Alternative Therapies Community
Bad breath and congested throat

WELCOME TO THE ALTERNATIVE THERAPIES COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Acupuncture, Aromatherapy, Biofeedback, Chelation Therapy, Chinese Medicine, Dance-Movement Therapy, Medical Marijuana, Feng Shui, Heliotherapy, Reflexology, Unani, Vitamin Therapy, and Yoga Therapy.

Bad breath and congested throat

Is there any home remedy for bad breath and congested throat?
I chew on mint leaves or parsley for breath sweetness.

Watch your diet. avoid onions and garlic, which contain sulfur compounds that gives your breath a strong odor. Cheese, orange juice, and soda
(and diet soda) can also cause bad breath.
Brush after eating and before going to bed, and floss once a day to remove food particles that can decompose and attract bacteria. Try Crest Plus Scope toothpastes, which combine toothpaste and mouthwash.
Colgate makes the Wisp a disposable mini toothbrush that comes with toothpaste and can be used without water.
Drink water. Even if you don't eat for hours, at least drink water to help wash away food particles and bacteria. In fact, people get "morning breath" because there's less saliva in their mouths during the night to wash away bacteria.
MintAssure, an all-natural breath pill that contains parsley seed oil and natural peppermint flavoring.
See your doctor a medical condition, such as a sinus or lung infection, postnasal drip, or diabetes, may be to blame.
I would say, if you use Crest or Scope or other drugstore products, well, better to have bad breath than consume what's in these products -- lots of healthy mouthwashes and toothpastes in your local health food store that work just as well if not better.  And while garlic and onions affect the breath sometimes, they are so healthy that avoiding them, again, is a bad tradeoff.  Not to mention sacrificing all that flavor!  Bad breath usually comes from poor digestion, and congested throat from allergies.  Do you chew your food well before swallowing?  Saliva is the first step in proper digestion.  If you can't determine what you're eating that's causing the problem, then digestive enzymes can be helpful, but a full-spectrum one, not one that just digests protein such as papaya.  Any food with chlorophyll, such as the parsley mentioned above, or just chlorophyll itself, will help the breath.  As for the throat, see if it happens when you consume a certain food or are in a particular place to see if you can find what you're allergic to.  Eliminating wheat and dairy often does the trick for this problem.  Good luck.
All of the above, and avoid dairy. Seriously.
I think you may have tonsil stones..  Check with your ears/nose and throat
specialist.
Tonsil stones develop when small particle of food and bacteria collect in/behind the tonsils( even if you had your tonsils out, they can grow back in time). Adenoids (adenoids) can become enlarged and collect particles and bacteria.You might also have wrinkles in your throat that can collect these same particles and bacteria.
The result can be, and was for me, tonsil stones. Sometimes called tonsilliths They are not really stones. They are small pebble like soft material, various size and shape pieces of particles of food and bacteria that build up to create a bad breath and taste. As the stones get too large to stay where they are, they break up and come out. This might be where you feel like your throat is congested. For me, when they broke up, often the larger pieces would feel like something caught in my throat. No amount of garbling or throat clearing would clear the feeling.  I just had to deal with it.
Sooner or later they would clear out, My breath would get fresh again till the stones redeveloped and began to break up again. Then The cycle would start all over....
It wasn't until after much research of my own and then after a number of Dr. and Ears/Nose and throat specialist visits, I finally got relief..
I had my adenoids (adenoids) and regrown tonsils removed.  After The recovery of my surgery, I was free of bad breath and the need to swallow and gargle constantly . I don't know if this is what you are experiencing. but for those who do.  Look into this.  I know how difficult it is to live with this problem.
   I hope this helped!