Alternative Therapies Community
Weekly Article

WELCOME TO THE ALTERNATIVE THERAPIES COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Acupuncture, Aromatherapy, Biofeedback, Chelation Therapy, Chinese Medicine, Dance-Movement Therapy, Medical Marijuana, Feng Shui, Heliotherapy, Reflexology, Unani, Vitamin Therapy, and Yoga Therapy.

Weekly Article

Welcome to everyone who joined the community and everyone who will!

I just want to let you know that i will add a weekly informative post each weak talking about various alternative therapies.

I won't be talking about subjects with no scientific values like astrology and homeopathy but i will do my best to provide you all with valuable knowledge about various subject we expect to be talked here.

My next informative post is gonna be on Biofeedback and the impact of beliefs on your biology. Expect to hear about the HPA axis and a brief review of the human evolution and what can we do to improve our health with knowledge about biology and health in general despite the stressful life we encounter these days.

Stay tuned,
M4
Great stuff, look forward to it ,already learnt some interesting things I didnt know .
Thank you for the time that you are devoting to share your knowledge on the MedHelp forums!

Do you know anything about Neurofeedback? Some friends with a hyperactive child are having her do Neruofeedback sessions to help her focus and concentration. It doesn't seem to have worked very well from what I have observed, sorry to say. Also, a young woman who was receiving ECT at the same time as my husband has been trying it along with medication instead of continuing ECT.

For one to be able to succeed a neurofeedback therapy it should be mixed with knowledge therapy and one have to understand it very well. I know it can be very useful for adults but i doubt it's effectiveness for a child depending his age. From 0 to 3 years old a child will be in constant Delta waves which means that, basically, they are unconscious and awake. Everything you do, say to the child will be imprinted in his subconscious mind and this is why this period is so important in the good development of a child. After the age of 3-4 they will start to operate in Theta brainwaves which for us adults is related to meditation or being drowsy. The meaning of this is the child is partially conscious and self-aware. It also explains why they are able to learn so easily still even out of the Delta brainwaves. The subconscious mind is extremely more powerful than the conscious mind. When they become teens they start to operate in Alpha brainwaves which is a normal brainwave activity for us adults. Conscious mind is upfront and conscious mind in the background rather than the contrary.

Neurofeeback can be useful for someone conscious about his brainwaves activity and how it is affecting is state of mind. A child operating in Delta or Theta brainwaves will maybe not be able to get the point of all this but maybe it can help his development as it will be part of his unconscious mind which can have a positive effect later in his life and like you mentioned yes it can help the focus and concentration by providing visual support of what is going on in the brain.

As for ECT, I'm totally against it and it can have terrible side effects.

Best regards,
M4

Are you the moderator of this forum?  Just wondering, are you an alternative health practitioner?  Because I would like to know really.  Do not mean to be rude.
I am not the moderator of this forum. Only was the first one to get involved in it and i really care about it. I am an alternative health practitioner for the only reason that i consider the wholeness as being an important key role in a better healthy life and planet and in that wholeness it includes alternative health. In fact health must be viewed on the wholeness approach. Just like you and your cells make a whole. If you really want to know my specialties are biology, biochemistry and neurobiology... I have some physics, astrophysics and pharmacology, psychology under my belt too since it's other subjects I am really passionate about but not as much as biology. Biology have to learn from physics, biochemistry must learn from chemistry and chemistry from physics just like in neurobiology you learn a lot on pharmacology. My point is the wholeness.

Since what you eat is what you are and natural remedies are all about biology and biochemistry this is why i think i can be helpful here despite the fact that i never ran a health store or I'm not a doctor or an alternative medicine practitioner.

I'm a self-taught person who went thru the MIT Open Course Ware in biology ( video lectures ), TTC Biology ( audiobooks ), Biochesmitry books, TTC and Standford neurobiology video lectures and some MIT 8.01, 8.02, 8.03 Physics. Oh and Biology 111 from HACC ( audiobooks lectures ),MIT 9.00 Introduction to Spychology and MIT 9.01 Neuroscience and Behavior. Those are the courses i did and i am doing until i can go to the university because now i can't because i got to take care of my mom who has a terminal cancer so that means being at home and help her until she leaves us. After that I'm planing to do get a P.h.D and be useful for real as a researcher or maybe do medicine... Already studying some of that too...Well let's say I'll be ready for whatever i want to go in but my main interests are biology and neuroscience so neurobiology is very appealing and there's still a lot to do in that field.

Why I am here helping people other than to get more experience and learn new things from other people? Because knowledge is useless if you don't share it.

M4
I don't think anyone on this forum or on the complementary medicine forum are licensed practitioners.  We're all to a degree self taught.  I spend 18 years managing health food stores and got extensive training from most of the most experienced practitioners in the country, but of course they were also trying to sell me stuff so I maintain a healthy skepticism.  I don't think MedHelp has a certified naturopath or herbalist on this forum, but there is an expert nutrition forum, but I'm not to keen on the expert, who is mainly a dietician, not a holistic nutritionist, so isn't really "alternative."  We're all here to share what we've learned through reading and experience, but if you seek expert advice, you should see a certified nutritionist or naturopath or homeopathic physician or a master herbalist.
I want to thank you for sharing all you do with us.  I think we must all remain open minded, and if in doubt, check it out for ourselves.  This is what I did, and found you offer excellent, well founded advice. I agree also that we need to look at entire picture as a whole, when evaluating what is best for our overall health.  Our bodies encounter the domino effect when one thing is off, so I look at the big picture. This topic is intriguing and I'm learning a lot....Thanks.
Thanks for the upcoming info.  I have just started looking into where I can find biofeedback therapy and if my insurance will cover it.  I am also very interested in HPA axis insufficiency.  

Thanks again for upcoming info.
Karen
Biofeedback centers are found in all major and most midsize cities. Check
your local Yellow Pages for listings.