St. John's Wort can help with nerve pain, as can the homeopathic form of St. John's Wort, hypericum.  If the nerve pain is coming from somewhere else, the question is, where?  Diabetes and gout can cause this.  Arthritis can cause it.  Bone spurs can cause it.  Knowing the cause, you can then go to a naturopath, or an ayurvedic physician, or a practitioner of traditional Chinese medicine, and tackle it naturally if you like.  But as I say, if it's so bad she's on morphine, something is going on that hasn't been diagnosed yet.
And I should add, she can try taking a magnesium supplement -- a magnesium deficiency is common in the US due to medication and due to an excess of calcium consumption, particularly in dairy, which leaches out magnesium.  Magnesium relaxes the nerves.
Hi,Latest research results indicate that acupuncture can provide pain relief to patient with plantar fasciitis, and that PC 7 is a relatively specific acupoint for heel pain.(source:Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2009 Nov 23)