Side effects ?
Hi Guys, does stevia have any side effects , I told my DD to try stevia instead of splenda as it has such a bad rap , and she tells me she has some symptoms like tiredness /achy legs..I looked in the search engine and didn't find much .thanks a lot .
       from righthealth     Stevia is a type of plant which belongs to the family of Asteraceae. There are actually many side effects of stevia. Those could be lowering of your blood sugar and blood pressure levels, stabilizing blood sugar,, low blood pressure. It has also shown a significant damage to Metabolism. It also causes interference with the absorption of carbohydrates in the body, which results in a hampered conversion of food into energy. There are also some Reproductive Issues been brought by many users of stevia. Few imply that sperm production and the weight of the seminal vesicles drastically reduced and stevioside could easily result in infertility. It also shown that people are prone to some kind of cancer by using this kind of product. stevioside derivative steviol can be converted into a genetically mutated compound and the mutation automatically leads to cancer. It has been indicated that stevia extract stevioside may cause health problems to the consumer. Headaches and nausea are some of the most prominent

FROM  Stevia   There are no really confirmed negative Stevia side effects for humans. However, Stevia is forbidden as a food additive in the European Union and some other countries, because many people say that there are still not enough confirmed studies confirming that Stevia is not harmful in any way.

In addition the lack of affirmative evidence, there have actually been several experiments with rats and similar animals that showed a toxic reaction to Stevia, particularly in male rats. The results weren’t dramatic, but they were certainly strong enough to wake some concerns. Now, that being said, these studies have been highly criticized on procedural grounds. AKA: The way the data was handled was misleading;

In these studies the dose of Steviol – The substance in Stevia that people worry about- was WAY too high. They gave the rats an amount of concentrated Steviol equal to if a human ate half of his weight in Stevia leafs every day. With that much of a chemical, even sugar would be dangerous! If you calculate the daily consumption of Stevia to replace the average daily sugar consumption, a human would eat 4 gram of Stevia leafs – Not nearly half the weight of a human body.

Stevia has been a healing plant and a sweetener for the Indigo people for hundreds of years and has been used in Japan and Brazil to sweeten lolly pop candies, coke drinks and many other foods for about 30 years so far. The USA allows “Reb A” (a sweetener made of stevia) since 2008 as food additive.

So after all these studies, no REAL negative Stevia side effects have been seen yet. This is an additional sign that there are just no bad effects from Stevia on humans. Of course, optimally there would be more studies in progress, but the problem is, as always, the money.
She has complained of lethargy mostly  she drinks maybe 4-5 cups of tea /coffee a day with it in .I think its a sachet equivalent of 1 tsp in each cup.I will tell her what you have told me thanks a lot .... .
Something else may be causing her symptoms. Many in my family use stevia with no ill effects.
First of all, make sure it's pure stevia and not a chemical derivative she's using.  There can be a big difference between using stevia leaf pure and using stevia prepared products.  Second, has she ever thought that drinking all that caffeine is what's doing it?  That's a lot of up and then crashing down; some can handle speed, some can't.