Alternative Therapies Community
Too much pepto bismol?

WELCOME TO THE ALTERNATIVE THERAPIES COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Acupuncture, Aromatherapy, Biofeedback, Chelation Therapy, Chinese Medicine, Dance-Movement Therapy, Medical Marijuana, Feng Shui, Heliotherapy, Reflexology, Unani, Vitamin Therapy, and Yoga Therapy.

Too much pepto bismol?

Hello

I recentl took some Pepto bismol max as directed..2 TBS every hr or so as need. I took a dose at 7pm, 8pm and 10pm. The only thing I had was an upset stomach. When I woke up, my stomach ache was worse, i felt nauseous and I had diarrhea ( which I didnt have before). Please help! Could it be that I took too much of it?
Indigestion is generally thought to be due to too much acid. However the cause is often too little acid, so, when an antacid is taken for relief, it makes the condition worse. The next time you have an upset stomach try taking one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.

Nausea is common when lack of acid slows or halts digestion.
The other problem with antacids are that, though they can work for some immediate relief, the stomach needs acid to digest protein, and so antacids can have a rebound effect where the stomach produces more acid to compensate for the reduction.  On the other hand, this also could have just been your digestive system getting rid of whatever was bothering it in the first place.
Pepto Bismal contains the toxic and bactricidal substance Bismuth. It is not a simple "antacid".

Chances are it will work it's way out of your system.
A tiny bit of baking soda in water helps with an upset stomach ...You would have to google to see what the ratio of baking soda to water is. I think its something like a quarter of a teaspoon to an 8 ounce glass of water, but I'm not sure, so its best to check it out for yourself.

Or maybe Paxiled could answer that for you?
An old-fashioned remedy for an upset stomach is to simmer a couple of bay leaves and add a pinch of sugar. Take by the  teaspoon as hot as possible.
Another remedy is anise tea. You make it by brewing anise seed. It is given to babies with colic in many parts of the world.