Alternative Therapies Community
CALCIUM/MAGNESIUM RATIO

WELCOME TO THE ALTERNATIVE THERAPIES COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Acupuncture, Aromatherapy, Biofeedback, Chelation Therapy, Chinese Medicine, Dance-Movement Therapy, Medical Marijuana, Feng Shui, Heliotherapy, Reflexology, Unani, Vitamin Therapy, and Yoga Therapy.

CALCIUM/MAGNESIUM RATIO

AFTERNOON everyone, I posted this also on the Complimentary Medicine Community...not sure where it should be??

I am looking for info on the proper Calcium and Magnesium ratio ...with taking extra Magnesium besides whats in the Vitamin already.

Also does anyone know if Vitamin D is needed for absorption?

thanks
Hello there,

The daily intake of magnesium should be 500mg and calcium should be about the same but calcium is present in a lot of food so calcium supplement shouldn't be considered unless you suffer from a deficiency if you have a healthy diet.

Vitamin D will help the absorption of both calcium and phosphorus while vitamin B6 will increase magnesium retention.

What i suggest to you is the Ester-C vitamin C which contain calcium and a vitamin B complex both bought from a food supplement store and a vitamin D as well.

Best regards,
M4
thx for the reply....I do take Vitamin D 2000 mg a day recommended by my psych.
I am on so many other meds at every 6-7 hr intervals..and Calcium can only be taken 4 hrs after or 2 hrs before..very difficult to fit in, therefore often gets missed.
However when I can fit it in I take(usually only the 1 capsule) of 333mg(citrate)...it has 137mg Magnesium and I add another 150mg.
I also take 1-2000 mg of C
Do you think I am taking enough of each?.I have osteoarthritis.
Supplement wise i think it's ok but It’s a good idea to increase complex carbohydrates, dietary fiber, fruits, vegetables and nuts. Increasing cold water fish for an essential fatty acid source ( Omega-3 ) including salmon, mackerel, sardines and herring is a good idea. Avoid saturated fats and trans fatty acids. Follow a low-fat diet, but one that is proportionately rich in good fatty acids, such as the omega 3’s mentioned above, and also gamma linolenic acid (found in black currant seed oil, borage oil and evening primrose oil). Boron-rich foods include alfalfa, lettuce, peas, cabbage, apples, dates, prunes, raisins, almonds and hazelnuts.

Following the suggested advice plus taking the supplement you take now and you should be just fine. Think about what i said about getting that Ester-C 1,000mg Vitamin C with calcium in it, it's expansive ( about 25$ for 120 pills ) but it's a great Vitamin C, especially for you.

There's very little calcium in Ester-C, just enough to buffer the C so it doesn't upset the stomach and improves absorption.  The recommended ratio for a calcium supplement for the average person is 2:1 calcium to magnesium.  If you want more magnesium for a specific purpose there are formulas that have a 1:1 ratio or 2:1 magnesium to calcium.  The most absorbable forms are probably citrate or malate for the calcium and citrate for the magnesium, though some are now high on the taurate form.  All minerals should be taken with meals for best absorption.  A proper amount of Vitamin D is essential for the absorption of calcium, as is boron, as mentioned above, but you're taking a ton of D and it's stored in fatty tissue, so you have way more than enough.  For most people a half hour in the sun a couple of times a week is enough D for minimal purposes, but many of us need more, especially now that we've been told to stay out of the sun.  D should also be taken with meals for maximum absorption, as it is fat soluble.  What I do, because I take an ssri which tends to give people muscle cramps, and I does me, is take a 1:1 formula, or sometimes a 2:1, though I don't want to overdo it -- too much of either calcium or magnesium will leach the other out of the body, as they maintain a precise electrical balance on either side of bone tissue.  
Whenever you see Ester you have to be careful...as Paxiled stated..

"There's very little calcium in Ester-C, just enough to buffer the C so it doesn't upset the stomach and improves absorption."

Ester is a chemical compound found in nature but has also been reproduced in different chemical forms...  its only function is to create better absorbtion, better flavor, better odor.

Almost all ready to eat foods have some form of the Ester compound, it just doesn't say Ester. Instead it will give the name of the Ester compound used  e.g.  isoamyl acetate,  ethyl acetate,  benzyl acetate and many many more.
Ester-C is just a trade name.  The word ester means certain fat soluble compounds, but Ester-C isn't fat soluble, it's just C bound with either calcium or other minerals to make what's called ascorbate, or ascorbic acid (vitamin C) bound with (or chelated) minerals to buffer the C.  This is often confused with Vitamin C Ester, or ascorbyl palmitate, which is a man-made, in other words not found in nature, fat soluble form of Vitamin C that is often found in skin products because it doesn't oxidize as quickly on contact with air.  Natural Vitamin C is water soluble, as is Ester-C, which again is just a trademark.  Lots of companies make the exact equivalent of Ester-C but just call it buffered Vitamin C.  
wow that is alot to absorb!...but very helpful. I thank you all for the info.