Alternative Therapies Community
IBS and Medical Cannabis

WELCOME TO THE ALTERNATIVE THERAPIES COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Acupuncture, Aromatherapy, Biofeedback, Chelation Therapy, Chinese Medicine, Dance-Movement Therapy, Medical Marijuana, Feng Shui, Heliotherapy, Reflexology, Unani, Vitamin Therapy, and Yoga Therapy.

IBS and Medical Cannabis

I've been dealing with IBS for the past 10 years and have been informally diagnosed for two years.  In the past 24 hours, I have been surfing the net for information about IBS and came across info linked to medical marijuana on the matter.  Through further investigation, I have realized that medical marijuana and IBS have been a common, or seemingly growing trend in legal medical marijuana states.  
I currently live in Arizona, and as many of you may now know, it has become the 15th state to legalize medical marijuana.  
My question (to a doctor, before I visit a doctor in person) is, would you say that the pain, bloating, and severe discomfort due to IBS be significantly treated by Marijuana?
*I have had experience with marijuana in the past, and am aware of the "relaxing" effect of it.  Also, since IBS is partly triggered by anxiety and/or nerves, would this be a very effective form of treating my problems?  (I have issues with constipation by not being able to "go" days at a time, and when I do "go" it's very "fluent" and uncomfortable.  It also affects my social life, since I tend to stay home to avoid GI issues in public)  
Can someone advise me and inform me (from a medical aspect) about cannibis use for such disorders?  Thanks.

- A very concerned and curious IBS treatment seeker
We're not doctors here, so if you want a doctor's opinion, this isn't the place.  We're just folks interested in alternative medicine.  My own opinion is it's best to treat the IBS than to palliate it.  A naturopath or holistic nutritionist can help you do this naturally.  Marijuana is very unpredictable in how it will affect anyone, as are all psychotropic substances.  But things like aloe vera juice and digestive enzymes and DGL and the like have specific substances that may help with the mucousal lining of the intestinal tract and with going to the bathroom, as can diet, so there are things that are specific to what ails you as opposed to something that might make it not bother you because you're palliated.  As for medical MJ, it's used for virtually everything, so only trying it will let you know if it'll help you.  One caveat -- it can make anxious people more anxious, so be aware of that.  Good luck to you, but if you want to talk to a doc about this, this isn't the right forum forum for that.
Thanks for the heads up, Paxiled.  With the extensive diets, I must say that they did help a great deal with regulating my bowel movements, but the anxiety persists (as many IBS patients may know).
I do use marijuana (on a limited weekly basis - once or twice a week), and I have found that my nerves do calm after a little bit of smoking.  In no way, shape, or form do I abuse the substance, nor am I a long-term smoker.  I have stopped voluntarily on and off in the course of two years.  I tried it after a friend with Crohn's Disease recommended it.  
Since I own a company, I have to be functional, but with IBS...my social life, as well as productivity is being tested.  
I would like to ask a doctor if Medical MJ (since I use it on my own) would be a very acceptable route, considering my lifestyle.  I just don't want to get a bad look from my doctor, and create a sort of off-putting situation (for either of us).
In any case, I still am pursuing further testing and evaluation.