Alternative Therapies Community
Best way to taper off 60mg Celexa

WELCOME TO THE ALTERNATIVE THERAPIES COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Acupuncture, Aromatherapy, Biofeedback, Chelation Therapy, Chinese Medicine, Dance-Movement Therapy, Medical Marijuana, Feng Shui, Heliotherapy, Reflexology, Unani, Vitamin Therapy, and Yoga Therapy.

Best way to taper off 60mg Celexa

I am on 60mg of Celexa and was wondering the best way to taper off. I have a psychiatrist and he is aware. He told me we'll keep going down 10mg per month, but from what I've been reading that doesn't seem to be the correct way. I have been feeling nauseous and have a horrible headache on the left side of my head, it's only the 3rd day I've been on 50mg. Any suggestions?
-Jill
The taper depends on you as an individual, not some generalized person.  The taper suggested is a slow one, but if it's too fast for you, it's too fast for you.  Only you can tell how bad it is and only you can tell your psychiatrist how bad it is.
Well to be honest, my psychiatrist is a moron. I don't say that because we disagree, we don't. He always has to look things up in the med book or online when I ask him any sort of question, and he refills my Adderall (adderrall) scripts too early (there is a history of drug abuse in my immediate family). The reason I was asking here is because I don't trust him. He had to look up what serotonin syndrome was.
Well, good that he looks things up -- the psychiatrist who ruined my life wouldn't do any homework.  On the other hand, if he's a moron, well, a moron psychiatrist ruined my life!  So if you don't trust him, please, find another one you do trust -- trust me on this one!
He's my fourth. Trial and error is exhausting.
I know -- the moron factor seems to be high with psychiatrists.  They just seem to be lazy and avoidant, no?
look up dhealthstore online for healing.  ty.
Hi Jill,
If you are in pain and it says in your post you are, you should go and make an appointment to see your family doctor. I've heard about Celexa. As it
happens I decided to look up "Celexa" in my book called The Canadian
Guide to Drugs and Supplements published by Reader's Digest.
The product name for Celexa apparently is " Citalopram" according to
the book. It's a tricyclicantidepressant. The best person to see is your
family doctor. Even if the psychiatrist gave you a prescription for Celexa
which it sounds like is the case, your doctor can give you suggestions on how to taper off this medication. If you're feeling naseous and you say you have a headache on the left side of your head, in my opinion, you need to be seen by your family doctor not the psychiatrist. I am takig an antidepressant myself. Here's what the book says " When treatment is stopped, the dose should be gradually reduced over several weeks because withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms may occur if they are stopped suddenly.
Your family doctor who knows your personal medical history is the best person to help you get off this drug safely. Hope this advice has been helpful. Good luck, Jill024.
Is 10mg 1/2 a pill? If so try 1/4 of a pill. Thats always how I've been told to do it. Get yourself into a peaceful environment though. The idea is that you're feeling better and thats why you can come down on the drug. Do it slowly though, a cut should go slow. Let your body adjust and try to relax.