Alternative Therapies Community
Supplements to help avoid calcium oxalate kidney stones .....

WELCOME TO THE ALTERNATIVE THERAPIES COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Acupuncture, Aromatherapy, Biofeedback, Chelation Therapy, Chinese Medicine, Dance-Movement Therapy, Medical Marijuana, Feng Shui, Heliotherapy, Reflexology, Unani, Vitamin Therapy, and Yoga Therapy.

What are your thoughts on Vitamin B6 & magnesium for the prevention of calcium oxalate kidney stones.  I cannot take Urocit K because of terrible GI side effects, so my Urologist suggested this to help disuade them from forming.  My calcium levels are normal.  I have a condition called MSK (Medullary Sponge Kidney) that predisposes me to producing calcium oxalate or calcium oxalate/phosphorous stones.

I avoid all oxalate containing foods and don't take any extra calcium supplements or antacids containing calcium

Thanks.

C~
Hello there,

This is exactly what you should be doing. B6 have an anti-oxalate propriety and magnesium counterbalance calcium.

One herbs mix you can try is Gokshura, Dhania Leaves and Cornsilk combo. This combo can be bought into one bottle formula called Rencare. You might also want to check out for Enzymatic Therapy, Asparagus Extract or Christopher's Original Formula, Kidney Formula. If you already include magnesium into your diet it would be a good idea to check the ingredients of the products i suggested to keep a 500mg magnesium max per day.

Finally it is very very important you drink at least 2 liter of water a day. When i say water it's water, not juice or other beverage.

Best regards,
M4
While there are many types of kidney stones,
the most common is the calcium oxalate stone. The risk of passing another stone is 10% within a year, 35% within 5 years and 50% after that.
One condition associated with renal stones is hyperparathyroidism (a disease in which the parathyroid gland becomes enlarged and overactive,
secreting too much hormone). Your doctor should test for this.
Kidney stones can also be caused by small bowel disease, urinary tract infections, kidney malformations and gout, among other things. Chronic acidosis can produce calcium phosphate stones. If your stone is a calcium oxalate stone, you can
best combat it by: Taking magnesium supplements every day (500 mg. of magnesium citrate/malate twice a day) Eating five servings of vegetables a day
 Avoiding excessive meat in your diet AND Taking 50 mg. of vitamin B6 a day
Your doctor may mistakenly tell you to avoid vitamin C, thinking it will trigger the formation of calcium oxalate crystals in the urine. But this has been proven to be untrue. Just use magnesium ascorbate as your source of vitamin C. One newer study revealed that combining potassium and magnesium reduced the risk of recurrent calcium oxalate stones by 85% over the three years the study was conducted. And conclusive
analysis shows that taking 200 mg. of calcium with each meal dramatically reduces the risk of developing a calcium oxalate stone. That’s because the calcium
combines with the oxalic acid in food, which prevents it from being absorbed.
something that really helps me to keep passing stones is braggs apple cider vinegar. I drink about 2 tbl a day mixed in water.  It also helps keep the uric acid passed through so that the gout does not flare up.
I drink the 2 tlb a day straight
Celery seed extract is good for gout, and Herb Pharm makes a good urinary tract tincture.
Thanks for this interesting info ... all of it!

C~