Alternative Therapies Community
How can i raise my GABA levels naturally?

WELCOME TO THE ALTERNATIVE THERAPIES COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Acupuncture, Aromatherapy, Biofeedback, Chelation Therapy, Chinese Medicine, Dance-Movement Therapy, Medical Marijuana, Feng Shui, Heliotherapy, Reflexology, Unani, Vitamin Therapy, and Yoga Therapy.

Hi all, i have just done a questionaire to see where i have any deficiencies and it turns out i have a strong GABA deficiency.  So could anyone advise me on how to raise my levels naturally either with food or supplements please.  Thank-you.
GABA is not well absorbed, as it doesn't cross the brain/blood barrier well.  The best way to increase GABA is to take taurine, a quasi-amino acid that manufactures GABA in the body along with cofactors such as B6.  Another amino acid, tyrosine, might also be helpful.
Most important is to avoid excitotoxins in your food. These include MSG, aspartame,
hydrolyzed proteins, vegetable protein, isolated protein, soy products (including soy protein isolates, soy protein and soy milk), natural flavoring, sodium or calcium caseinate and others. All of these food additives worsen brain excitation and have been shown to specifically target the amygdala nucleus a set of neurons in the brain’s temporal lobe. They are key to the processing of emotions.
Increase your vegetable intake to at least 5 servings a day. Many of the flavonoids in
vegetables have been shown to reduce anxiety especially hesperidin, quercetin and curcumin. All three are available as supplements. The dose is 250 mg. of each three times a day. Quercetin comes in a water-soluble form. Otherwise it must be dissolved
in either fish oil or extra-virgin olive oil.
Reduce your intake of fats — especially saturated fats and omega-6 fats (vegetable oils,
such as corn, safflower, peanut, sunflower, soybean and canola oils). Studies have shown
that animals on high-fat diets release more cortisol and take longer to recover from stress than those on low-fat diets.
Magnesium is the body’s natural calmative agent. It reduces excitotoxicity and when taken at bedtime, it aids sleep. It also reduces the immune over-reactivity seen with anxiety disorders. In addition, it reduces your risk of heart disease, stroke and type-2 diabetes (and metabolic syndrome).
White tea contains a flavonoid called epigallocatechin gallate. This flavonoid has recently been shown to calm the brain and reduce anxiety. It works by activating the organ’s most
protective system against anxiety — the gammaaminobutyric acid (GABA) receptor. This aids sleep as well. White tea has a higher level of this flavonoid and much less fluoride than green tea.
For those who do not want to take a pharmaceutical drug, the herb valerian has been shown to activate the same calming brain GABA receptor. It has been used to induce sleep but also calms anxiety during the day. It should not be mixed with medications that act as sedatives or tranquilizers.
Another useful product is called Relora. It is a blend of two extracts — Phellodendron
amurense and Magnolia officinalis. In a number of tests, Relora has been shown to reduce excess cortisol levels associated with stress while improving mood and reducing stress. It acts via the brain’s GABA and serotonin systems, which are both important in controlling anxiety.
Avoid caffeine. People with anxiety disorders hyper react to stimulants, such as caffeine. They can also worsen insomnia.
Hi thank's for all the info, i have ordered an actual GABA supplement, so along with dietary changes i will take this and see how it goes. Cheers.... also gona order some magnesium when i have more cash..... :0)
Meditation can also help increase GABA levels.
Hi Julie I am just learning about natural methods of dealing with my ADHD and anxiety.  My goal is to come off my prescription drugs and use holistic methods to improve my lifestyle.  I did a lot of reading on GABA.  After trying it out can you tell me if you felt a positive outcome?