Alternative Therapies Community
Hiccups gone immediately - is this an acupressure point?

WELCOME TO THE ALTERNATIVE THERAPIES COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Acupuncture, Aromatherapy, Biofeedback, Chelation Therapy, Chinese Medicine, Dance-Movement Therapy, Medical Marijuana, Feng Shui, Heliotherapy, Reflexology, Unani, Vitamin Therapy, and Yoga Therapy.

My son developed a sudden, painful attack of hiccups last night. I had read somewhere that pressing your fingers into the hollows behind your ear lobes could end an attack of hiccups. He tried it, and it worked immediately!

Does anyone know if this is a specific acupressure point? I don't see it on any charts.

I'm certainly going to remember this the next time I have hiccups. I've never seen anything work so quickly to stop hiccups!
I dont but tell you what works in my house , crunch on a small spoonful of sugar ..white or brown ...
Yes, I have used sugar to stop hiccups in the past.
Its strange the way it doesnt work for every body  I dont know if a low blood sugar starts the hiccoughs in thge first place and the sugar ilifts the level or the crunching effect ..but it works for us .Have you tried it on your son? how is he doing today , sneezing is what I hate it jolts my whole body ..lol and its allergy time ...
Amazing. Thank you both.
  I had the opportunity to test the pressure point treatment on my own hiccups two nights ago. Worked like a charm!
It could be an acupuncture point. Sometimes an acupuncture point appears only when the body is not healthy; and once the body has recovered the point will 'disappear'. However, points on the ear usually don't have specific names. But thanks for sharing this information, I really need it. =)
I think the point is Yi Feng.
   I just realized my original post is a bit unclear. The pressure point is against the skull, in the hollows just below the skullbone, behind the ear lobes. You would press into your skull, not against your earlobes. Hope that's more understandable. You could also say the hollows just above the joint at the top of the jawbone, behind the ears.
Thanks, Maliya for that info, didn't know that!
earlobe and surrounding areas are sure and safe acupressure points for cure of hiccups . as a reflexologist i suggest that before taking medicines we try these holistic science and naturopathy methods
To All,
Hollow below the ear lobe in the scull,Our side cente point of the ear and below the upper part of the ear are three points for improving hearing. It is said that ear has 300 acupuncture points.
Many years back, i was inserted two needles in my ears to stop the urge to smoke. However it did not work. Now I am 80. I stopped smoking at 75. I stopped as cold turkey without any technique or procedure.By chance i had no cigaret-stock with me for 24 hours. So i thought to know how long i can resist smoking. In last 5 years  I have take 6 puffs to light cigs for my friend who could not light his Cig under the fan. These puffs did not lure me to smoke further. I was lucky to get rid of the nasty habit. I smoked for 50 years and must have tried to leave smokening 50/100 times. If expert acupuncturist treats, it is possible to treat with ear points as well.
Yes. The acupuncture point is called Yi Feng. It is known for alleviating hiccups.
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. Hiccups for 30 minutes, cured in 3 seconds!!
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
You're Welcome, times three! Glad it worked for you! Isn't it amazing?
omg what a great piece of advice thank you so very much my daughter gets the hiccups and it lasts for days i just read you post and went straight to her put the oressure on and thy went away i actually think when i first did it it went away but i waited for 30 seconds just to make sure my daughter has had this problem since birth and i have been so trying to find a cure or help to stop it. i am just new to reflexology but i am here for life now
I will give this a try as I have the same issue and let you know.
Thank you.
Holy cow!!!! Amazing!  I just tried this and it worked immediately! ! It also seemed to calm my lo immediately!!
Was this chronic for you may I ask?
OMG!! My dad has been suffering with chronic hiccups for days - following a car accident that broke his sternum. We just tried this and it worked! So grateful!!!!!
Wow!!! This really works.  It worked on my cynical 12 yo daughter in front of my cynical 18 yo daughter and my cynical wife performed by skeptical me! THANKS.
San Jiao 17. It is not used for hiccoughs, however it is possible that hiccoughs are a symptom of an underlying problem that this point is good for. Traditionally good for vision and hearing as well as tremors, involuntary ticks, facial paralysis etc.
While there are better options for hiccoughs, there will be situations where hiccoughs are a symptom of a particular internal situation that is resolved by SJ17. I would not imagine this particular point to work on more than 10 - 20% of hiccough cases.